Grey Getting Food Off Of Counter

We have a 4 yr old grey "Goose" male about 78 lbs. He gets fed 2xday with treats on a regular basis. He has been taking food off our counter when we leave the kitchen during meal prep .

Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? We have tried the "no" method or "mine" but rarely catch him, he's kinda of a ninja.

Don't leave food unattended on the counter. Seriously.

If you need to leave the kitchen, take him with you or baby gate him out of the space. Then, separately, teach him a "drop it" and "leave it" command. Use his food motivation to teach him how he needs to act in a house. It's not a question of being hungry or not getting enough food. He just thinks everything is his right now. Gentle persuasion and teaching him manners will help him learn what's what.

If he's *very* recalcitrant about it, you can try taping some pennies in and empty soda can and leaving it on the counter. Sometimes that works.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yup. Fiona cured me of leaving food on the counter. If I had to leave the kitchen during prep, anything prepared went on top of the fridge. I cannot tell you how many times, after dinner was over, I remembered there was supposed to be a salad. Sure enough, there the salad was on top of the fridge.

She did get better over time but still was not completely trustworthy. The worst was when I turned out 3 lb of ground beef into a bowl and stepped out side to throw away the Styrofoam tray. Came back in to see Fiona with her elbows on the counter and her entire head in the bowl of meat.

Guest goofydog2

Morrie is also a food thief if given the opportunity! The H unit had 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts thawing on the counter when I passed the kitchen. On my return there were only 2! Then there was the leftover shredded pulled pork. After we finished dinner I thanked the H unit for packaging the leftovers and his response was that he hadn't done that. Ruh Roh! Morrie is also tall enough that he doesn't have to hop up to snatch his target. Back of the stove top, microwave or in the oven have saved many a meal.

Teach him to stay out of the kitchen. I use a can like greysmom suggested, only we shake the can if Phoebe persists in being where she isn't supposed to be. She hates it, and all I need to do now is say, "can?" and she removes herself. :lol Reaching for a can--any can, not the one with pennies in it, it can even be full of soda or beer or whatever--will have the same effect. :)

If you aren't in the room, however, that won't work, so as others have said, you need to put things out of his reach--retrain the humans a bit. ;)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Yup.

Don't leave food anywhere within reach of Goose.

We've had multiple large breed dogs for 30++ years and we are both well-trained :)

I once had a Dobe eat an entire banana loaf within 5 seconds after it came out of the oven. Hothothot :chow

That said, our current pack is amazingly good and we often leave food out and it never gets touched.

On the other hand, a cup of :coffee is too tempting :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

dog proof your home.

nothing out on the counters, garbage can under the sink, recycling out of sight, bread in the fridge or cabinet, defrost meats on a plate in the cabinet or in the fridge. all loose food is up for grabs- no fruit- ESPECIALLY grapes on the counter! and all chocolate hidden securely!

OH, YES- i had a dog who figured out how to open the fridge! no dish towels on the handle of the fridge

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest goofydog2

I forgot to add the time I had just pulled a banana off of the bunch, peeled back a little bit and the next thing I knew Morrie stole the whole thing and swallowed it down! this resulted in interesting poo patrol for a few days!

Yep - dogproof yourself and your house. If you have to leave food on the counter, baby-gate him out of the kitchen. If you can stop leaving food out, that's the better solution.

In my case, Tessa tried countersurfing once, slipped on the hardwood floors, fell over, and has been too afraid to try again. Self-correcting! :lol

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Could be worse. With Fiona, we could not leave a glass of wine on the low coffee table.

And I watch DD's dog drink latte. Her recall word is "latte". Better yet a friend was doing a home visit at a prospective adopters house. Her ambassador GH drank out of the water glass on the coffee table. Jack was something else. Edited by cleptogrey

Nothing to add to OP, it's all been said. Babyproof the kitchen and retrain the humans!

And I watch DD's dog drink latte. Her recall word is "latte". Better yet a friend was doing a home visit at a prospective adopters house. Her ambassador GH drank out of the water glass on the coffee table. Jack was something else.

:lol How did that turn out? Thanks for the giggle this morning.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh yes, lots of food-grabbing stories here! After having had four Great Danes and now Greyhounds, no food gets left on the counter even for a minute. If having company over and appetizers are on the table, I caution guests if leaving the room to always leave someone behind in the room to guard the food. Over the years have lost half a red velvet cake (and quite neatly I might add), a large ham slice, some raw shrimp, a leftover NY strip loin (looked in the oven and fridge several times before I figured it out), stick of butter, and other stuff I've forgotten about.

Yes, not just the kitchen counters, have to watch the tables too :lol I had a grey that never counter surfed or begged for people food, so I had gotten careless. Left my plate with a chicken breast on it on the table and briefly left the room. Came back to a clean plate and very happy greyhound.

Nothing to add to OP, it's all been said. Babyproof the kitchen and retrain the humans!

:lol How did that turn out? Thanks for the giggle this morning.

they adopted!!!

oh, i forgot about the peanuts on the coffee table at my sister's house. annie helped herself. with out a blink, my sister grabbed the elegant Limoges dish, added peanuts and mixed the two and put the dish back on the table. My sister never throws out any food!

Edited by cleptogrey

Yes, not just the kitchen counters, have to watch the tables too :lol I had a grey that never counter surfed or begged for people food, so I had gotten careless. Left my plate with a chicken breast on it on the table and briefly left the room. Came back to a clean plate and very happy greyhound.

Tables, tops of fridges, bags of groceries, purses, any place where there can be food.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

especially with Loca the table dancer :lol

Xavi is the one who steals food from on top of the fridge. Not just food, also bird seed bells and pans of brownies, with the brownies still in the pan. Those galgos are so much fun :P

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hard to imagine him reaching the top of the fridge. High jumps, I suppose.

He also unzips purses and suitcases. I've caught him red handed.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

He also unzips purses and suitcases. I've caught him red handed.

I swear Xavi and Milo are related. I put an apple in a plastic bag (so I could take the core back home for the hounds) in my purse for lunch and left the purse on the kitchen counter for a minute unguarded. At lunchtime, no apple. I assumed I had hallucinated putting it in my purse, but back at home there was a shredded plastic bag on a dog bed.

Milo also has some sort of filtering system -- think whale baleen -- where he can vacuum up birdseed underneath the feeders, filter out the chaff, and eat the remaining seeds.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter