Statuing On Walks

We are running into a repeated issue with Petunia deciding to statue for long periods of time on our walks. She was a fantastic walker on our first few walks, and only statued on those for a couple of minutes. I assumed that she was statuing to be able to stand in the sun since that's where it typically occurred, and she would eventually get moving.

The problem is getting worse instead of better. I've had to call DW to bring the car on several occasions because she was still in same spot after 15-20 minutes and absolutely refuses to continue. Once we got home, she refused to get out of the car twice. (Do the words "stubborn old broodie" come to mind? :bgeorge ) We had to leave her in the car with the windows down for about 30 minutes before I finally picked up the seat sling and lifted it until she had no choice but to stand up and then get out.

Today we tried our walk with a new 2 Hounds No Pull Harness which gave me much better control of her, but we still ended up calling for the car when she flat out refused to continue. There were workmen at the house where she stopped and she was determined to go see them instead of walking. She was not happy that I could move her along much better using the harness, but it also just made her dig in even harder.

I've never had this much trouble walking any dog, and like I said, she is a great walker when she wants to be. She is excited when walk time comes around, but the freezing and statuing starts almost out the door and happens throughout the walk.

I was looking at this thread from Victoria Stillwell and will try the approach to push her from behind to get her to walk instead of pulling her or circling, and treat her when she actually complies. I'm wondering if others agree that this is the way to break the problem.

I can find no physical reason for the statuing like a corn or pain etc, and it often occurs in the same spots when she knows we are getting close to the end of our route, but also occurs at random spots. :riphair

Thoughts? Tricks to outsmart a really smart broodie?

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have no suggestions.

I am giggling that Petunia has "planted" herself. :daisy

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would try to vary your route as much as you can.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with a good bribe of a YUMMY treat to get them motivated to move forward or get out of the car. Try luring her forward when you know shes getting ready to stop. Praise praise praise!!!!!

Also, the Stilwell method of pushing with your knees from behind can work - just remember to treat and praise!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have no suggestions.

I am giggling that Petunia has "planted" herself. :daisy

It was funny the first couple times.....now not so much although I still laugh when that broodie attitude kicks in. The girl has some serious leg muscles and cannot be moved if she puts her mind to it.

I would try to vary your route as much as you can.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with a good bribe of a YUMMY treat to get them motivated to move forward or get out of the car. Try luring her forward when you know shes getting ready to stop. Praise praise praise!!!!!

Also, the Stilwell method of pushing with your knees from behind can work - just remember to treat and praise!

She's really unpredictable. What works once or twice doesn't work the next time. Rocket used to statue which often meant he wanted to go the other way. There is no obvious reason that she is stopping other than she likes the really sunny spots since it's chilly by our standards in Phoenix at the moment. Varying the route one day last week resulted in her taking off like a jackrabbit, jumping the air and leaping forward. I'm guessing she saw a rabbit that I didn't.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I feel your pain!

We have had our new grey (our first) for going on three months. She did not statue at all the first week or so, but then it started and it seems to not be improving (if not getting worse). Everything else is so great, but this is very frustrating and confounding. I feel like it is mainly out of curiosity, she wants to go find another dog or check out a smell or a place she remembers from a previous walk.

It is my real hope that this improves when the weather gets warm again (as many have suggested it will). She does much better in groups, especially if there are other dogs. I have found that a harness helps, you can swing her away from distractions without harming her. And if she does a major freeze, I can pick up the handle and lift her chest up while walking forward. This causes her to kind of skip along and after two or three of these, she often gets the picture and starts walking again. Other owners recommended this and this seems to be working the best right now.

But I certainly understand your frustration. I'm hoping the freezing improves for both of us!!

I feel your pain!

We have had our new grey (our first) for going on three months. She did not statue at all the first week or so, but then it started and it seems to not be improving (if not getting worse). Everything else is so great, but this is very frustrating and confounding. I feel like it is mainly out of curiosity, she wants to go find another dog or check out a smell or a place she remembers from a previous walk.

It is my real hope that this improves when the weather gets warm again (as many have suggested it will). She does much better in groups, especially if there are other dogs. I have found that a harness helps, you can swing her away from distractions without harming her. And if she does a major freeze, I can pick up the handle and lift her chest up while walking forward. This causes her to kind of skip along and after two or three of these, she often gets the picture and starts walking again. Other owners recommended this and this seems to be working the best right now.

But I certainly understand your frustration. I'm hoping the freezing improves for both of us!!

