Poor June Had 4 Seizures This Morning

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIGH.....

Well, we heard from the neurologist. He needs to radiologist to review the MRI and confirm what he sees, but he's thinking it's a brain tumor.

Sadly, if it is, we have 2 options:

1. Radiation. This WON'T shrink the tumor, but it will prolong her life.

2. Manage her symptoms... seizure meds and pain meds if needed. This plan until things worsen and then we need to make the "quality of life call"...

I don't have a 100% on this is what's happening right this second, and to be honest I haven't even processed this news.

My husband is picking her up at 4 today so she can come home at this point and be comfortable.

Thank you all for the well wishes. I was hoping for a better result.

:cry1

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Audible sigh. Well at least you have answers....it's better than not knowing I suppose. Thank you for the update - I was just going to post to ask. Getting her home and comfy will be perfect. She needs her pack. :bighug

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Ive been following and hoping the findings would have been more encouraging. At least you have an answer. My heart goes out to you. And yes, home is best. :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry the news is not more encouraging. It will be nice to have June home again as you digest this news.

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

There is still a chance it was a brain aneurysm, which would be much better.

Fingers crossed!

But if not, we know and can prepare and can spoil her even more.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

There is still a chance it was a brain aneurysm, which would be much better.

Fingers crossed!

But if not, we know and can prepare and can spoil her even more.

Confused why the neuro said that radiation won’t be curative. I’m a tech in a veterinary radiation clinic and I’m near to tell you that brain tumors can be treated and can respond beautifully to SRS radiation. Of course it depends on type, size, area....

For example we performed SRS radiation on a Frenchie with a sizable glioma and 6 months later the repeat mri showed complete resolution-that sucker was gone.

So, please keep the faith <3

Just tuned in. Hope everything pans out well for June. Sounds like she is a tough lady. Hard decisions may be absolutely ages away. I envy your availability of great vets. Love and healing energy to your girl. Whispers of love to June from my "Grey" loving heart.

June came home last night... she's happy to be home. She is a bit wobbly... not sure if that will go away or not.

Have not gotten the final results from the radiologist yet... hoping to hear this morning sometime.

All for now. Just wish I could get some decent sleep. I keep waking up thinking I hear her.

sending more hugs. Like I said, we had the same thing with our Rainey -- suspected brain tumor. We had an MRI done on 10/4/10 (her 10th birthday, ironically) that showed nothing but the neurologist still suspected a tumor or lesion causing the seizures.

we tried a variety of meds (phenobarbital, keppra, zonisamide and others) but for her only a combo of those first 3 helped control them at all. Unfortunately, the pheno made her big-time whacked out - but some of her behavior probably was from the lesion as well (she became OCD, aggressive, just weirded out in general).

you very well might be able to control the seizures and keep her quality of life for quite a while -- some tumors are very slow growing.

I would highly suggest keeping a seizure log -- date, time, length of seizure, stuff she'd eaten prior to it, etc. Also, some say this is an old wive's tale but we SWORE by it as do others - the ice pack on the back during a seizure. With Rainey, every single seizure occurred while eating or within 1 minute of eating so I would just pull out the ice pack prior to feeding so it was ready, which made it a little easier. Here's the link: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/icepack.htm

good luck with your girl. I truly feel for you -- what we went through with Rainey was very hard and I miss her every day. Praying things go well for you all.

Kim

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

sending more hugs. Like I said, we had the same thing with our Rainey -- suspected brain tumor. We had an MRI done on 10/4/10 (her 10th birthday, ironically) that showed nothing but the neurologist still suspected a tumor or lesion causing the seizures.

we tried a variety of meds (phenobarbital, keppra, zonisamide and others) but for her only a combo of those first 3 helped control them at all. Unfortunately, the pheno made her big-time whacked out - but some of her behavior probably was from the lesion as well (she became OCD, aggressive, just weirded out in general).

you very well might be able to control the seizures and keep her quality of life for quite a while -- some tumors are very slow growing.

I would highly suggest keeping a seizure log -- date, time, length of seizure, stuff she'd eaten prior to it, etc. Also, some say this is an old wive's tale but we SWORE by it as do others - the ice pack on the back during a seizure. With Rainey, every single seizure occurred while eating or within 1 minute of eating so I would just pull out the ice pack prior to feeding so it was ready, which made it a little easier. Here's the link: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/icepack.htm

good luck with your girl. I truly feel for you -- what we went through with Rainey was very hard and I miss her every day. Praying things go well for you all.

Kim

Thank you for all the info/advice. Shes still a bit wobbly since shes gotten home but seems to be a little better each day. Other than being a little more subdued than normal she seems to be herself so far.

Very interesting about the ice pack! I will read up on that, thanks for the link.

We are trying to just keep positive and move ahead business as usual. Although we did install a camera in her room so when we are at work we can watch her. Also sort of baby-proofed the room.... removed the coffee table and moved the fireplace tools so we cut down on sharp things and hard corners in case of further seizures.

Little update:

June has bounced back like nothing happened. She seems to be doing well on the seizure med and Prednisone.

So far now we are just enjoying our happy and sometimes crazy fawn :beatheart

:yay Good girl! Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 5 months later...

Well sadly June had 2 seizures yesterday... about 6 months from her last ones.

They told us back in March she probably had 1-6 months.

She is currently at the vet... we will be picking her up this evening. The new plan is to treat her with a 2nd seizure med.

Sadly, if that doesn't work we know it may be time :(

Yes they are... I HATE watching helpless.

The only good thing about it was it happened while I was home for lunch so I was there.

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

:bighug