Hi From Maggie And Arthur In Los Angeles

Guest Tarvos

Guest Tarvos

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking on Greytalk probably since 2008, and have loved greyhounds even longer. After years of admiring them, I adopted my first back in January. Formerly known as Fiesta Fonzy, Arthur (The Fonz's legal first name!) just turned 2 on July 14. He's actually my second dog, after Ellis--a big, beautiful mutt I adopted six years ago when his shelter photo distracted me from first reaching out to local greyhound groups.

I justified a second dog by seeing it as an opportunity to become involved in dog sports, which is something I've always wanted to do. Ellis has a bite history that keeps me from involving him in certain activities (it was under unusual circumstances, but I do not take chances). I know greyhounds are not a traditional choice for competitive obedience and agility, but all of the awesome examples to the contrary--including a few from this board--convinced me to just get the breed I've always wanted and embrace the extra challenge.
Sure enough, it's been a lot of very humbling fun ever since! Arthur won 1st place out of 20 or so dogs at the mock trial for his novice class' graduation, and we just started an intro to competition obedience class with the same club. So far I've relied pretty heavily on supplemental sighthound-specific training resources (Never Say Never has been a godsend), but I'm grateful that the classes give us a routine, structured setting for me to improve as a handler. Arthur just earned his CGC on Saturday, and my goal is to be ready to compete in our first official trial by the end of this year.
After gaining a bit more competition experience and showing my face in the community for a while, I have some early thoughts of my next grey being an AKC pup. I dabbled very briefly in 4-H as a kid and daydreamed of one day titling a dog in conformation. I know the greyhound show world is quite small, so we'll see where the idea takes me. I also hope to always reserve at least one spot on the couch for an ex-racer. ;)
This forum has already been a lot of help. The common suggestion of the Iams green bag single-handedly put an end to our diarrhea woes. Sorry for the long intro. Nice to meet you all!
-Maggie
Pictures! (All thumbnails--you should be able to click for larger versions, if I did this right.)
IMG_1983.jpg IMG_2124.jpgIMG_2169.jpg IMG_2216.jpg

:welcome2 What a handsome duo!

Edited by palmettobug

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Welcome from Germany. You have two beautiful pups there.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Annnd Arthur sits :clap What beautiful dogs! Welcome from another member of the Iams Green Bag club.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Welcome! Both your boys are gorgeous. I look forward to reading more about them (and seeing more pics, of course!).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I first met Arthur last October in the pet kennel during my first trip to Caliente. He's a striking boy with those tall white socks. The other time I met him was on his retirement day. He was understandably a bit overwhelmed by the change of scenery. I'm glad to hear he's thriving under your guidance.

20161022_0068-X2.jpg

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

I first met Arthur last October in the pet kennel during my first trip to Caliente. He's a striking boy with those tall white socks. The other time I met him was on his retirement day. He was understandably a bit overwhelmed by the change of scenery. I'm glad to hear he's thriving under your guidance.

20161022_0068-X2.jpg

What a stunning picture of Arthur! I checked out your website - what an amazing collection of photographs.

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

What a stunning picture of Arthur! I checked out your website - what an amazing collection of photographs.

Cricket

Thanks, Cricket!

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

Guest Tarvos

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! We will definitely be around.

Almost looks like Ellis got himself a mini-me!

Ha! Yeah, the matching markings was a happy coincidence. Though, I think Ellis is actually Arthur's mini me (unless we're going by bulk, which Ellis wins easily).

Thank you so much for posting that beautiful photo! It's so cool that you saw him a couple times in his old life. I did hear that he had a pretty traumatic retirement day, poor guy, but he's doing so well now. The occasional diva scream, but otherwise he's not bothered by much.

Edited by Tarvos

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! We will definitely be around.

Ha! Yeah, the matching markings was a happy coincidence. Though, I think Ellis is actually Arthur's mini me (unless we're going by bulk, which Ellis wins easily).

Thank you so much for posting that beautiful photo! It's so cool that you saw him a couple times in his old life. I did hear that he had a pretty traumatic retirement day, poor guy, but he's doing so well now. The occasional diva scream, but otherwise he's not bothered by much.

He arrived at FF two weeks after I met him at the track last October. If I remember right, he was reluctant to come out of the hauler. All the commotion that day was a little bit too much for him. He looks great in your signature photos.