Thanks! I'm not sure at this point there's any particular cause although sunning herself seems to be the most likely based on the times and places she does it. We are absolutely in love with her, so will get through it eventually.

She doesn't realize that we are in our prime walking months here in Phoenix, because once May arrives the heat keeps us inside all day and walks have to be done well before 6 AM. I want her to experience some great walks before that happens.

Hang in there.

Is Petunia wearing a coat during walks? If shes stopping to soak up the sun, I wonder if shes cold once shes stepped out of it.

Grasping at straws but thats something I hadnt thought of before.

BTW, Victorias method works for Annie :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Is Petunia wearing a coat during walks? If shes stopping to soak up the sun, I wonder if shes cold once shes stepped out of it.

Grasping at straws but thats something I hadnt thought of before.

BTW, Victorias method works for Annie :lol

I thought about that too but temps are typically in the 60's when we go, and when you add the Arizona sun to that it's pretty warn. There's not a lot of shade on our walk except one tree-lined street. I'm not ruling anything out though. She has her first vet visit / wellness check on Friday so we will try to rule out a few things that way.

Annie.... :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Edited by Time4ANap

I wish I had some suggestions but I've never had to deal with statuing. You are doing everything I can think of. What is her attitude when she stops, does she seem afraid, nervous, curious, annoyed?

Pretty much indifferent. Once or twice she has panted a little but it's not consistent. I really don't think she's stopping due to any pain. Often the stopping is in the exact same spot which is where she would know that we are a few blocks from returning to the house. Today, we had only gone 2 blocks before it happened, the difference was that there were some guys working outside a house that she was interested in.

Other times we get as far as the house next door. The other day that happened and Chris picked her up and carried her back home.

I had the same problem with Grace and the neighbours must have had a laugh at the sight of a greyhound being carried back home several times because she wouldn't move even after waiting 15 minutes for her. I tried pushing, going round in circles, pieces of chicken but she had superglued her feet to the ground and wasn't moving. It got so bad I was even considering returning her.

But as ArrowOwner says I found lifting her front end gently with her collar/harness and taking a couple of steps before releasing and continuing to walk forward, as if bowling a bowling ball, persuaded her that statuing was not the thing to do and only after a few times she got the idea. It's the technique the trainers use to put the dogs into the traps at the races and it also comes in useful if she freezes when half way when crossing the road.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

When she got here, Annie started off the same way - excited and happy to go for walks, tandem with Punkin. I am not aware of what changed for her but she began the Petunia Plant and refused to move on with any of the campers. I gave up and she did not go for any walks for several weeks. Our yard is fenced so she had turnout time, plusalso she is a NUT and her exercise was doing suitcase zoomies in the living room whilst killing stuffies :youcrazy:lol She didn't even look to go, even tho everyone else was getting leashed up and going. It takes ~two hours to get everyone's walk in and Annie didn't care. One day I just decided to try again and brought treats (she'll eat anything) and off we went, around the back yard and to the edge of the driveway. Since then we've built on that short excursion and she is doing great. I still carry treats with us but so far I haven't yet had to carry Annie again :lol

Does Petunia actually *need* to go for a walk? Maybe she just isn't into the walk scene. Senior, broodie, BTDT :f50:

I love her!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

When she got here, Annie started off the same way - excited and happy to go for walks, tandem with Punkin. I am not aware of what changed for her but she began the Petunia Plant and refused to move on with any of the campers. I gave up and she did not go for any walks for several weeks. Our yard is fenced so she had turnout time, plusalso she is a NUT and her exercise was doing suitcase zoomies in the living room whilst killing stuffies :youcrazy:lol She didn't even look to go, even tho everyone else was getting leashed up and going. It takes ~two hours to get everyone's walk in and Annie didn't care. One day I just decided to try again and brought treats (she'll eat anything) and off we went, around the back yard and to the edge of the driveway. Since then we've built on that short excursion and she is doing great. I still carry treats with us but so far I haven't yet had to carry Annie again :lol

Does Petunia actually *need* to go for a walk? Maybe she just isn't into the walk scene. Senior, broodie, BTDT :f50:

I love her!

This might be what it comes down to. She is super excited to go and as soon as I start moving in the morning she is watching my every move for the signs of her walk. I actually thought about stopping it for a few weeks and then re-starting to see what happens. Every time I head for the door she seems to want to tag along which I would love, Maybe she's going to be a car ride girl instead of a walker. I just have to actually be able to get her out of the car when we are done. :bgeorge

And now this shall forever be known as The Petunia Plant..... :flip

I had the same problem with Grace and the neighbours must have had a laugh at the sight of a greyhound being carried back home several times because she wouldn't move even after waiting 15 minutes for her. I tried pushing, going round in circles, pieces of chicken but she had superglued her feet to the ground and wasn't moving. It got so bad I was even considering returning her.

