Does anyone else have a greyhound that runs hot?

When I first got our greyhound 4 years ago I purchased jammies, and a coat for him for the winter (I live in Ohio) The thing is even with temps as low a 15-20 degrees he does not want to put his coat on, and is quite happy on the daily walks without it (no shivering). At night if I put his jammies on he nearly bursts into flames! :angryfire 

He is a very healthy big (90 lbs) boy and I was just wondering if anyone else had a greyhound that seems impervious to the cold? 

Cheers 

Jim

Yes! And I live in the Frozen Tundra. :lol: My first greyhound, Lila, had very thick, plushy fur like a bunny and she was always warm. She wouldn't move with a coat on unless it was below zero. She would usually get out of her bed to stretch out on the floor to cool off. She would get cold feet from walking on snow, but that was the only issue for her.

My current girl, Wiki, has sleek fur like a sea lion and doesn't run as warm as Lila. But she still pants on walks with a single layer fleece coat in temperatures in the teens.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Odin doesn't show it so much in the winter, but, in the summer, he gets very hot.  If I walk him on a summer's day, when we get back home, he huffs and puff for a half hour.  I really mean puffs.  He blows out his cheeks and takes deep breaths to bring himself around.  It is a little scary.

He seems to be in his element in the cold weather.  He loves snow and could walk in the rain until he is soaked and it doesn't bother him.

Picture of our handsome boy.

around odin and carrot.jpg

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Val’s favorite temperature range is about 40-55. I think she would love the snow. Me, not so much :lol  All of my greyhounds have been heat sensitive to a certain degree, and all have refused to wear coats. Of course, in Phoenix, they don’t really need them!

Buddy runs hot on walks and only needs a coat when the temperature drops to around freezing. His favourite walks are at below 10C. But in the house, when he’s not moving he gets cold quite quickly and has had to wear coats to stop him shivering in August (Bristish summers can be unpredictable!}.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

5 hours ago, Athos said:

Here is Aramis, sans coat enjoying the weather!

Aramis small.jpg

Reminds me of that old joke when a student showed the art teacher a blank piece of paper entitled "White cat in a snow storm."

Grace is the same. If I put her coat on, unless it's several degrees below zero, she'll take a few steps and stop dead until I take it off. Rain doesn't bother her unless it's coming down that hard it hurts. They build these Irish greyhounds tough.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Sid, our blue brindle Irish boy,  has super plush bunny fur and hates any sort of sweaters or coats. 

Ruby didn’t have a thick coat, but also preferred to be naked. 

Mario our little senior SalukiX from Qatar has shocked us by adapting super well to the frigid Ontario weather. He loves the snow and cold and I often have to go call him to come back inside.

Currently Kibo …our black Spanish boy … is our current heat-loving hound, wearing a fleecy housecoat 24/7.  He pottys quickly and runs back inside.

Our Nixon and Nigel (brindles) were both heat lovers and wore fleecy housecoats from fall into spring.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

More hot dawgs here.  Jeter was a medium-dark brindle.  Gelsey is a red fawn.   Both of them raced in Florida -- it probably took them forever to cool down.  Jeter was a good racer so it must not have bothered him much.  Gelsey is a bounce from the coastal plain of North Carolina to the foothills of Virginia.  I bet she loves the weather here.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter