Mouth Injury? UPDATE - Found the problem - Post # 13 3/4/22

Never a dull moment here - we woke up to small spots of blood on the bedroom carpet everywhere that Mark laid his head last night.  He was not sick, didn't vomit etc.  We heard him licking and didn't think much of it because he is a serial licker. Tell him to stop, he stops, then starts again. 

Anyway, on checking, there are no loose teeth that we can detect, nothing still bleeding, and no obvious trauma.  He is licking the air, out of the front of his mouth when he licks.  I'm assuming that he may have bit his tongue or cut it clightly on a tooth, but there is nothing obvious, 

Late yesterday evening, Mark and Lavida were running back and forth to the door because the neighbors had multiple cars showing up for their bible study. Cars = excitement and company, so both of them kept running back and forth. At one one point, Mark bumped the corner of a wall and we heard a "thunk." No obvious injury or yelp etc at that point. We are thinking that he bit his tongue at that time and it started bothering him later. Other than watching for anything obvious or more bleeding, is there anything else that the vet would check that we haven't looked for?  I've never had a dog with a mouth injury, so haven't dealt with this before.  He let us check his teeth and they look fine. He just had a dental with the adoption group vet in January. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

No advice on what more to check than you already have, but I wanted to say that Sweep had a cut/abrasion on her tongue after one of her surgeries. She must have bitten it in her zonked-out state or it was from her intubation. We gave her Manuka honey a couple times a day, which she was totally on board with, and it healed up quickly. 

Hope it's nothing and Mark is good as new soon!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

47 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

No advice on what more to check than you already have, but I wanted to say that Sweep had a cut/abrasion on her tongue after one of her surgeries. She must have bitten it in her zonked-out state or it was from her intubation. We gave her Manuka honey a couple times a day, which she was totally on board with, and it healed up quickly. 

Hope it's nothing and Mark is good as new soon!

I know that Mark will be on board with Manuka Honey! Thanks for the suggestion. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Have you looked up his nose with a flashlight? Maybe be a nasal polyp rupture?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

2 hours ago, macoduck said:

Have you looked up his nose with a flashlight? Maybe be a nasal polyp rupture?

No but will check it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  We were assuming it was his mouth but will definitely check his nose a little closer.  A bloody nose makes sense given the amount of blood in a couple of the spots. 

Not much to add except that when Buddy had a couple of teeth extracted he had bloody saliva, so there were patches of watered down blood on the floor where he rested his nose, but no spotting, and no bright red blood so if that’s what you’re seeing it might suggest an origin other than inside the mouth. 
Don’t you just love the ‘find where the blood is coming from’ game? :lol 

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

My first thought was bloody nose too.  If that's the case, I would suggest a vet sooner rather than later, as, while usually benign, it can also be something really nasty.

Make sure there's nothing caught inside his mouth between his upper teeth - piece of grass, or something else small but irritating.  I forget which dog, but we had to use a flashlight inside their mouth while they were roaching to discover a tiny stick between two upper teeth that wasn't visible at all any other way.  The only symptom was repeated "air licking" and worrying at it.

OR something caught between the cheek/lip and gum outside the teeth very high in the front like a piece of kibble.

OR maybe he knocked an epulis off with his collision??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If you believe the blood may be coming from the nasal area there are two concerns…low platelets or clotting disorder or nasal tumor (of course after ruling out blunt trauma).  Check for bruising..petchica (gum line, sclera, abdominal area etc. Also, a simple trick to check for nasal tumor is to hold a mirror or glass to each nostril.  The mirror should fog equally on both sides if air is being moved.  

Thanks for the replies everyone. In typical greyhound fashion, Mark has been perfectly normal for the 2 days following the mystery blood.  Not licking, not sniffling, not doing anything to indicate that there is an issue of any kind.  He is perfectly normal! :dunno

We are watching his every move and there has been nothing to give us any kind of clue. 

He will be going to the vet in the near future anyway, as we need to establish him with our vet.  He saw the GPA vet for his dental and general health check in January but will now go to our vet which is much closer to the house. He was confirmed in January to have a low number of hookworms which have been under treatment since, so as soon as he has one more round of Drontal Plus we will take him in along with a stool sample to see where we stand with the hooks. (No obvious blood in the stool when all this happened either.) 

The air licking that he was doing that night still makes me think he had something in his teeth or in a gum that was irritating. He obviously disldged whatever it was as the licking stopped the same moring that we found the blood. 

Now - who know how to get blood stains out of carpet? :lol (I am so glad we didn't replace the 20 plus year old carpet when we first thought about doing so.) 

13 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. In typical greyhound fashion, Mark has been perfectly normal for the 2 days following the mystery blood.  Not licking, not sniffling, not doing anything to indicate that there is an issue of any kind.  He is perfectly normal! :dunno

We are watching his every move and there has been nothing to give us any kind of clue. 

He will be going to the vet in the near future anyway, as we need to establish him with our vet.  He saw the GPA vet for his dental and general health check in January but will now go to our vet which is much closer to the house. He was confirmed in January to have a low number of hookworms which have been under treatment since, so as soon as he has one more round of Drontal Plus we will take him in along with a stool sample to see where we stand with the hooks. (No obvious blood in the stool when all this happened either.) 

The air licking that he was doing that night still makes me think he had something in his teeth or in a gum that was irritating. He obviously disldged whatever it was as the licking stopped the same moring that we found the blood. 

Now - who know how to get blood stains out of carpet? :lol (I am so glad we didn't replace the 20 plus year old carpet when we first thought about doing so.) 

Cut out the sxction with a knife, a:Dnd put in some shag carpeting, in a color to match your furniture. 

UPDATE - Shortly after the previous post, we went for a walk.  While out on the walk, I caught a glimpse of some blood on one of the canine teeth while we were out in the sunshine.  I think we've found the issue. This may be one of the teeth that the group's vet decided to scale  during the dental in January.  It is sensitive when I touch near it as he flinches. I decided not to probe any farther so that I didn't start a gusher. Vet appointment being made. Thanks everyone for the replies! 

Edited by Time4ANap
typo

• Time4ANap changed the title to Mouth Injury? UPDATE - Found the problem - Post # 13 3/4/22

Blood stain removal for carpet https://www.mypetpeed.com/  Not available in stores.

Almost instantly makes fresh pee spots go away.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

Blood stain removal for carpet https://www.mypetpeed.com/  Not available in stores.

Almost instantly makes fresh pee spots go away.

Thanks, Ducky! 

3 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Hydrogen peroxide for blood stains! Patch-test first.

Thanks! We actually have the blood stains under control. Good thing I bought that carpet shampooer ! 

Don, the My Pet Peed website says it will work on anything!

"It will work on anything that can come out of any animal or human.
Ex: pee, poop, puke, blood
It also works on red wine, coffee, tea, soda, ink, makeup, and lots of food stains."

As my iggy Charlie aged he couldn't control his pee shooter very well. I'd blot up the pee and with a light spraying of MPP I could see the spot disappear.

tiny hada siggy.png

7 hours ago, macoduck said:

Don, the My Pet Peed website says it will work on anything!

"It will work on anything that can come out of any animal or human.
Ex: pee, poop, puke, blood
It also works on red wine, coffee, tea, soda, ink, makeup, and lots of food stains."

As my iggy Charlie aged he couldn't control his pee shooter very well. I'd blot up the pee and with a light spraying of MPP I could see the spot disappear.

Thanks.  I will order a bottle since we have the occasional senior mishap here. 

Mark? Sweep speaks the truth! :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.