Old Story Revisited: The Non-Blessing of the Hounds

These accounts of houndies getting blessed over the weekend reminded me of the one time I tried it with mine, six or seven years ago.  Remember the story?  Milo and Jeter hopped in the car and off we went to the outdoor celebration at the local Episcopalian church.  I thought it would be a nice opportunity to to mingle with other dogs and dog people.  And so it was, for a short time.   I had a nice chat with a lady whose two spaniels were AKC certified for just about everything possible, and she was interested to hear that the hounds were therapy dogs.  The service had already started when a large SUV pulled up and out of  the back door came ... (pause for dramatic music -- dum dum DUMMMMM) -- a miniature goat.

Milo, previously his usual polite and charming self, lost. his. mind.  He barked.  He howled.  He tried his utmost to drag me and Jeter (who was looking like he wished he had stayed at home) over to the goat so he could KILL it.  I could not quiet him.  I could not control his tugging and lunging.  My new aquaintance had her mouth open and eyes bugging out in horrified astonishment.  The priest was trying to speak over Milo's ruckus and saying something like Jesus would want us to follow in his footsteps and treat all of God's creatures with loving kindness and Milo was arguing that what Jesus would have done was to have served that goat for BARBECUE.

I slowly managed to pull the dogs out of the small crowd, Milo howling and lunging the entire time, and we left in disgrace.  Never to return.  

• Haha 11

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

What a great narration! I am sorry but :rofl Plusalso, there's a missing piece but I'm guessing that no blessing took place of Milo and Jeter :lol

1 hour ago, ramonaghan said:

Oh, Milo. Should we give you an honorary IE a la AnnIE? (For verrrry different reasons.)

Hey! :tomato

• Haha 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I took Ninja (my kelpie mix) last year, he wasn't tooo bad. Missed it this weekend as my car has been in the shop, but actually I've been thinking the blessing may not be enough, I should look into dog exorcism options :-)

• Haha 3

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

What a great story.  For those of us who didn't have to live it.  :lol:

My first dog was a redoubtable miniature long haired Dachshund, Clair.  Clair and I went to the Blessing of the Animals at my church one lovely fall.  She was as fascinated by the goat that someone brought as s/he was with Claire.  Fortunately, theirs was friendly interest. It was toddlers that Claire wanted to kill. :eek

Edited by LBass
I can usually spell but I can't type worth a toot.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

On 10/9/2024 at 4:50 PM, Patsy said:

I often agree with Clair! 🤪

I'm glad you said it first! :lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

On 10/8/2024 at 11:01 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

The priest was trying to speak over Milo's ruckus and saying something like Jesus would want us to follow in his footsteps and treat all of God's creatures with loving kindness and Milo was arguing that what Jesus would have done was to have served that goat for BARBECUE.

:spoot  :rofl 

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound