Osteosarcoma----How Do You Know When It's "time"?

Guest Mr_Owski

For osteo, I don't think there is such a thing as a day too early. It's painful, and there is always the risk of a fracture :( .

Many pups do have some good time after diagnosis; sometimes that ends gently as planned, and sometimes it doesn't.

Best thoughts to you and your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very devastating diagnosis. I am so, so sorry. :(

I wish that I could give advice but both of my dogs that I lost to Osteo were gone in less than a week. The vet gave us a longer prognosis on both. Lucius fell the day after diagnosis (where the vet said it wasn't actually that bad yet) and shattered his shoulder and had to be put down at the emergency vet from that night. I'm still devastated Timmy developed Osteo in the front leg of the same side that he had a very badly healed and crooked broken leg from the track. He literally only had 2 decent legs left on the same side of his body. I spent a couple days with him, saw that his quality of life was diminishing, and let him go earlier than planned. I couldn't let him hurt. He was my heart dog and a year and a half later I still can't think of him without pain. I lost both boys within 5 months of each other, starting about 6 months after losing my Galgo to mast cell cancer.

Lucius' sister, that we fostered and hound sat when needed, developed Osteo in between my boys getting it. She got the amputation and chemo and outlived both boys. She passed last year from congestive heart failure but made it a good year or so post-diagnosis. She was 11 so her activity level was already lower and healing seemed to be easier than on a younger, more active dog.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Of ten campers lost in five years, two have been to osteo. With one, when I could no longer manage her pain I let her go, at home on her bed. With the other, I waited too long and I will never forgive myself for his last day during which he suffered. I had to get him into the car by myself and drive 30 min to help him cross over. It was awful. A few years ago I wrote the thought below about Pal. While he did not have OS, the point is about his planned last day, which was grand. This the memory I can bring to mind because it was so grand. With all my heart I believe that a day too early (with wonderful memories) is better than a day too late. Best of luck to you.

I am sorry you are at the point where you are asking, but talking about it can often shed light on what we see or don't see. Like many here, I have lost far too many dogs and had to make the decision with each one to let them go. With one, I know I waited too long and it still beats me up. But I want to tell you about Pal, who has been gone a year this past October. Pal's LS finally became unmanageable. He was 14.1 and lived a grand life. I sat with him on several occasions and asked him what *he* wanted to do and think it crazy or not, we decided together. He had a wonderful last day. He ate all his favorite things. He got to go for a (very short) walk in the rain and wear his favorite raincoat. He hadn't fallen and become infirmed, but I could see that this is where we were heading. He (we!) had a lovely day together. Our vet called to give a heads up about 20 minutes before she arrived. Pal and I continued to quietly snuggle on the couch where we had been for two hours after his dinner. As soon as I hung up the phone, he sat up and kissed my nose, *I believe* saying "It's ok momma, I'm ready." His passing was peaceful and I believe in my heart that he is watching over me, every day. Though you doubt yourself, i am sure, truly, that you *will* know when it's time. Because no decision ever made with love for your hound is wrong.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr_Owski

Thank you everyone for the replies, anecdotes, and advice. I appreciate it.

The gabapentin definitely did wonders over the past week, and the difference it made was apparent immediately. However, that minor success was short lived as I can clearly tell its benefits have diminished to where Nattie is just as uncomfortable as before.

Sadly, I'll be making "the call" in the next couple days.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this :( I have lost two dogs to osteo, both with broken legs (we did not know they had osteo before the legs broke). One, through an initial misdiagnosis, I didn't let go for a few weeks, and it was one of the worst mistakes of my life. I am glad the gabapentin gave you and Nattie a little more time. :bighug

Just hugs, for you and your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry you are a new member to this awful "club". We were in your shoes last August. We took Shadow home, to see if on enough meds, he could have some quality of life. I am a realist enough I had phone numbers of two different vets who euthanize at home in our area. 2 nights later it was my husband's turn to sleep downstairs with Shadow. That morning he told me it was time--he had given double the vet's dose and sooner to boot and said he looked restless and uncomfortable. He collapsed on his morning pee break, and we had to carry him inside.

Thank goodness the vet had an opening in 3 hours! He got the best breakfast ever and his favorite neighbor came by with yummy homemade treats, his passing was quick and peaceful. If I had a time machine I would have spoiled him the day before and avoided that painful last night he had. He had seemed to perk up a bit the previous day--we thought we finally got the right dose to handle his pain. I could not believe how quickly things went south.

You love him with all your heart, you will know when it's time. There is no magic formula. I would try to get some of these wonderful greytalkers to give you mobile vet reccs in your area, or talk to your vet about what he or she can do, and when. If you can't afford in-home, try to have a friend on standby to help drive you guys when the time comes so you aren't alone with a heavy, panicked dog in pain. We had grey neighbor's who came over at 11:30 at night to help us get him in the car the night he was diagnosed, we were so lucky!

