royal canin

Any thoughts about Royal Canin Adult. My vet feeds it to his dogs. I have been feeding Zignature. I am freaked about the DCM.

Edited by beledi
adding

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

The World Small Animal Veterinary Assoc. recommends Merrick, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Hill's, and Purina.  These are recommended because they have a vet nutritionist on staff, they test before, during and after manufacture, and they know from whom they source their ingredients, among other things.  My budget says Proplan is the one for us.  I'm feeding the senior one.

11 hours ago, oldrunners said:

The World Small Animal Veterinary Assoc. recommends Merrick, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Hill's, and Purina.  These are recommended because they have a vet nutritionist on staff, they test before, during and after manufacture, and they know from whom they source their ingredients, among other things.  My budget says Proplan is the one for us.  I'm feeding the senior one.

I've fed IAMS Mini-chunks in the green bag for years to campers young and old. Last year when the three girls arrived I put them on Purina Dog Chow Natural, which doesn't have the crap in Dog Chow, especially the red and blue dyes. Cletus is on it now also and I am thinking of moving everyone over to this kibble. They are doing so very well on it - beautiful shiny coats and their poop is, well, it's awesome. And, they love it! I can't find this brand locally but Chewy has it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

16 hours ago, oldrunners said:

Even though Merrick is technically under the parent company that owns Purina, I don't think it meets the WSAVA guidelines fully. Just because it's the same parent company doesn't mean it's the same food. I personally find it alarming that there were enough cases of DCM in dogs on Merrick for the FDA to call them out by name.

My understanding (after many hours reviewing materials on the DCM facebook group) is that only Purina, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Hills and Iams meet WSAVA standards and have had no cases. Other brands under their parent companies do not necessarily meet the guidelines.

It's also important to note that the WSAVA doesn't recommend specific brands, or give them any kind of seal of approval. When a brand meets the guidelines set down by WSAVA the company can claim that on their labeling.

Edited by Bizeebee

Very good point, Bizeebee, and one I hadn't realized. And the more I think about it, I seem to recall Iams being mentioned early on.  I think all this info is overwhelming my brain.  I don't want to mislead anyone, so, in future, I will only comment as it relates to my dog.

Started feeding Royal Canin adult large yesterday as a alternate change. Dogs both seem to like it.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

On 7/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, beledi said:

Any thoughts about Royal Canin Adult. My vet feeds it to his dogs. I have been feeding Zignature. I am freaked about the DCM.

I'm very upset that Zignature was on the list. I did a lot of research before putting my one grey on it and I liked that had vets and dog nutritionist working with them plus it is made here in the U.S. They made a statement and sort of shrugged the whole thing off instead of saying "hey to address you're concerns we will start working on new formulas that have grains" they basically said going to keep on keeping on.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, oldrunners said:

I guess I'm going to have to go with Eukanuba. Purina hasn't worked in the past I believe because of corn (talk about gas!) in a lot of the formulas though they have added some new products so I might give it a try. I'm not too impressed with Royal Canin personally since rice and chicken by-product is usually the first two ingredients. Hill's looks better but I've been warned off it by a vet, food store owners, and a few others because of a noted correlation of cancers (maybe true maybe not).

I dont like the thought of Hills or Purina either. I am in a quandry like a lot of others. Trying a bag of large breed royal canin on my Grey and my Saluki on this rotation.

Persian Proverb

9 minutes ago, HDZ2004 said:

I guess I'm going to have to go with Eukanuba. Purina hasn't worked in the past I believe because of corn (talk about gas!) in a lot of the formulas though they have added some new products so I might give it a try. I'm not too impressed with Royal Canin personally since rice and chicken by-product is usually the first two ingredients. Hill's looks better but I've been warned off it by a vet, food store owners, and a few others because of a noted correlation of cancers (maybe true maybe not).

