Penny Suffered Heat Stroke This Weekend

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

I picked up Pen Poo from the ER vet this morning and transported her to our reg vet. The ER vet said they they gave her two more units of fresh frozen blood last night. They also said that she has had no new bruising. Overall, the night was uneventful; just what we wanted.

She immediately recognized me and practicaly trotted to the car and jumped right in th back seat. We sat in the parking lot waiting for the vet to open while I fed her some treats. The bonding time was wonderful! When i tried to get her out of the car, she stated to come out until she saw where she was. She immediately backed into the car and promptly sat back down very defiantly. It was so cute! I kneeled down and said, "Pen, mom really needs you to just get out of the car." With no prodding, she came out. Once we walked into the vets office, she peed all over the floor! This is a wonderful sign as far as I'm concerned. It means that her brain is working enough for her to realize that she is scared. That most likely means no brain damage. :)

We will get more test results later. I know that while she looks great on the outside, things are still going on inside...but from what I can see, she is doing really really well. :)

:) :) :) :) :) :)

PENNY.jpg

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been so worried about her and afraid to read the updates. I'm so glad that she is doing well.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest SquanHound

I am glad she is starting to come back to herself :yay (even if it meant cleaning up a mess at the vets :blush). I hope she has another "uneventful" day and that she continues to be your miracle baby!! Continued prayers coming your way...

Edited by SquanHound

Guest PiagetsMom

Glad to hear that you're feeling encouraged this morning and I hope that by the end of the day there will be good results to report - good thoughts sent your way! :)

Come on Penny. You're doing so well. We're all pulling for you!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I picked up Pen Poo from the ER vet this morning and transported her to our reg vet. The ER vet said they they gave her two more units of fresh frozen blood last night. They also said that she has had no new bruising. Overall, the night was uneventful; just what we wanted.

She immediately recognized me and practicaly trotted to the car and jumped right in th back seat. We sat in the parking lot waiting for the vet to open while I fed her some treats. The bonding time was wonderful! When i tried to get her out of the car, she stated to come out until she saw where she was. She immediately backed into the car and promptly sat back down very defiantly. It was so cute! I kneeled down and said, "Pen, mom really needs you to just get out of the car." With no prodding, she came out. Once we walked into the vets office, she peed all over the floor! This is a wonderful sign as far as I'm concerned. It means that her brain is working enough for her to realize that she is scared. That most likely means no brain damage. :)

We will get more test results later. I know that while she looks great on the outside, things are still going on inside...but from what I can see, she is doing really really well. :)

:) :) :) :) :) :)

PENNY.jpg

C'mon, Miss Penny......hang in there! You've got lots and lots of people thinking of you.

What a nice surprise to get that picture on my cell this morning........it made my day. :)

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

This is so encouraging! Hang in there, Stephanie, and lots of :hope and :grouphug for Penny. I hope the vet will let you start bringing her home at night soon, but try to be patient until he says its OK! You don't want a midnight trip to the E-vet!

Just saw this thread now. I really feel for what you're going through - my biggest fear is of my spooky girl getting loose. Do contact Dr. Couto if you haven't yet. He has a lot of experience with DIC and if nothing else, may be able to reassure you that you're taking all of the steps that you can.

I'll be watching for updates and rooting for Penny all the while. She is beautiful by the way!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest BradyzMommy
Just saw this thread now. I really feel for what you're going through - my biggest fear is of my spooky girl getting loose. Do contact Dr. Couto if you haven't yet. He has a lot of experience with DIC and if nothing else, may be able to reassure you that you're taking all of the steps that you can.

I'll be watching for updates and rooting for Penny all the while. She is beautiful by the way!

I have contacted him and am waiting for a reply.

So good to hear encouraging news. Hoping she continues to get better by the minute. Will continue prayers for you

both until she is home and 100%.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson