Alabama - Flea And Tick Prevention

Im a little bit concerned about putting chemicals on my new GH. I know I live in a state with high populations of fleas/ticks.

From my research I have found that Frontline Plus is probably the best chemical/poison for my area?

I know some owners give their dogs a bath once or twice a year. For me living in central Alabama I plan on giving my dog a bath at least once a month to try and stay ahead of these parasites. Should it be more durning the warmer months? Once a week?

I really dont know the best way for prevention to keep my dog in the best health. Are chemicals/poisons a necessary evil?

For those of you living in the south how do you handle this?

I would love if I could just give baths on a regular basis without using poison.

I use Bravecto. It's an oral dose given every 12 weeks, so it's not something that needs to be scheduled around baths. My dogs do a lot of meet and greets, and I like not having to worry about sticky stuff on the dogs' backs or having the stuff get washed off too soon.

The Bravecto doesn't bother my dogs' digestion. We have more sloppy poops from the flavoring in some heartworm meds than from the Bravecto.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The only thing that works for me here in SC are the Seresto Collars. I checked with 4 different sighthound savvy vets (some of which are involved in racing, rescue, and breeding sighthounds) to ensure that they are safe. My Ibizans get into high grass, overgrown fields, and deep woods and the Serestos keep fleas and ticks off them. They work great on my slightly less adventurous Greyhounds too. They also come out super cheap per month if you get them with good deals. I buy mine at around $35-$40 online and they last 8 months so it comes out to about $5 a month per dog.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

You could try to lessen the chemicals by frequent use of a flea comb - a fine-tooth metal comb. You can comb over the dog when you come back inside. It'll find any ticks, too, except for inside the ears and toes. :tick

Are you familiar with the tick key? http://www.tickkey.com/Options.html Wonderful device for getting out the whole tick if the bugger is already embedded.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I leave the collars on 24/7. I have used them for several years and had no problem. I learned the hard way from my sister..she had inside only cats and thought they would never have fleas..well, they did and her whole house was infested with them..it took an exterminator several months to get them half way under control. What a mess.

The only thing that works for me here in SC are the Seresto Collars. I checked with 4 different sighthound savvy vets (some of which are involved in racing, rescue, and breeding sighthounds) to ensure that they are safe. My Ibizans get into high grass, overgrown fields, and deep woods and the Serestos keep fleas and ticks off them. They work great on my slightly less adventurous Greyhounds too. They also come out super cheap per month if you get them with good deals. I buy mine at around $35-$40 online and they last 8 months so it comes out to about $5 a month per dog.

I combine the Seresto with the Trifexis pill. My parents in VA have a terrible tick problem, Johnny got ONE in two weeks, I got one every time I went outside.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I combine the Seresto with the Trifexis pill. My parents in VA have a terrible tick problem, Johnny got ONE in two weeks, I got one every time I went outside.

Interesting. That sounds like a bad tick issue. I have not had to combine them because the Serestos have been so effective on their own. I know the way they fit seems to be very important for how effective they are.

Yep, living in the sticks and having woods and deer contributes. They need some Guinea Fowl.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Yep, living in the sticks and having woods and deer contributes. They need some Guinea Fowl.

I understand that. I live in the middle of 18 acres of woods (mere feet from my doorstep and grown up to my fence) in between 2 overgrown fields that my hounds spend a lot of time in. We have tons of deer, coyotes, and other fun stuff. I get ticks when I go outside but they don't thankfully. We can't keep free range poultry here that could help because of the coyotes. My neighbors have all tried with poor results. :(

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

• 5 months later...
Guest Dupey00

I live in a rural, natural area with chiggers, fleas, ticks, and other buggers. Quarterly, I broadcast spread a bug be gone product around the yard and perimeter open spaces before it rains o it washes I quickly. I hav pen found this greatly reduces the bug population near my property which helps my dogs' product work their best. Home Depot carries it.

You'll be very glad you decided to use "poison" as you refer to it repeatedly on your dog if it prevents Lyme's or heartworm (cause you need to give your dog heartworm preventative as well--also "poison"). Which are treated with--more "poison"!

All I know about Alabama is that it is hot and humid, and I assume as much as a bug's paradise as Florida. You've gotten great advice and tips from your fellow houndie owners, and I hope you find what works well for your greyhound.

I use Bravecto (which is every three months) for the fleas and ticks (it's a pill, not a topical) and Heartgard Plus for heartworm every month.

No issues with any of the past three dogs on any of these.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ok in my my research I have found out that there are some natural ways to ward off Fleas/Ticks/Mosquitoes as well as various ways to treat some parasitic infections. Does anyone use any of these alternative options for treatment/prevention?

To me the best way to prevent heartworms is to keep mosquitoes from biting my hound. The medications do not keep the mosquitoes from biting/infecting him they only work after infection. I would like to attack the source.

Here are some natural ways to help protect dogs. I still havent made a decision on what to do either go all natural or maybe use a combination of both natural prevention and medication. I do know I will definitely be using the heartworm medication and flea/tick medication for when I board Marty at our local track for when we go out of town.

Natural de-wormer:

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth – 1 Tablespoon per day with food.

Can eliminate roundworms, whipworms, pinworms, and hookworms within seven days of being fed daily. To be most effective, Diatomaceous Earth should be fed for at least 30 days, to catch all newly hatching eggs or the cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach.

Note: DE can be used for Flea/Tick control, but I don’t think I will use it for this purpose as I am afraid that it would create very dry skin on a greyhound.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/kill-fleas-ticks-worms-diatomaceous-earth

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/diatomaceous-earth-for-dogs/

Coconut Oil (organic/virgin) 1 tsp per day per 10 lbs of body weight.