Obviously you should go with whichever DCM-fre brand works best for you, but for what it's worth, after reading everything I have about DCM I wish I could feed my dog all corn and chicken by-product [those two ingredients are the two richest sources of the building blocks needed to make the heart-saving amino acids]. I have found even Purina, with what seems like a million options, has shied away from corn in a lot of their formulas (by market demand), so you may well be able to find something from their line that meets your needs.

I was feeding Acana, and although the hounds seemed to thrive on it, out of caution I switched to Royal Canin Senior for one, and Royal Canin Large Breed Joint & Coat for the other. 

Both dogs like the food, and the most striking thing to me is how much smaller and firmer their poops are on the new food. 

For anyone considering the Large Breed food, the kibble, at least for the joint and coat food, is about 1" x 1" x 1/4".   If that seems too big for your hound, maybe consider the Medium breed size instead.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Kibble does seem large but  have always put water on my Greyhounds food. My Saluki handles it dry with no problem. Of course there are add on toppings to moisten some....Maybe yoghurt, o;ewo beets, etc.

Persian Proverb

31 minutes ago, beledi said:

Kibble does seem large but  have always put water on my Greyhounds food. My Saluki handles it dry with no problem. Of course there are add on toppings to moisten some....Maybe yoghurt, o;ewo beets, etc.

I've always done water too or  yogurt.

1 hour ago, Bizeebee said:

Obviously you should go with whichever DCM-fre brand works best for you, but for what it's worth, after reading everything I have about DCM I wish I could feed my dog all corn and chicken by-product [those two ingredients are the two richest sources of the building blocks needed to make the heart-saving amino acids]. I have found even Purina, with what seems like a million options, has shied away from corn in a lot of their formulas (by market demand), so you may well be able to find something from their line that meets your needs.

I agree thank you. Corn just never seemed to work for my greys or poultry. Fish has always worked best.  I hope we get more brands going grain-inclusive.

My dogs dont seem to have  a problem with any protein...Yeah

Persian Proverb

• 1 year later...

Hi! I’m late to the party with the whole DCM drama and I know it has kind of blown over but I was up til 4AM researching food etc. I just threw out the last of Enitharmon’s Orijen Tundra and I am about to start her first bag of Royal Canin Adult medium. (Medium because even with a puzzle bowl she inhales her kibble). She is also fed Primal raw nuggets and as they are exotic meats (rabbit, venison, duck etc) they will be retired as well. I will supplement her kibble with good old fashioned boiled chicken and raw grass fed ground beef. I guess I feel sad. Orijen seemed like such a lovely product. But maybe the old pet store standbys really are best. I also got her some heart healthy chews on amazon. Anyone else late to this party? She seems healthy. I have been feeding her Orijen for three years minus the one year we spend in London where she gets the UK grain free. Not anymore, tho. Thank you!

PS my two pugs and our whippet and Italian grey were all on grain free for years as well and never had heart problems. But I am switching out Orijen for peace of mind just in case. Someone said the greys grow up eating Purina pro etc. so perhaps it’s best. They aren’t prehistoric wolves after all! 

Purina One for my mature pup- beware- purina just revised their recipes and the calorie count has gone up!  Purina One is 380 per cup- not bad and enough protein and fat to keep the coat in check. the skinny puppy is inhaling ProPlan Sport which is a whopping 484 calories per cup. so be ware- the ProPlan Focus and Shredded recipes have gone up in calories as well. The lamb and rice is nearly 500 calories a cup. so if you have a non-eater you can get away with a cup(and a tad) a day

Since I started using Purina a couple of years ago I have been able to eliminate all additives for coat and stools are greatly reduced.

Purina has become the new Iams- grab a sack and throw it in your cart and don't look back!

Maggie eats the Purina One weight management.  Bulletproof Morgan eats WOS - whatever's on sale.  Currently Purina Bella.  Purina actually has done far more feeding tests than any other company.  
:rotfl  I believe I'm the one that coined the phrase "I got so fed up trying to find the perfect food I finally tossed a green bag of Iams in my cart...."

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg