The Thank God He Still Has 4 Legs Thread

Guest GiJenn51

Nancy,

arnica gel will clear the bruising up in less than a week. Player who had a really bad break in a race was bruised from head to toe, and arnica gel 4-5 times a day-- his bruising was gone in three days!

I'm so glad that he's home with his family again.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Audrey this is what was written back to my vet as follow up.

Anesthesia, surgery and recovery were all uneventful for Dem Bones. Overall prognosis for a return to normal to near normal function on the limb is excellent. Some degree of stiffness or lameness after increased activity is expected. All hardware can remain in place unless complications (<10%) occur.

Dem Bones will be rechecked at 2 weeks (staples come out then) 6 weeks and 12 weeks. Restricted activity is recommended for the first 6 to 8 weeks.

Me again.

I am hoping the fact that he has been on Fresh Factors for the whole 8 years I have had him and the fact he gets a lot of exercise and is very fit will help him to be not lame or stiff eventually.

Doctor B did take me aside and told me he is happy I decided to try to surgery. He had no qualms about Bones' age because he is so fit and healthy. He felt certain he could do the surgery with no problem and Bones would recover well from it. He just felt it would be unethical to sway me in any direction. The decision had to be mine.

More respect.

Nancy,

arnica gel will clear the bruising up in less than a week. Player who had a really bad break in a race was bruised from head to toe, and arnica gel 4-5 times a day-- his bruising was gone in three days!

I'm so glad that he's home with his family again.

Oh for God's sake, yes!! I HAVE some of that. You guys are great. Thanks Jenn, I didn't even think of it.

Doctor B did take me aside and told me he is happy I decided to try to surgery. He had no qualms about Bones' age because he is so fit and healthy. He felt certain he could do the surgery with no problem and Bones would recover well from it. He just felt it would be unethical to sway me in any direction. The decision had to be mine.

More respect.

That is very impressive! With ethics like that, I think I would trust his judgment on anything he recommended! I'm with you regarding paying for skill, not pleasantries (not that there's anything wrong with being reasonably pleasant :) ) and I'm so glad Dr.B. did/does have that skill! I showed my DH Bones' picture and told him that I know people think I'm paranoid about doors, gates, etc., but I intend to continue being so since I don't ever want to see this happen to one of my dogs! I'm sorry it happened to Bones, but I'm thrilled with his positive outcome. I can't wait to see pictures of him fully healed!

Guest hannahmom

He's home :)

If you can find a non-sore spot, please give him a kiss and tell him that there are people in Nova Scotia who are sending out lots and lots of good wishes.

Guest LolasMom

Oh it's so good to see him home and resting! What a strong boy you are Mr. Bones! Now rest up and feel better soon. :kiss2

Gald he is home. Yes to the arnica gel and bruising. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Winterwish

Nancy I'm so glad he's home! No place like it! and to be back with his mom and pop.

Sending love and get well wishes to you sweetie Bones! :dogcookie:dogcookie:getwell:wub:

UPDATE:

We are getting more organized. After Jenn's suggestion I discovered I only had Arnicia drops, not the gel. off to the health food store while DH took a nap with DaBones. Picked up the Arnicia Gel, some Comfrey leaves for a warm compress and some Milk Thistle to support his liver while he is on all these drugs. Went to the hardware store to pick up a small plastic tarp.

Back home it was time to get Bones outside to pee. We call him up and up he gets! We were given a sling. We use that to support his front end and help him down the 2 stairs to get outside. Once he gets outside he is full weight bearing and actually can walk pretty well.

I hosed his entire leg /shoulder per Heathers suggestion. He has a LOT of swelling and bruising. While DH had him outside, I put the tarp down, swapped out the two dog beds he had been on for 2 crib mattresses that I use in the van. Covered them with clean bedding and brought Bones back in. He has no interest in food tonight, but he is staying hydrated so I am not too worried about that.

Made up the Comfrey compress and applied that. DH stayed with Bones while I walked the other two dogs. Came back from our walk, refreshed the compress. Finally took the compress off, applied the Arnicia gel and our boy is sleeping like a baby.

For last out tonight we are going to hose the shoulder / leg again, repeat the comfrey compress and Arnicia Gel.

He is doing very, very well!

I have a CD of before and after x - rays. They are truly astonishing. I can't seem to figure out how to get them off of the Cd bit I am going to keep trying. I think you would like to see them. Awesome job of restructuring.

I would LOVE to see these films! Can you upload them directly to photobucket from the CD drive? Sometimes there is special radiology software which accompanies the films on the CD, and you might have to install that first in order to view the films.

