I Am Devestated...

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trevdog

Yes, please try the baby food....it has nutrients in it too. How about Ensure, would he drink that?

Is he still on meds to upset his tummy?

Rusty had pancreatitis, right? if so, I would be very careful what you feed him...he needs bland, bland, bland. I'm surprised the vet didn't give you some cans of ID. I would have pepcid on hand to give him and I would probably just feed him boiled chicken and rice for a while. no treats and nothing fatty at all. I sure hope he feels better soon :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

In addition to all the other great ideas on feeding you've gotten, with my heart hound Molly I fed her Hill's AD with a syringe type thing, I believe you can find them at most drug stores. The AD is loose enough that the syringe will suck it up then you can put it kind of in the side of their mouth and "push" it out a little at a time. Once it's on the tongue they will usually go ahead and swallow. Although I do not normally care for Hill's products, in the case of sick dogs or post surgery dogs I have found that a lot of times they will lap up the AD with the syringe. Your vet may even have them. Once they start to get hungry then I would move on to baked chicken, boiled hamburger, lean roast beef (cooked in Crock Pot so very tender).

Sending more prayers for Rusty. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

did the vet say that he should be eating? it's just that I went through pancreatitis with my dog and the worst thing you could do is to just give him all this willy nilly stuff. his system is trying to recover and if he isn't eating, maybe he shouldn't be yet? giving him a bunch of stuff that he's not used to eating will only tax his system more. I would just make sure that he's not getting dehydrated and when he is ready to eat, start by giving him small amounts of very bland food. maybe preescription diet ID or even boiled chicken and rice. you can also give him a pepcid when he is acting like he's in pain...that is what was given to my dog by IV at the vet's office along with fluid.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Snowy8

It was his spleen....it was ruptured, had to be removed.

Jey, those are some good ideas...and baby food...I've heard it stinks & they love it!

Guest nerak254

When we were trying to get Goody turned around, I fed with a syringe too. I went to the coop and got a horse one. That worked better and was bigger.

The last few months for Jessica involved a recipe of: vanilla ice cream, rice, and kibble. She also liked Dintey Moore Beef Stew. I used a qt of vanilla and a big pan full of rice along with kibble and other stuff I thought she'd like. It worked most of the time.

Guest vahoundlover

OH DEAR! Rusty sweetie, you have got to eat :hope:hope:hope When Buster pulls the "no food" routine, Ice cream always gets his appetite back he loves vanilla or strawberry.

Keeping Rusty in my prayers and a :grouphug for you.

It was his spleen....it was ruptured, had to be removed.

Both, if I'm reading right. See posts #102 (gazehund) and #125 (nygreys).

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest 2greygirls

I second the rotisserie chickens from the supermarket...boiled chicken with the chicken broth over rice..... boiled ground beef, or buffalo ( leaner)..pepcid with meals? ( normal dose NOT extra strength), liver..you can get that sliced, frozen..goes over well here..the ensure idea is a good one.. come on Rusty eat just a bit.....

Guest gr84me
I second the rotisserie chickens from the supermarket...boiled chicken with the chicken broth over rice..... boiled ground beef, or buffalo ( leaner)..pepcid with meals? ( normal dose NOT extra strength), liver..you can get that sliced, frozen..goes over well here..the ensure idea is a good one.. come on Rusty eat just a bit.....

Brody's vet gave us the Hill's ID but he wouldn't eat it, which disappointed me because I know that it's bland and high calorie - just the thing for dogs with sore tummies who need to eat.

Other things to try (besides Ensure): scrambled eggs (like Batmom said); boiled chicken (use no-sodium broth) with either noodes or rice (Brody would eat the noodles but not the rice and he couldn't chew the roasted/rotisserie chicken); vanilla ice cream; boiled hamburger with rice or noodles; roast beef with mashed potatoes; boiled hamburger with melted cheese; mashed potatoes cooked in no-sodium chicken broth; plain no sodium chicken broth to drink instead of water. Stinky but not spicy and nothing with any sort of roughage worked okay. He would eat a bit of all of the above, then wanted something different next time. As I posted earlier, I finally took some of his regular kibble, added water until it turned to mush, heated it up and put just a bit of garlic powder on it, and he loved it. No tummy or diarrhea problems, either, because he was used to the food.

Partially, I think he just got better enough to the point that he could tolerate regular food. His high fever broke and once all the IV fluids were eliminated and all the swelling from that went down, he was a little more interested in food. From the time he came home from surgery until he started eating his regular kibble, I hand-fed him every hour or two. I sat right down on the floor with him and used a large syringe-type medicine dropper with the Ensure, and then mushed up the other food and fed it by spoonful, just like feeding a baby. At first, I had to hold his head up to feed the Ensure, and it was just maybe a teaspoon at a time, but it quickly got so that he would take a significant amount. I gave him water by medicine dropper at the very first, too. The other posters are right - if you put a small amount in his mouth and it's mushy enough so he won't choke, he will swallow it. Feeding Brody pretty much consumed 24 hours of the day for 3 or 4 days after he came home, and he just didn't have the strength to eat on his own.

Continued prayers and good thoughts!

Rusty ate about 1/2 cup of canned dog food last night around 6:00pm. :thumbs-up

This is the first time since his surgery that he's eaten what he should be eating. :yay

The night went well, he kept it down.

This morning the lazy bones got up around 9:30. :P

I got his 1/2 cup of food ready, crossed my fingers, and brought him his breakfast

in bed. :food:inlove

He ate All of it!!!! :banana:pinkele:yay:clap

About 11:00am I gave him another 1/2 cup, he ate that to! Can you tell I'm Happy!!! :bounce1

He's been getting so week and he's lost a lot of weight, but if he keeps

eating he'll get stronger everyday! It's noon and he's taking his nap now. :nappy

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes for Rusty, I appreciate it soooo much.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to check on my sleepy head now, and give

him a big kiss. :kiss2:wub::)