Behavior On Gabapentin?

Crow was prescribed 200-300mg every 8-12 hours for an issue with his back/leg. I gave him 200mg, and he is completely spaced out and cannot function. Is this normal?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks, Pam. Its hard to know if his reluctance to move or lie down is due to pain or his reaction to the drug. Hes no longer screaming, so I feel like the pain is being controlled. He just seems totally out of it :(

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Wendy took 300 mg. twice a day and did not seem to have any ill effects. If this continues the vet can probably prescribe something else. Wendy went on gabapentin because Tramadol made her dopey and depressed and she could take not NSAIDS.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Our vet usually starts our 65-74 pound Greyhounds on 100 mg. per dose, then builds up, but your hound's weight and pain level may require a higher starting dose. We've never needed to dose above 300 mg.

It causes blurred vision, dizziness/ataxia and sedation.

You might have already seen this link but may be helpful:

https://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning-center/professional-monographs/gabapentin-for-veterinary-use.html

How much Trazodone did he get and when? I think what you're describing is really unusual for that dose of Gabapentin, but maybe the two combined are increasing the sedative effect.

FWIW, Zuri was up to 500 mg every 6 hours and the most we saw was a little wobbliness around dose increases. Violet takes 200 mg twice daily with no issue and has gotten as much as 400 and just been a bit sleepy.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If, as Jen indicates, he's also getting Trazadone, then I would ascribe the sedation to that rather than the Gabapentin. Though one of the listed side effects of it is sedation, so your dog *may* be experiencing it. Unless he is completely ataxic and unable to walk or function, I would keep with the dosing schedule and see if his body acclimates to the drug after a few days.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Gabapentin should not do that. Not at that dose especially.

Both my boys have been on it, 300mg 8-12 hrs for a 60lb and 75lb dog. It is an extremely safe drug with a huge range, often you can give 300mg every 6 hours.

An out of it reaction is not normal imo. If he does get up and walk around, does he act differently than before he was on it?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If you think it's the gabapentin, at next dosage time it might be worth giving him 100mg, then the rest of the dose @ 1 hour later. That has helped us with some of the other sedating/oddity-causing meds. Hugs and best thoughts for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wally was so wonky when he first started it. I think I even wrote a help me post about it, lol. I remember him being both spacey and uncoordinated. After a couple weeks the side effects went away and he tolerates it very well now. He's been on it for at probably 18 months now.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Allen's Rx is for 300mg gabapentin every 8-12 hours. We give him 300mg every 12 hours. Not seeing any side effects.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Gaba can do that although it is unusual that 200mg would do that. It can make a dog clumsy and unsteady on the feet - less coordination and muscle control. On the plus side, it does have a tranquilizer effect and can lessen anxiousness although usually prescribed for nerve pain which it can work well for.

He had a dose of trazadone (150mg) at 7:00 PM Saturday night and another dose at 5:00 am Sunday morning as he had a lot of anxiety around the pain issues and the vet suggested it might help (he takes it for his thunder-phobia). After the morning dose, I did not give it again as he is less anxious. This morning, at about 11 hours after his last gaba dose, he was slightly brighter, whining a little for breakfast. He could not get off the couch - its like he forgets how to get up, and when I was helping him up, I aggravated his injury :(. But then when we got him settled down from that, he was eager to go out and potty (it had been 12 hours) and then wanted a walk. So were back from that and now hes not settling and hes standing in the same spot by the door as he does when there are storms, but hes not panting. So its like hes spaced out and doesnt know where to go and wont lie down :(

(A total aside: I *do* know how to use apostrophes, but it looks like they disappear when I post (Im posting from my phone). So apologies for all the typos-not-really-typos :lol)

Edited by turbotaina

:( Really hope he starts to improve. Will your vet prescribe an NSAID (meloxicam, rimadyl, etc.) for him?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hes on rimadyl, too. Im staying home from work today and will be calling the vet to see if we can get some other options.

sounds like felix when he's on tramadol/gabapentin. he splays, is knocked out and whines and that's on a reduced dosage for his weight. annie on the other hand has no reaction what so ever. she did a combo of metacam/gabapentin/tramadol for 6 weeks, she was herself the entire time. felix is a mess on 50 mg of tramadol, each dog reacts differently, but your vet will have other options.

Edited by cleptogrey

I suspect the Trazodone had something to do with it and otherwise this is a weird fear response to the pain. As someone else mentioned, Gabapentin is thought to have anxiolytic effects in addition to providing good pain relief. If it were me I would try it again. You could give just 100 mg and if that goes well do 200 at next dose before bed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Talked to my favorite vet at the practice (but not the one who saw him). Hes awesome. Anyway, were going to reduce gaba this evening (we already gave it this morning) and see how he does. Mitch put Crow up on the bed and he immediately settled down (this after standing around in various spots for 45 minutes after we got back from our walk). Hes been contentedly napping off and on and roaches when I gave him a belly rub, so his personality is going back a little.

We seemed to have turned the corner - he is up and around, rubbing his face on me and asked for a walk. He did great and even got up on the sofa without hesitation when we got home :)

(Still wont go near the dog beds :lol )

Glad he is better!