Carrots - 1 tsp per 10 lbs of body weight per day.

Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, organic, unfiltered) 1 tsp per day in food.

Natural Flea/Tick control and Mosquito Repellent:

Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 3 drops of lavender essential oil to a spray bottle, and then fill the rest with distilled water. Spray or wipe on the dog before each walk - keep away from eyes of course.

Natural Heartworm treatment:

1. HW Protect.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-HW-Protect-Herbal-Formula/999068.aspx?click=124&utm_source=GOGLSHOPPING&utm_medium=PLAS&utm_campaign=&mr:referralID=5da267c0-59d8-11e8-b843-005056946dac&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG3RxnLf_EgzFOgN3z6Fr6zRLQ6xLOrK0izOGIWlrRsVVLXBrAZauVcaAk9mEALw_wcB

2. HWF.

https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/hwf?utm_source=Website&utm_medium=Text-Link&utm_content=5-Natural-Heartworm-Treatments-For-Dogs&utm_campaign=HWF-Amber-Tech

3. Guinness Black Draught Beer Preventative/Treatment: 2 tablespoons of beer per 25 pounds of body weight; this can be mixed into their food, or they can drink it directly. As a preventative, give your dog the beer once, then again in two weeks, then monthly after that. As a treatment, give your dog the beer every two weeks for three months.

I'm not too sure about this - giving a dog alcohol, but it is a very low dose and it's a trade off on the side effects of giving a dog Ivermectin or any other type of medication.

https://keepthetailwagging.com/does-guinness-beer-cure-heartworm-naturally/

To me the best way to prevent heartworms would be to keep mosquitoes off of Marty using the natural repellent. The only time Marty is outside is when I am with him on a walk. We do not have a fenced in backyard so he is never off leash. I walk him 3x a day - very early morning, mid afternoon, and evening. I'm somewhat concerned on our afternoon walks, but I really dont see any mosquitoes during that time. The only time I'm really concerned about mosquitoes is on our evening walks. If I go the natural route I will just plan on getting him tested for heartworms every 6 months.

Heartworm is NOT to be taken lightly. Use the proven, effective, safe preventatives, they are worth the money.

sorest collars on both the greyhound and whippet. feb. the fleas in san antonio were absolutely crazy- within hrs. they were gone and i didn't find any other fleas my entire stay. i spoke extensively to a friend who deals w/ galgos. the group she works with uses them as soon as the dogs are picked up. not a single problem. still test for tick borne diseases, what ever you choose to use. and heart worm meds- i've ALWAYS given them to my dogs- i started using them in the 70s when it was nightly dosing. it's a horrible parasite, you don't want to deal with it.

There is also this. Haven't used it but have used their other products with great results.

https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

Ticks can be nasty though and if you don't want to treat with ingestion or topical, strongly consider a Seresto collar.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest BlueBrindle

Hi!

Has anyone had success with "natural" spray repellants? Our grey is on Nexgard, but this does not prevent Lyme disease. I'm finding ticks on her legs and belly almost daily. I'd like to try to spray her before walks.

Does anyone know of an effective (non-chemical / DEET) spray?

Thanks!

I'm trying to stay out of the long grass and sticking to the neighborhood on our walks. Last month we would walk along the tree line/wooded area along my street. I found a tick crawling on my leg and found one embedded in Marty's leg. So far so good for the month of May - no ticks just walking just the neighborhood and staying clear of the long grass.

I'm trying to stay out of the long grass and sticking to the neighborhood on our walks. Last month we would walk along the tree line/wooded area along my street. I found a tick crawling on my leg and found one embedded in Marty's leg. So far so good for the month of May - no ticks just walking just the neighborhood and staying clear of the long grass.

dh has managed to have ticks embedded in his back of his neck- peeing under a tree in a well manicured lawn. don't ask, men.....trust me he was not rolling in the grass. they seem to drop out of the sky these days!(via birds, squirrels, wind) as an owner of a dog w/ anaplasmosis and lyme bite the bullet and get prevention. it will be cheaper in the long run. doxy is not cheap these days. also, if you decide to use a sorest collar open it, let it sit for a week then put it on the dog every other day or a couple of hrs. at a time and see if there is a reaction.

Edited by cleptogrey

Hi!

Has anyone had success with "natural" spray repellants? Our grey is on Nexgard, but this does not prevent Lyme disease. I'm finding ticks on her legs and belly almost daily. I'd like to try to spray her before walks.

Does anyone know of an effective (non-chemical / DEET) spray?

Thanks!

Seresto repels ticks so they never bite.

To the OP, sorry, but since you're in a place where exposure to these things is high I think the safest thing is a chemical. I don't like them any more than you, but treating heartworm is expensive, dangerous, and hard on the dog. TBDs likewise can be difficult to treat and cause lifetime issues. And you are fooling yourself if you think you will find every tick before it has time to soread disease. The ones that carry Lyme, etc are tiny and impossible to spot until they've feasted.

Frontline Plus doesn't seem to be effective against ticks anymore, at oeast where I am. I switched to Seresto last year and haven't looked back. The first time I put the collars on the girls last year I woke up the next morning to find multiple dead ticks in my bed that looked like specks of dirt. This year I was late getting them on. Thought the ticks werent out yet until I woke up to find a fully bloated tick crawling in my bed. Put the collars on immediately and several more ticks, another fully bloated made their appearance.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."