Hi From AZ

Kayra

Hi from Arizona.  I'm Kate, a retired Great Dane Breeder, and now have a young Greyhound puppy to fill my senior years.  I thought I knew all puppies... till my sweet Kayra. lol  She is a wild puppy, (almost 5 mo old now) and a lot more of a challenge to teach, protect, and train than any Dane puppy I ever knew.  Any pointers?

Kayra Avatar Small.jpg

Success is just a failure turned inside out.... 

Hello from Peoria.

Greyhound puppies are called Land Sharks. You have one adorable Land Shark there. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Patience and finding the right yummy treat to motivate her!  Remember, the drive to please their owner is not part of a greyhounds DNA.  They have been bred for hundreds, if not thousands, of years to work independently.  So making training a part of play, or using shaping techniques like clicker training will work better than traditional obedience.

At this age they can't - and won't - concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time, so many short sessions a day works better than one longer one.  Make sure you also work on crate training if you ever want to leave the house!

We had Great Danes for many years before downsizing to greyhounds too.  They are similar in many respects, but more alike as older adults than as puppies.  Greyhound puppies need a lot more exercise than our Danes to tire them out.  A lot.  Really.  So get her vaccinated and start socializing her!  Doggy Day care can be wonderful if she's confident and outgoing.  If you're a runner, nows the time to begin conditioning her for longer distances.  They're bred for sprinting, but can learn to love running longer distances.  Hiking when it's not too hot, as well.

Enjoy your new puppy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:wave I too downsized from Gr Danes to greyhounds. Five hounds = one Dane :lol 

Welcome to the wonderful greyhound community! Stop by often and let us know how pretty Kayra is doing! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Welcome!  Your Kayra is a cutie.  Greysmom always offer the informed advice and I know she's reared a Greyhound puppy.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

14 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Hello from Peoria.

Greyhound puppies are called Land Sharks. You have one adorable Land Shark there. :lol

lol  "Land Shark" is the perfect description of her out in the yard.  Once her sprint is done, she's always with nose to the ground, rooting out whatever she can try to eat; sticks are not safe, and even finding the odd mouse.  She gets vicious if anyone tries to get the mouse from her.  Little shark, for sure. lol

12 hours ago, greysmom said:

Patience and finding the right yummy treat to motivate her!  Remember, the drive to please their owner is not part of a greyhounds DNA.  They have been bred for hundreds, if not thousands, of years to work independently.  So making training a part of play, or using shaping techniques like clicker training will work better than traditional obedience.

At this age they can't - and won't - concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time, so many short sessions a day works better than one longer one.  Make sure you also work on crate training if you ever want to leave the house!

We had Great Danes for many years before downsizing to greyhounds too.  They are similar in many respects, but more alike as older adults than as puppies.  Greyhound puppies need a lot more exercise than our Danes to tire them out.  A lot.  Really.  So get her vaccinated and start socializing her!  Doggy Day care can be wonderful if she's confident and outgoing.  If you're a runner, nows the time to begin conditioning her for longer distances.  They're bred for sprinting, but can learn to love running longer distances.  Hiking when it's not too hot, as well.

Enjoy your new puppy!

Hi Greysmom,

Excellent info hun; you sound like me on the background of Danes, and how to love and train them.  The greyhound, for me, is new territory.  First thing I noticed was that independence, and non-receptiveness... (and non-compliance) so opposite the Dane.  It's good to hear that she will be less like an independent cat (yuck... I'm not a cat person at all) and more like a dog in adulthood.  Luckily we have an acre for her running, and she is a natural fetcher, because I am old, and can no longer run or even walk very far; although I can sprint pretty good if there's an emergency. lol

Aside from the independence, she does love to cuddle a LOT, and will cuddle on my lap for a short time before she has to wiggle and play some more.  She is absolutely brilliant though; sometimes blindingly brilliant. lol  She learns so fast, and you can hear the wheels turning in calculations, in her head, all the time.  Oh, and I think she is part monkey.  lolol  She is quite an experience, for sure.

Good to meet you hun.

11 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:wave I too downsized from Gr Danes to greyhounds. Five hounds = one Dane :lol 

Hi FiveRoooooers, good to meet ya.  I agree with you on the 5 = 1. lol   She is a going concern; a lot like a terrible two toddler when she doesn't get her way. lol  This is definitely a big new experience.

41 minutes ago, LBass said:

Welcome!  Your Kayra is a cutie.  Greysmom always offer the informed advice and I know she's reared a Greyhound puppy.

Thanks LBass, and good to meet you. 

Welcome from Wisconsin! Kayra is cute! I have no puppy experience but my current greyhound was a brood momma and has no problem yelling at unruly puppies. I could send her to you for while. :lol:

• Haha 1
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Welcome to you and Kayra!  

I have to admit that one of the big attractions for me with retired racing greyhounds is skipping the puppy stage.  But now we get to enjoy it vicariously through you.  :)    

How old was Kayra when you got her?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:wave   Hi Kate and Kayra!   What an exciting new chapter in your life!   None of our greys were adopted as puppies, but Ivy had just turned 2 when we adopted her and acted like a puppy too.    The level of energy is amazing!   Enjoy your beautiful girl and come back to Greytalk often.   We have a lot of great information on this site and lots of fun too!

gallery_22163_3545_8773.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, Jerilyn said:

Welcome from Wisconsin! Kayra is cute! I have no puppy experience but my current greyhound was a brood momma and has no problem yelling at unruly puppies. I could send her to you for while. :lol:

Hi Jerilyn, good to meet you.  lol  a good brood mama would've been handy a few weeks ago, but were getting it all under control here now.  I didn't realize just how intelligent greyhounds are.  Such a treat.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, MerseyGrey said:

Hello and welcome! I have no puppy experience (Buddy was mid-life crisis age when we adopted him) but I am looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing your stories!

