Putting A Grey Down Due To Dementia / Senility ?

Guest candt

Guest PiagetsMom

With my last girl, who was 14, the senility/dementia was the determining factor in letting her go. She had other health issues as well, but it came to the point that she could no longer be groomed as she was aggressive and distressed to the point of having seizures if it was attempted. She spent most of her day standing with her nose in a corner, not knowing where she was or what she was doing there. And, even when I physically removed her and held her for a time, sooner rather than later, she ended right back there.

Was she suffering mentally or physically? Well, she wasn't crying in pain, but her quality of life was not what I wanted it to be for her. It was still very hard for me to let her go. I think when they're in obvious pain or there's a physical ailment that cannot be resolved, it makes the decision much more obvious.

Piaget is my first grey, so I don't know if it's more common to lose greyhounds to old age/dementia than it is to health/medical complications, which is what I take to be your question.

Edited by PiagetsMom

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there was anything wrong with the question, :dunno or the answers so far, it is personal and depends on lots of factors with the main one being quality of life. Is it common for a dog to be put down simply for having dementia or being a bit more inconvenient? probably not , at least as mentioned not amongst our ranks of dog lovers, but if the dementia leads to a change in their enjoyment of life then that is an entirely different decision.

I guess for pet lovers the answer is you make the best decision you can by combining what your head tells you and what your heart tells you.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Kennelmom, my parent's Husky would do the same thing. He would get "stuck" behind the recliner and stand there panting hard and stressed. When it got to the point that he was scared when my parents guided him away, they made the decision to PTS. I think it was the right one.

Guest dwolfe711

We adopt senior returns and we've had one live long enough to see signs of CCD - our Lizzy was about 13.5 when she started to show signs of confusion at times - she go into a trance and we could hardly get her out of it. She'd go to the door to go out - we'd let her out - she go out and roam and sometimes play - she'd come back in, lie down, and five minutes later be prancing at the door to go back out. We'd let her out and she'd pee immediately - she had forgotten to go the first time. She also several times went in the house right after coming back in because she couldn't make it back to the door in time. She'd be distant at times - she'd go into deep, deep sleeps we could hardly wake her out of. But she was eating well, still ran in the yard at times, and enjoyed our company when she she wasn't in one of her "states" of confusion. I don't know what kind of decision we would have had to make based on her aging, but when she broke her leg running in the yard and the x-rays showed osteo, we had no choice but to send her to the Bridge that day at age 14.5. We now have another 14.5yo girl and a 12yo male - both are healthy and happy and have exhibited no signs of CCD - but I did a lot of research on it and will recognize the symptoms if it hits again. I don't know how/when I'd make the decision to send one to the Bridge based on aging only - but quality of life is the most important thing for me and if they are no longer enjoying life, then it's time to help them move on - so far all of our decisions have been based on a medical condiiton such as osteo or other cancer -

Donna

At the very end, Nevada was getting stuck in small places & crying for me to get her out. She looked lost. I think she had some Neuro issues going on due to the Cushings Disease. She also had to be reminded to eat & once started- to continue to eat. She began falling. It was sad. I'm sure there were dementia issues going on at 15+ years old. I didn't have her PTS because of any inconvience, it was due to I couldn't keep her safe and she was hurting herself. I did it out of love... :wub:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

• 9 years later...
Guest soylette

I'm dealing with this now and I've made and cancelled the appointment twice :( My 15 year old greyhound has degenerative myelopathy and dementia. It's been a steady decline on both issues for about a year now. I work mostly from home, but we have stairs to our front door and I have to carry her up and down the stairs about 8-10x a day. I'm 5'1/110lbs so it's no small feat but I do it with love. AND my squat form is en pointe now lol. Anyways, she struggles to lay down and get up and often her legs slide open when standing too long on regular concrete. I use mats for her food area and have bought carpet tiles for one floor of our house that she is pretty much restrained to. It's a large area but still. She is definitely incontinent even though I take her out every couple hours. During the night she pees on the floor and sometimes poops. Her appetite is good. What gets me is that sometimes she will have bouts of fear/anxiety when she gets stuck and can't get up. I'm usually here so I can get to her right away but a couple times I didn't wake up for about 20 minutes before I heard her and she started pacing in circles, panting, and being very afraid. The combination of the myelopathy and dementia anxiety makes me feel like maybe it's time. But it's so hard to know. I really struggle with this. I'm not sure what to do...

