Vaccination For Old Dogs

What do yall think? Conner will be 13 in April, and to get his license he will need a rabies vaccination in Feb. I would really rather not, although there has been a rabies outbreak in the wildlife in the Superstitions. Hes very unlikely to come into contact with an infected animal, but still. I am waiting to hear what his vet thinks, but I thought Id see what GT thought.

Absolutely zero reason to vaccinate him. Recent studies indicate rabies vaccines provide protection for at least 7 years. Get a letter from your vet excusing him so you can continue to license him. If you or your vet are truly concerned about whether he's still protected you can always do a titer. Although a negative titer doesnt even necessarily mean he's not and they aren't cheap so if it were me, I wouldn't bother.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would not.

We can send in a letter from our vet stating medical reasons not to vaccinate and get excused. Check you local laws.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agreed.

Nixon is due for Lepto when they go in this week, but he will not be getting it.

Ruby is 10.5 and she will get all her shots updated, and that will be it for her.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I know Conner would rather have a Driver's License than a Dog License. That way he could go get food whenever he wanted. :bgeorge

I have much the same question about the various vaccines for Rocket's next Vet appointment since he turned 12. He is also due for several shots next month. Arizona doesn't seem to have an exemption for sick dogs in the state laws that I've found, so it looks like there is no process to obtain or renew a license with a letter from the vet. The only thing I can find is a statement that no license will be issued without the rabies cert. Still looking, so if I find something I will send it on to you.

Maybe they will have to become residents of a different state to get their license.

Edited to add:

It looks like the worst that would happen if he is thought to be exposed to rabies would be a home quarantine for 45 days unless Maricopa County / City of Phoenix has a more restrictive policy that state law. Took this from the State Rabies Manual:

If the exposed dog/cat has is overdue for a booster vaccination but has appropriate documentation the animal has a previous history of vaccination: 1. Notify local animal control. 2. Immediately take the dog/cat to a veterinarian for medical evaluation and booster vaccination. 3. Owner needs to provide veterinarian with appropriate documentation that show the animal has been previously vaccination with a USDA-licensed rabies vaccine (See Part I B.5 of Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control, 2016). 4. Confine the dog or cat under the owner’s control and observe closely for 45 days. The animal should be kept in a building, pen, or escape proof enclosure. The animal should only be removed from confinement on a leash and under supervision of a responsible adult (Some town or county ordinances may be more restrictive than state law and not allow home quarantine).

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I stopped Kasey's at 11, will likely also stop Ryder's this spring (he'll be 10.5). It was more than just a number though, it was also because he was becoming less active, so less chance of going somewhere and catching something. He was leash walked, etc. I think if you take your situation into account and the likelihood of the dog getting exposure, i.e. will your pup need sitting over the holidays where they might be in contact with other dogs, (vaccination for kennel cough might be necessary etc.), and then weigh the risk and the reward. If it's just rabies, and you've got a good eye on your pup.....I mean he'll be 13, he's had a great life too!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Dr. Josh stops everything but rabies at nine so that's what we do.. Rabies is the sticky wicket - acceptance of a note can vary can vary from state to state, city to city and business to business. He said (and I agree) that most reactions come from the DHLPP cocktail or whatever portion of it is used. It is harder with the littles as many groomers will not take a vet's note or titers for rabies - same with boarding kennels if the need arises.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks everyone, sounds like we are all on about the same page. Conner doesn't get anything but rabies, he is never boarded anywhere but Chez Rocket, he only goes to the groomer for nails (and he has never asked for any vaccination proof). His risk of expose is very very low, so I think we will be skipping the rabies.

Absolutely zero reason to vaccinate him. Recent studies indicate rabies vaccines provide protection for at least 7 years. Get a letter from your vet excusing him so you can continue to license him. If you or your vet are truly concerned about whether he's still protected you can always do a titer. Although a negative titer doesnt even necessarily mean he's not and they aren't cheap so if it were me, I wouldn't bother.

This. It would be terrible to do mess up his immune system for a needless shot. The goal-especially at his age- is to enhance and strengthen his immune system-and one of the main ways to do that is to prevent needless shots.

Thanks everyone, sounds like we are all on about the same page. Conner doesn't get anything but rabies, he is never boarded anywhere but Chez Rocket, he only goes to the groomer for nails (and he has never asked for any vaccination proof). His risk of expose is very very low, so I think we will be skipping the rabies.

Chez Rocket doesn't require a certificate. The boss can be bought off with Milk Bones. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Here in Maryland they are very strict. Even if your dog has cancer, to license, one must do rabies. Even with an exemption from the vet oncologist. Have you checked to see if they could do a titer? Our state is so strict, that when one of my new greys was vaccinated in Arizona, they made her get a new one here, even when it was not her time to get one. Otherwise they would have taken her away. The laws should be revised to allow titers. I do not vaccinate for things that are not in our area. Will do a vaccination for things if going somewhere where they may have contact with dogs we do not know. Otherwise forget it. If they had a previous vaccination for anything else, titers can be done and should be done by an outside lab, so you can tell if it is necessary. Our dogs should stop being experimented on.

Says right in Maryland's code that doctors can defer the vaccination for medical reasons:

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/10/10.06.02.10.htm

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Says right in Maryland's code that doctors can defer the vaccination for medical reasons:

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/10/10.06.02.10.htm

I must have missed it in the text - can you provide the section where it says that the rabies can be deferred ?

I see the section now - it's C. It is the Public Official that decides and there is little information on what classifies to be deferred.

Edited by MaryJane

Ok-going to be the fish swimming against the tide here. I would consider the vaccine. The vaccine is typically well tolerated and rabies is deadly. There is way more involved than just home quarantine if exposure was suspected. Not worth the risk imo. If a reaction has never been exhibited before chances are you won’t see it now.

Yeah, I may have misunderstood what they meant there so maybe its not possible. I know I skipped Neyla's and thought I had a letter from her vet, but maybe I just stopped licensing her. She had bone cancer so there was no way I was going to vaccinate her.