Sir Whines-A-Lot

We've fostered 30-40 hounds over the years; this one has been problematic for several reasons. We've had Speedy for ~8 months now, awaiting a home. He presents a difficult placement in that he's smart or aggressive (managed to open the latch on the back gate when a crazy ranting drifter walked by, causing all four dogs to spill out into the street- all recovered without injury), he's not cat safe, he's a big black dog, and he may have dominance issues with other breeds (dang near tore Tito's ear off- it's fine now).

First we weren't feeding him enough. He whined. We fixed that, and got sleep at night for a change.

Now that he's adequately fed, he's gone back to whining. Although the whining builds up to feeding time, he still whines even after he's fed, up until he slips into a food coma. No obvious signs of pain or injury. If it's a slab fracture, he hides it well.

He's become picky with his food- a slow eater- which is weird in light of how he whines before feeding time. Maybe he's bored with the bagged food, but we also add in cooked rice (flavored with meat juices), lettuce, etc. He also gets a generic Claritin daily for allergies, his only medication.

He doesn't like to leave his cushion. I have literally had to yank the cushion out from underneath him to get him to go outside. He slips off the cushion like a fried egg slides off the pan, and refuses to move- even if taken by the collar. Tonight he didn't even go on his walk, which he's never done before. A week or two ago, at a meet-and-greet, it was commented that he likes to lay down and just not move.

He is slow on walks all of a sudden. One mile walks, and by midway through, he starts walking very slowly. Normally I'd suspect joint pain (between the cushion and the walks) but he's young (about 4), and only had about 58 races. Plus, when he's out in the yard, he'll bolt back inside as if nothing is wrong.

He has started whining at night, and on Saturday he woke us so we let him out, only to have him start whining an hour later. He sometimes does this to get the cushion he wants when the other dogs get up to go out as well, but instead he really had to pee- so the second time, we called his bluff (figuring he had just gone outside an hour before) and he went into the crate and emptied his bladder. This happens now and again: he's let out, doesn't do any business, and then within a short period of time either HAS to go out again, or soils the carpet. (Fortunately, it's rare he soils the carpet.)

He and Tito got into a fight over an emptied dog bowl that didn't belong to either of them. Speedy would have killed Tito if he could have gotten through his super-thick fur. Tito's ear was bleeding and it hung on the side of his head for a week before it gradually went back to normal. We muzzled Speedy 24/7 except for feeding for several weeks after that.

I have no idea what to make of this dog. I'm not even sure what to do with him. He's a great dog, he's gorgeous, but I just can't parse his behavior. I'm not even sure I have a specific question other than what to do. He starts whining early in the morning, and neither The Lisa nor I are getting sleep like we should.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I'd start by taking him in to the Vet for a complete check up including blood work.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Does he do this if not on Claritin? Wondering if there are side effects that his system can't handle. I found one reference online in a quick search that says urinary retention in dogs is a side effect. Maybe that explains the urinary issue.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sounds like it's time for a full vet workup and then a visit with a certified behaviorist. He's communicating something, you just can figure out what that is. Some of his issues, as you describe them, seem like anxiety and low self confidence to me. Especially if he's healthy. Getting in fights over resources, not wanting to go outside, the thing with getting off his cushion, unwilling/uncomfortable on walks - we see those complaints a lot here with dogs who are anxious in their home environment. If he's smart, he could be bored and trying whatever he can to stir things up.

If his allergy symptoms allow, I would first stop the Claritin and see if that makes any difference. I would also add in some DAP diffusers around the house and talk with the vet about doing some natural mood boosting supplements like L-theanine (there another one too but I've forgotten what it's called). I'd also try to start some confidence boosting training - teach him some easy commands like "watch me" that he can be rewarded for easily, reward him for laying on his cushion quietly, when he's on walks use really yummy treats to keep him interested and walking with enthusiasm. A treat ball (or other food puzzles) he needs to roll around to get his kibble out could be good both for mental stimulation and to keep him engaged in eating.

And it might be time to consider that he needs to move to another foster home. Those of us with experience and the desire to foster feel like we can solve anything any dog throws at us, but sometimes what's best for the dog isn't our house. Not every greyhound needs to be with other hounds (or other dogs), or in a home with a yard, a home with humans doing a normal workday (or home all the time). Sometimes they just need a new set of eyes and experiences to give them a jump start. I'm NOT saying you're not a great home at all, only that this particular dog may have different needs at this point.

But start at the vet and with the behaviorist.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks everybody for the insights.

This evening was fun. I got home from work around 7, by which point in time the whining had hit a fever pitch- or so I thought. It managed to get *worse* and for a while I was ready to cart him off to the E-vet. He was actually whining to the point where there was some mild panting- he wouldn't settle down, and when he went outside, he refused to do anything except come back in.

I grabbed some kibble from the bag, and he ate from my hand- OK, no problems there, not hurting bad enough to not eat. We fed all the dogs, and he ate his meal, then laid down and went to sleep. Then it was more whining, more sleeping, a group roo (when I decided to join in on the whining- Speedy came running), and then sleeping. He started carrying on when he didn't get the cushion he wanted, but now that he's on the one he wants, there's no whining.