But as ArrowOwner says I found lifting her front end gently with her collar/harness and taking a couple of steps before releasing and continuing to walk forward, as if bowling a bowling ball, persuaded her that statuing was not the thing to do and only after a few times she got the idea. It's the technique the trainers use to put the dogs into the traps at the races and it also comes in useful if she freezes when half way when crossing the road.

Her harness just arrived yesterday so I can safely try this now. She was not happy that I had much better control of her using the harness which still makes me think this is just a broodie thing.

My first broodie was very sweet, but had definite opinions. One of her favorite responses (as I interpreted it) was I am so sorry to be disobliging but I cant possibly do that. I am sure you understand :lol

Oh, and if I still didnt seem to get it, I am sure she said, bless your heart You southern ladies know what that means!

Edited by Remolacha

The Petunia Plant has inspired me to name one of mine.......The Shelby Saunter

Hero & I like a nice brisk walk........Shelby, on the other hand, will . not . be . rushed .

I am so enjoying hearing about her "broodie quirks"

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

She keeps badgering me for her walk this morning. I think we are going to give it a few days before we go again and see how things shake out. Maybe she is just getting overwhelmed at all of the smells of the desert and watching all of the people around on the golf course and those walking through the neighborhood who come up to meet her. She is highly interested in watching the golfers and the golf carts. I told Chris that maybe we need to buy her a golf cart to take our walks. :bgeorge

Yes, I think lifting the chest up with a harness or hand has been the best option when mine's in a deep freeze. We also bribe with treats, which can really help get her started sometimes.

We also decided to take her to doggie daycare all day twice a week. Then we try to take her for a run at a dog park or fenced area once a week. So if she's having a bad freeze day or two, we can skip the walks without worrying about her missing too much exercise. Also, I feel like if she's worn out from daycare or a run, she's a little less likely to be willful and freeze.

Hope the harness helps!

Edited by ArrowOwner

Zuni was particularly bad with statuing when she first arrived. I seem to remember the only consistent thing was it was something different each time to break her out of it (other than just waiting it out). Once it was a toy. then that didn't work again. Then it was a treat. Only worked once. Next it was a person...

Sorry, that's not much help. When she did break out it she never reverted back. :dunno

Bailey, our first greyhound, was a chronic statuer, but her issue was fear based. I wonder if you have reinforced the behaviour with car rides. She knows if she stops a car ride is next.

Have you tried keeping a high value treat in your hand that’s holding the leash assuming it’s motivating enough to keep her moving forward trying to get the treat from your hand?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Bailey, our first greyhound, was a chronic statuer, but her issue was fear based. I wonder if you have reinforced the behaviour with car rides. She knows if she stops a car ride is next.

Have you tried keeping a high value treat in your hand that’s holding the leash assuming it’s motivating enough to keep her moving forward trying to get the treat from your hand?

I have tried various treats including dried liver which is only used as high value. As PJ says below, what works once doesn't work the next time. Ref the car rides, that;s possible. I'm taking a break from walks for a few days and will see what happens when we start back up since she was a great walker initially.

Zuni was particularly bad with statuing when she first arrived. I seem to remember the only consistent thing was it was something different each time to break her out of it (other than just waiting it out). Once it was a toy. then that didn't work again. Then it was a treat. Only worked once. Next it was a person...

Sorry, that's not much help. When she did break out it she never reverted back. :dunno

Sounds pretty much the same. Always something different. Good to know from several posts in the thread that once it stops it doesn't seem to happen again. We will keep working with her.

Does anyone have thoughts about "waiting it out" vs "letting the dog know whose boss"?

With ours, if we wait it out, we've learned it could be a looooong wait, and we just don't always have time for that in our hectic schedules. With the harness, I've begun to immediately lift her up and forward when she statues (it may take two or three times, but it tends to get her going). Sometimes I worry it is too forceful, but it doesn't seem to bother her and I feel she is beginning to show signs of self-correction when she starts to statue, as if she knows it's not going to stop the walk from proceeding. When she does get going I give her lots of praise and I try to be very consistent with an encouraging "let's go" whenever I lift the harness up. It really beats picking her up and carrying her.