What’s New In Corn Management?!

Oakley recently turned 8! And for her birthday, the universe gave her a very painful corn on one of her rear paw middle toes. So far, I am using Pam’s duct tape process to coax the corn out, and she wears a boot to get around, otherwise she would be “tripodding”. I haven’t attempted to soak it yet, what do y’all suggest for a soaking liquid?

Use a couple tablespoons of epsom salts to a cup-ish of hot water and dissolve.  Soak a wash cloth or other cloth in the solution (leftover can be saved) and wrap her foot.  Cover with a plastic bag and secure the bag so water doesn't leak out - vet wrap is probably the easiest.  Soak for as long as she'll stand it.  I personally wouldn't do it for longer than it takes to cool off, but some folks do it overnight.  Moisturize the pads afterwards with Burt's Bees Hand Cream, or other non-petroleum-based moisturizer for cracked heels (not petroleum jelly or paw wax)  If you can manage this at least a couple times a day it helps draw out and loosen the corn.

The biggest "new" thing is a product called Animaltex.  Use it like you would the duct tape.

The recently developed surgery called Flexor Tenotomy seems to be finally offering some permanent help for corn sufferers.  It essentially cuts the flexor tendon to the affected toe creating a "sprung toe" effect.  Many people report complete healing within about two weeks.  The issue being experienced is that additional corns can pop up on adjacent toes or other feet, and while additional tendon surgeries don't necessarily have a down side (multiple sprung toes occur naturally on retired racers all the time), it is something to take into consideration.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I still use the old wives tale of duck tape.  After a week or so, I am able to pick out the corn with my finger nail.  And, sadly, it does come back.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Chris, it looks like Burt's Bees has multiple choices for hand cream, which one is the one you recommend?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Looks like this one is the closest to what we used to use.  But any cream used for "repair" or cracked heels or foot cream or rough hands - ultra moisturizing cream - will work.

Burt's Bees Hand Salve

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 1 month later...

This greyhound corn cream worked for Leo: https://glutathionepharmacist.com/product.html?id=0a498e18-eb73-11e6-e8a3-0b2f21afbb7d. I’ve only had to buy one jar and it has resolved his corns—I haven’t had to think about them for years. (I still keep it in the refrigerator just in case!) It’s a bit of a regimen but I followed it every time corns popped up and eventually they were gone for good.🤞🏽Good luck!

On 5/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, greysmom said:

Looks like this one is the closest to what we used to use.  But any cream used for "repair" or cracked heels or foot cream or rough hands - ultra moisturizing cream - will work.

Burt's Bees Hand Salve

The Burt's Bee's Hand Salve works well for corns. Petunia and Kate both had terrible corns. We used this on their paw pads nightly and it definitely helped. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 1 month later...

So Mac has been limping on & off for the 2 years I have had here.  Had full xrays and normal.  Last week she started again and low and behold I noticed a corn on her back paw.  I tried some of the things mention above.  Thera paw does not stay on,  she screams with the epsom salt and even to touch it she is in a lot of pain.  Went to a vet this morning who I trust 100% feels it is infected and wants to de bulk it.  She didn't say hulling but just surgery to remove it.  I don't feel like I have time to find a surgeon to perform the tendon release I doubt many vets are experienced with this (maybe I am wrong).   I'm going to move ahead with the surgery and then start to to seek out the tendon surgery.  Any thoughts.  She is on antibiotics, gaba and a NSAID.  

Sorry.  Just seeing this.

Generally it's not recommended to do removal surgery on corns.  The recovery is long and painful, and the corn starts growing back immediately.  But if it's infected, perhaps draining the toe will help, along with some antibiotics.  Also, there could be a foreign body inside the toe, either encapsulated inside the corn or separate from it but causing the infection.  Again, in this particular case, surgery might help.  

I think if you visit the Flexor Tenotomy Page of Facebook, they *may* either have a list of vets who do the surgery, or you can ask the membership for recommendations in your area.  Also, if your vet is interested in learning how to do the procedure, the veterinarian (Dr Guilliard, I think) who created it is usually quite helpful.  That info can also be found on the FB page.

Day #7 of antibiotic.  Gaba 20mg bid.  She is tearing up the back yard running at top speed.  Chasing squirrels.  No pain with pushing on the pad or corn.  I'm cancelling the surgery for now.   Doesn't seem all that successful and I'll continue conservative measure.   Fingers crossed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi lovely folk! Didn't think this was worth starting a whole new thread so hope OP doesn't mind me hijacking theirs :D

Just wondering if this is a corn? I just noticed it on my longboi's front paw. Doesn't seem to be giving him any pain or trouble, and it's very small, but want to get on top of it early if that's what it is! 

370623696_2391884197659122_2596806952259872822_n.jpg

370592723_845637887142686_1819744994289292008_n.jpg

It's a bit hard to tell whether it's a corn or just a worn spot in his pad. When you squeeze the pad there, does it feel hard (like you're squeezing against something embedded) or pliable? That's how I could tell with Willa. I just hulled hers today and it really does feel like a pebble when you get that sucker out.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

9 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

It's a bit hard to tell whether it's a corn or just a worn spot in his pad. When you squeeze the pad there, does it feel hard (like you're squeezing against something embedded) or pliable? That's how I could tell with Willa. I just hulled hers today and it really does feel like a pebble when you get that sucker out.

Thanks so much for replying! It feels pretty smooth and soft, nothing hard that I can make out, so maybe it is just a rough patch. He's never had a nail on that toe since we adopted him, so could be that pad gets more pressure on it than the others and that's what's caused it.  :dunno

So hard to tell with these goobers whether something is wrong or not. My boy has the classic greyhound trait of dramatically screaming at a slight owie, then remaining in stoic silence through things that must really hurt! Defs going to keep an eye on it, and hope he'll actually let me know if it's bothering him 

Thanks again for your help :)

15 hours ago, MooMooTheGreyt said:

Hi lovely folk! Didn't think this was worth starting a whole new thread so hope OP doesn't mind me hijacking theirs :D

Just wondering if this is a corn? I just noticed it on my longboi's front paw. Doesn't seem to be giving him any pain or trouble, and it's very small, but want to get on top of it early if that's what it is! 

370623696_2391884197659122_2596806952259872822_n.jpg

370592723_845637887142686_1819744994289292008_n.jpgl

ooks like a baby corn. personally i hull them. annie who was super sensitive had a teeny corn like that an immediately applied for workmen's comp