The gal who did the estimate was off, by about $1200.00. The hospital capped the bill at the highest estimate I was given and ate the $1200.00.

Whoa! My jaw is still dragging on the floor from this one! :eek I hope that poor employee who printed out the estimate still has a job on Monday. :lol

Is there a veterinary Physical Therapist in your area? They may be able to help with maintaining his range-of-motion, not just while he's healing, but on a daily basis to keep him nice and supple. Arnica is da bomb... I use the Arnica Montana 30-C tabs for muscle pain and spasm, and swear by it. You're doing a great job mommy-ing Bones, Nancy! Please give him some smoochies, and tell him that purple is just not his color! :P

PS - if he starts to lick at his incision, a coat should cover most of it up pretty well. If you need a 4-legged jammie, I'm happy to send along Teo's (from when he had his surgeries).

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

The Arnica drops can be used to help with pain and discomfort also. I know you feed raw, but have you thought about probiotics for his tummy while he is on the meds? Milk thistle is great for the liver.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Ya the water should not run over the sutured area.

So just on the lower part of the leg where the swelling might start to pool up :)

Guest LadyChester

Bless his heart ... he looks so relieved to be home! Keep getting better, Bones, and keep doing a great job, Nurse Nancy!

The Arnica drops can be used to help with pain and discomfort also. I know you feed raw, but have you thought about probiotics for his tummy while he is on the meds? Milk thistle is great for the liver.

I have not, but he is already on Reglan and Pepcid for his tummy. I think it is safe to add probiotics yes?

We did hose the shoulder to remove some of the leakage, but we won't do that again. Thank you all!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

A great product to use to clean up some of that nasty drainage but yet won't cause infection is

Nolvasan. That way if you do get some in the sutured area it's ok. They use it during surgeries as well.

Plus it won't stain the skin like Betadine would. Also it doesn't have a sting feeling to it either if some does get in the sutured area

Also I'm not sure if Probiotics and Antibiotics can be used at the same time? Anyone know about that?

Guest greytwannabe

Beware of slippery floors...we don't want him to pull a muscle on top of all he has had to deal with so far.

Hugs and kisses to Brave Bones.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Awesome!!! Bones is home :)

Nancy, he looks really good.

Give him scritches from us here. We're all rooting for him.

Nancy...

Congrats on getting your boy home so quickly....sounds like he is a tough one...like his momma!! Sending lots of strength to you all.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Also I'm not sure if Probiotics and Antibiotics can be used at the same time? Anyone know about that?

My understanding is that the antibiotics will kill the probiotics if used at the same time.

He needs to finish the antibiotics first, then use the probiotics.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest K9_Lady

My understanding is that the antibiotics will kill the probiotics if used at the same time.

I believe thats true. I would check with the Vet if you are unsure.

Glad he is doing well!

I must be mixing up pain-killer and ATB's. Sorry. Head up my ass as usual. :blush

No worries Wendy and thank you for the suggestion. I will add probiotics when the antibiotic is done.

UPDATE:

The boy had a pretty good night. We did not do an evening out at all. He was resting comfortably

so we just let him be. Early AM he was a bit whiny but it was getting close to time for a pain pill. He got that and went right back to sleep.

This morning he went outside under his own power. We stand on either side of him of course, but he is pretty mobile. We lift him down the two small steps he has to get down, but he prefers to walk himself back up.

I hosed the lower leg again this morning. More comfrey compresses and more Arnicia Gel. Right how he is back to bed with a heating pad on his shoulder. He seems to like that the best.

The swelling is greatly reduced as is the bruising. Thank you Heather and Jenn!

I don't have any Nolvasan on hand Heather, but I will go out today to get some. Thank you! He is still draining, but not too bad.

All and all he is doing very well on the road to recovery!

We thank all for your kind thoughts, suggestions, and prayers.

DaBones is going to make it and so are DH and even me.

I will update as necessary but mods feel free to close this thread. Thank you!

Here is a pic of Frakendog from this morning. The anesthetic fog has lifted and he is more himself. He will feel much better when the staples are out.

The other sicky is watching over her big brother.

BonesSunday.gif

Nancy, you don't have to wait to add probiotics until after the antibiotics are done. Probiotics can be given successfully if given two hours before or after antibiotics. (My wonderful vet in CT actually suggested Culturelle while giving antibiotics. It works.)

There's a new kind with inulin in it. Definitely worth a try.

If Bones isn't eating, the abx may be making him nauseous. I know some do that to me. It could be the pain meds, too, though.

Marcia in SC