A vet visit is on the agenda through the adoption group; they're kept up-to-date with his issues. It's just a really weird situation.

He used to run to the side door when he was outside and saw me duck into the garage, thinking there was going to be a walk. He hasn't done that for weeks now.

Maybe we'll wean him off the Claritin to see if it makes a difference.

And hi, Pam. :) If y'all miss me, back up and try again!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

And hi, Pam. :) If y'all miss me, back up and try again!

(backing up)......... :tomato

Good to "see" you again, Aaron. I have a whiner here, but not nearly to the PHD degree of your foster

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Could the "bad" cushion be in a draft? Would a pair of PJs help?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

AAAARON! Good to see you! I agree with a vet work up and it sounds like that's on the menu. I'd do a full TBD panel through NC STate. I'd also test for Valley Fever if possible, since you are in the Southwest.

I have a whiner. He has to give his opinion on everything, but Speedy seems to be in another class entirely. I think Greysmom may be onto something with the anxiety. I also concur with getting off Claritin to see if that helps. What is his allergy?

You might want to start him on some l-theanine to see if that helps at all. Can't hurt, might help if you're dealing with anxiety.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

All right. So, last evening was not a good night. There was languishing and anguish and discomfort, and... then a seizure. We've had him 10 months, and nothing of the sort previously. And it was a prolonged one- I'd call it status epilepticus, but for the fact that he was breathing the entire time, and there were no strong muscle contractions. Urine was normal this morning (no apparent rhabdo). Also noticed this morning his right pupil is dilated, doesn't respond to light. Didn't sleep well last night, average-to-slightly-more-whining-than-usual.

Came home for lunch to get some work done, and Speedy barely moved. Wouldn't leave his cushion.

The adoption group and The Lisa take him to the local vet, and... not good; there's presumably swelling of the brain. So, tickborne diseases are suspect, "infection," and... valley fever (coccidiomycosis), which hadn't even occurred to me. So, tests are in process (VF takes four days), a handful of pills have been doled out, and... came home from work, and Speedy is his usual self, knocking over everyone- and every thing- because he's excited. The Lisa decided to check the back gate lock, and Speedy comes careening over, thinking he's going on a walk. We start to prep their dinner an hour early, and Speedy is busy stepping on all the other dogs that are laying down, and knocking over the other dogs that are still standing. Like the dog he was six weeks ago, and we haven't even started the pills yet.

I'm at a loss. But at least the prognosis has some branches that I did not consider, ones that have a better path than the ones I was thinking of, anyway.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Negative for TBDs, negative for Valley Fever. A bad combination.

The prednisone (and/or the doxycycline) seems to be doing something, and he was a bit better today. If he's fed when he wakes up at dawn, his whining becomes somewhat diminished, allowing The Lisa to get a bit more sleep. Another small seizure this afternoon. Added phenobarbital this evening.

Next steps include fluconazole (in the event the VF is a false negative), and play it by ear. CT or MRI would be on the agenda, but cost has to be measured by the adoption agency, as well as to what ends a scan might yield any long-term benefit for Speedy.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I would think his food is upsetting or at least not satisfying him. Rice and lettuce don't sound like proper food for a hound anyway. I'd change his kibble, mix some tinned dog meat, sardines or chicken with the kibble twice a day and a couple of biscuits at bedtime and see how he goes.

Sue from England

Guest nicky604

I'm so sorry to hear about another greyhound seizuring.

Any seizure is very serious indeed.

Unfortunately, this is common after multiple vaccinations.

US oval track racers are over vaccinated throughout their racing careers and then over-vaccinated upon retirement.

One of our fosters just had a seizure the day after receiving 6 vaccinations at the vet's office.

I had offered to take the dog in for titres and space the vaccinations out but that was a no go.

When a dog is vaccine injured, the manufacturer will compensate. However, when multiple vaccines are given, you cannot identify which one caused the

illness or seizure.

Combo shots are the worst.

There is no excuse for a vet giving 6 vaccines to a dog at once.

This is a terrible practice standard and extremely unsafe.

Unfortunately though, it's lucrative and convenient.

The vet will also be reluctant to admit that vaccines cause seizures, cancer and auto-immune disorders.

Poor pup!

Guest nicky604

I'm so sorry to hear about another greyhound seizuring.

Any seizure is very serious indeed.

Unfortunately, this is common after multiple vaccinations.

US oval track racers are over vaccinated throughout their racing careers and then over-vaccinated upon retirement.

One of our fosters just had a seizure the day after receiving 6 vaccinations at the vet's office.

I had offered to take the dog in for titres and space the vaccinations out but that was a no go.

When a dog is vaccine injured, the manufacturer will compensate. However, when multiple vaccines are given, you cannot identify which one caused the

illness or seizure.

Combo shots are the worst.

There is no excuse for a vet giving 6 vaccines to a dog at once.

Terrible practice standard and extremely unsafe .. but a common veterinary practice in North America.

Many vets are also reluctant to admit that vaccines cause seizures, cancer and auto-immune disorders.