I think by posting you subconsciously have decided that it is time. At 15 the odds of her improving are nil. You've done good by her for a long time. Have no guilt in letting her go, even though I know how bad it will hurt.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest soylette

I think by posting you subconsciously have decided that it is time. At 15 the odds of her improving are nil. You've done good by her for a long time. Have no guilt in letting her go, even though I know how bad it will hurt.

It really really helps to hear this from an outside source who is also a dog lover. All of my other dogs in the past have had cancer and it was very obvious when it was time. I feel terrified this time around wondering if I'm doing it too soon or not.

It really really helps to hear this from an outside source who is also a dog lover. All of my other dogs in the past have had cancer and it was very obvious when it was time. I feel terrified this time around wondering if I'm doing it too soon or not.

The majority of our 20 dogs have been old (over 11) when they came to us. One lasted a month, another less than 2 months, others for 2-3 years. Some we knew when adopting that their time was limited due to a specific medical condition. Others caught us by surprise although we knew it was inevitable.

I *hope* that I let them go at the right time for them, for with each I had the feeling that tomorrow would be too much for them to bear. I hate the feeling of playing God, but it is part of our job as an owner as we are guided by our vets.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest soylette

oh man, it makes me very teary. i adopted her when she was 3. she's been with me through my formative adult years - a terrible breakup, moving across state a couple times, my father's funeral, getting married, etc. i never thought i would get to have her this long and the time i've dreaded is coming too soon. i want to do the best thing for her and not be selfish about it but it's very very difficult :(

Perhaps it would help a little if you had a bucket list for your greyhound that you could complete together? My girl loved the ocean and loved just being in the warm water. We made her a little hole to lay in and the water would come up over her. It gave her comfort. She liked the beach a lot. Favorite meals, a toy, a soft blanket. What ever works for them. When she could no longer walked any more and could not properly do her duty without it getting on her, we knew it was time. But sharing a few more special moments together if you can, will help both of you out a bunch. It is never a good feeling when this happens, but heartbreaking. Just try to do some special things that you may not have had the chance to do before at the end. It helps everyone. As for myself, I go out and bring home another greyhound to fill the hole in my heart immediately. That really helps my soul. Just saying.

This is sure to be a hot button issue.

People have very different ideas as to what "quality of life" is.

I've seen cases of people literally carrying their dogs around because they cannot walk even to relieve themselves and their people are convinced it's in the dog's best interest.

Mental frailty is no different than physical, IMHO. If my dog wasn't himself anymore, if I did not believe he was happy and relaxed and enjoying life, I wouldn't have any problem with putting him down. Until you've watched a beloved family member disappear into dementia, I'm not sure you can completely understand that even if a physical body is still functioning, if their brain is shot, they're already gone.

Someone wrote:

Treat them like there your children.

I have to say, this is a bit absurd to me. We may love them deeply, but they are NOT children. Their lifespan is markedly shorter than ours, and we have to be strong enough to let them go when it's time. It's a gift we can give our pets that we cannot current give to terminally ill people.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My aunt had a very old terrier who had dementia. He would walk around in circles to his left all day. He would wear himself out, fall asleep while walking, then fall over. The jolt from hitting the floor would wake him back up, and he would start the circles again. That's no life for any dog, especially one whom you love so dearly. Sometimes, it is better to let them go.

my late welsh terrier had dementia, very similar description to what is described above. his days and nights were totally confused as well, the poor guy had no peace in his life. other wise, his physical health was remarkable for a 15 year old. but what kind of life was that?

i do know some people who have given suppliments that take quite a while to kick in and don't really do the trick. consider how both you, your family and the poor dog's life are turned upside down by this ultimate confusion. is it fair to let them exist in chaos and confusion? i couldn't let my clever, quick, funny willie wonka exist like this, he no longer could be crated or contained in a room, peed in his bed and rolled in it a couple of times a day, got stuck in corners and rooms and couldn't find his way out, paced non-stop, BUT STILL CHASED THE SOCCER BALL!! . he like the other dogs in my life is sorely missed, but i know i made the right decision.