Thanks, and I will.  I'll come back in here and share more pics as she grows, and share her stories.  

On 3/2/2023 at 7:14 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

Welcome to you and Kayra!  

I have to admit that one of the big attractions for me with retired racing greyhounds is skipping the puppy stage.  But now we get to enjoy it vicariously through you.  :)    

How old was Kayra when you got her?  

Kayra was 14 weeks old when I first got her; she is from Cali, and was road-delivered to us in AZ; I think it was a 16 hour drive in a crate, in the back of a van for her, (with many potty stops along the way) but it was such a wonderful night, the night she arrived.  She was soooooo sweet, then turned into a holy terror by the next morning. lol  A Greyhound's terrible twos are an experience to behold. lolol  Luckily puppies age about 3 of our years, every 4 months in their first year. LOTS of growth in this first year, so the passing phases are quick.  She is fast becoming a sweet, loving fur child, eager to learn everything there is to learn, and more.  She even plays her own version of hide and seek...  lolol  she will hide here eyes under the blanket hanging from the couch, thinking we can't see her if she can't see us.  She is such a clown.  Thanks for the warm welcome. :-)

On 3/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, Potomacpupsmom said:

:wave   Hi Kate and Kayra!   What an exciting new chapter in your life!   None of our greys were adopted as puppies, but Ivy had just turned 2 when we adopted her and acted like a puppy too.    The level of energy is amazing!   Enjoy your beautiful girl and come back to Greytalk often.   We have a lot of great information on this site and lots of fun too!

Yes, this is definitely a new chapter.  I had just lost my service dog of 12 years; my beautiful Sarah.  A Harlequin Great Dane with the most loving spirit, so losing her left me as an empty shell.  I decided the only way I would be able to emerge from my tears of sadness, would be to get a new puppy, and I knew at my age, I better downsize... then I saw Kayra (Oreo at that time) on puppies.com, and I fell in love.  It's been an uphill road since then.  I will never stop missing my Sarah, BUT Kayra sure is making the sadness move over with her funny little character, as we get to know each other.  It's a love affair that's blooming here, for sure. lol  Only wish I could get her sister and brother; they are still on that website looking for a home.  Breaks my heart to see them, but I guess greyhound puppies are not a common puppy that people look for.  Thanks again, for the welcome.

19 hours ago, Dad2Paisley said:

Hi and welcome.

Hi Dad2Paisley, and thank you for the welcome.  Good to meet you hun.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 6:08 PM, Kayra said:

Thanks, and I will.  I'll come back in here and share more pics as she grows, and share her stories.  

Kayra was 14 weeks old when I first got her; she is from Cali, and was road-delivered to us in AZ; I think it was a 16 hour drive in a crate, in the back of a van for her, (with many potty stops along the way) but it was such a wonderful night, the night she arrived.  She was soooooo sweet, then turned into a holy terror by the next morning. lol  A Greyhound's terrible twos are an experience to behold. lolol  Luckily puppies age about 3 of our years, every 4 months in their first year. LOTS of growth in this first year, so the passing phases are quick.  She is fast becoming a sweet, loving fur child, eager to learn everything there is to learn, and more.  She even plays her own version of hide and seek...  lolol  she will hide here eyes under the blanket hanging from the couch, thinking we can't see her if she can't see us.  She is such a clown.  Thanks for the warm welcome. :-)

Yes, this is definitely a new chapter.  I had just lost my service dog of 12 years; my beautiful Sarah.  A Harlequin Great Dane with the most loving spirit, so losing her left me as an empty shell.  I decided the only way I would be able to emerge from my tears of sadness, would be to get a new puppy, and I knew at my age, I better downsize... then I saw Kayra (Oreo at that time) on puppies.com, and I fell in love.  It's been an uphill road since then.  I will never stop missing my Sarah, BUT Kayra sure is making the sadness move over with her funny little character, as we get to know each other.  It's a love affair that's blooming here, for sure. lol  Only wish I could get her sister and brother; they are still on that website looking for a home.  Breaks my heart to see them, but I guess greyhound puppies are not a common puppy that people look for.  Thanks again, for the welcome.

Hi Dad2Paisley, and thank you for the welcome.  Good to meet you hun.  

me too

d2psig.jpg

• 10 months later...

Been a while since I came in here, and so much has happened since my last time here, but Kayra is growing up to be suck a dear.  She has developed into a sweet, tiny little greyhound girl that still has to kiss us when going to bed, at awakening for her snuggles, and any time she comes back in from playing and zooming.  lol  She has entwined herself into our hearts and our love for her become so strong.  Thought I would include some pictures here, but the file size allowed here is wayyyy too small for any sort of photos.  So sad.  I will try to reduce the (already tiny) filesize, and come back to post pics of her growth.  I know many have adopted adults, so I thought it might be nice for y'all to see a happy puppy as she grew.

Welcome back,Kayra. Are you on Facebook? If so, it's kinda easy to share your photos from there:  on FB click on the photo and select copy image link, return to GT and paste. Your image will be too big to post so when you see your photo do a left double click.  In the box that pops up only change the size by entering 444 or 333 in the left side box, the right box will adjust itself.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png