Better too soon I think than too late. Don't forget, they're not human, they're not worrying about what happens next, they're experiencing life in the moment.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest soylette

Thank you for your replies. I'm making the appointment. I have a vet who will come to our home. Suki's able to walk up and down the parking lot, but not much further. She's generally in a good or neutral mood, but I was going through some old photos of her where she was obviously experiencing so much joy just being alive - and she doesn't really have that anymore - even though she does still love her homemade food and treats. I drank half a bottle of wine last night in tears and contacted her original foster mom who rescues greyhounds just to let her know. Part of me feels resistance. I sooo don't want to do this. I am pretty sure she could physically live a few more months. I just don't think the quality of life will be so great. It is probably the gentlest thing to do to spare her the decline.

You are a good and loving owner, and have already gone that extra mile perhaps a dozen times. It is heartbreakingly hard to let them go, but we will have made an unspoken promise to them that we won't let them suffer when we finally see that their quality of life is moving deeper into the negative balance. I don't think I could own another dog if I didn't feel I could keep that promise. It's one of the reasons why I'm sometimes slow to readopt.

Where you are now there is no blame, only love. :bighug

. It's been a steady decline on both issues for about a year now. I work mostly from home, but we have stairs to our front door and I have to carry her up and down the stairs about 8-10x a day. I'm 5'1/110lbs so it's no small feat but I do it with love.... she struggles to lay down and get up and often her legs slide open when standing too long on regular concrete. I use mats for her food area and have bought carpet tiles for one floor of our house that she is pretty much restrained to. It's a large area but still. She is definitely incontinent even though I take her out every couple hours. During the night she pees on the floor and sometimes poops. Her appetite is good. What gets me is that sometimes she will have bouts of fear/anxiety when she gets stuck and can't get up. I'm usually here so I can get to her right away but a couple times I didn't wake up for about 20 minutes before I heard her and she started pacing in circles, panting, and being very afraid. The combination of the myelopathy and dementia anxiety makes me feel like maybe it's time.

Thank you for your replies. I'm making the appointment. I have a vet who will come to our home. Suki's able to walk up and down the parking lot, but not much further. She's generally in a good or neutral mood, but I was going through some old photos of her where she was obviously experiencing so much joy just being alive - and she doesn't really have that anymore - even though she does still love her homemade food and treats. Part of me feels resistance. I sooo don't want to do this. I am pretty sure she could physically live a few more months. I just don't think the quality of life will be so great. It is probably the gentlest thing to do to spare her the decline.

I completely understand and have been in a similar situation many times. As someone who moved downstairs over a year ago to care for my then physically healthy 14 1/2 year old Greyhound, I whole-heartedly feel that you know what is best for your beloved girl. Their lack of limb control can eventually become too dangerous to leave the room for anything (retrieving mail; taking garbage out, etc.). Each fall can be terrifying for the hound and can cause new injuries and extreme pain (which they naturally try to conceal, but panting and pacing can be an indicator of pain, unless hound is extremely desperate for a potty outing and relaxes immediately thereafter). I successfully nursed the same hound through a sudden temporary paralysis when she was about age 9-10, but irreversible lack of limb control upon reaching the advanced age of 15+ is completely different. Some extremely ill geriatric dogs will continue to eat normally, so unfortunately, that's not a sole indicator for humans to know when it's time. Their physical health and quality of life picture is more revealing.

From what you've posted about your girl's debilitating conditions, it appears that she may be struggling too much now. You've been a great pet parent in assisting her through her final stages of life. Please try not to question yourself when it comes to preventing a beloved, elderly ill pet's suffering. I imagine your hound's veterinarian would concur with you about releasing your beloved girl from her advanced terminally debilitating conditions.

Perhaps consider taking photos of her now, and if she's furry enough, you might carefully clip some fur as your special permanent keepsake of her.

(Later, sometimes when looking back on a geriatric pet's latest photos, it becomes more clear how far advanced their illness had become.)

If interested, here is a hospice veterinarian's video: https://www.lapoflove.com/Quality-of-Life/Determining-Pet-Quality-of-Life

:grouphug

Edited by 3greytjoys

Just hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mine too, just many many hugs for you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest soylette

Thank you again everyone. The appointment is set for next Friday. I'm a wailing mess. I have about a week to spoil her and say goodbyes. If you would like to see some of her last days, I'm documenting on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/soylette/

I definitely feel more and more that it's the right thing to do and your input has helped me immensely. It doesn't hurt any less though :(

Just followed you on IG. What a lovely girl your Suki is. I'm so sorry it's time to say goodbye. Many hugs to you both.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Suki is a very beautiful girl.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png