The only thing I can say for sure is nothing can prepare you for this, but the people on these boards have been there and have plenty of advice, love, and compassion for you and your sweet hound. I really really relied on the support here in our time of need, and am here for the next greytalkers who needs someone who "gets it".

I am so sorry you are a new member to this awful "club". We were in your shoes last August. We took Shadow home, to see if on enough meds, he could have some quality of life. I am a realist enough I had phone numbers of two different vets who euthanize at home in our area. 2 nights later it was my husband's turn to sleep downstairs with Shadow. That morning he told me it was time--he had given double the vet's dose and sooner to boot and said he looked restless and uncomfortable. He collapsed on his morning pee break, and we had to carry him inside.

Thank goodness the vet had an opening in 3 hours! He got the best breakfast ever and his favorite neighbor came by with yummy homemade treats, his passing was quick and peaceful. If I had a time machine I would have spoiled him the day before and avoided that painful last night he had. He had seemed to perk up a bit the previous day--we thought we finally got the right dose to handle his pain. I could not believe how quickly things went south.

You love him with all your heart, you will know when it's time. There is no magic formula. I would try to get some of these wonderful greytalkers to give you mobile vet reccs in your area, or talk to your vet about what he or she can do, and when. If you can't afford in-home, try to have a friend on standby to help drive you guys when the time comes so you aren't alone with a heavy, panicked dog in pain. We had grey neighbor's who came over at 11:30 at night to help us get him in the car the night he was diagnosed, we were so lucky!

The only thing I can say for sure is nothing can prepare you for this, but the people on these boards have been there and have plenty of advice, love, and compassion for you and your sweet hound. I really really relied on the support here in our time of need, and am here for the next greytalkers who needs someone who "gets it".

Sorry for the double post. I shouldn't post from my phone when I've been crying.

Guest Mr_Owski

Nattie is doing okay, but the tumor is visibly growing bigger. Hearing the toes of his bad leg tap the ground as he hops along kills me inside. His muscle is pretty atrophied after 2 months of non-use. Yesterday was the first time he didn't want to eat after our morning walk, but after adding canned tuna into his dish his appetite returned. Needless to say I bought more tuna to get him through the next few days. I've been giving his pills wrapped in a thin slice of turkey, and he now has started to refuse to eat that. I had semi-luck with peanut butter covered pills, but he caught on and I had to manually push them to the back of his throat. He still sporadically pants at night and paces in an attempt to get situated comfortably. Right now we're at 400mg gabapentin in the morning and evening, and 300mg tramadol in the afternoon and night.

Despite all this, he still has his quirks and played with a squeaky tennis ball for a little bit today. He greets me at the door without fail. He knows to wait for my by the stairs in the morning and at night to carry him up and down. I took a nap next to him on the floor with a blanket and he fell asleep within minutes. He still outstretches and presses his paw against me when I rub his belly. Additionally, his balance has gotten much better on 3 legs when it comes to peeing and pooping. And, as always, he will forever be a leaner whenever he gets the chance.

That said, I've made arrangements for an at-home euthanasia to take place on Friday evening. The cost is steep at $325, but my dog's comfort is worth it. I wasn't about to let them up-charge my grief and pay an additional $225 for cremation services. I opted to keep his body at home overnight and drive him to the pet crematory the following morning and instead pay $107. The girlfriend was pretty upset about the fact that his body will be in our house for 12 hours but fiscally she understands that it's the proper choice.

Right now we're just mentally trying to be at peace with our decision and understand that although we're the ones pulling the proverbial trigger, that we don't want to watch our dog suffer anymore. The next 72 hours are going to be filled with as much pampering as possible.

If anyone has any idea regarding mementos or spoiling my dog, I'm open to what you have done or heard.

Edited by Mr_Owski

:grouphug You are doing the right thing and I am sure many of us will be thinking of you on Friday.

When I had my old chap Doc put to sleep (not for osteo) the vet came here too, in the afternoon. Before that he had enjoyed the favourite things he could still enjoy - breakfast with sardines, a tripe stick, a couple of very wobbly little walks round the block, a nap on the lawn in the sunshine, being cuddled and sung too and told he was the best boy in the world. His passing was very peaceful.

I opted not to have his ashes returned to me, creating instead a 'memory box' which contains his collar, his paw print in clay (made while he was still alive), a little bag of fur from his brush and various other mementos.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I'm so sorry that you are at this point. Be generous with those pain meds this week. Sometimes you get more relief with gabapentin by giving it in doses closer together, rather than twelve hours apart.

I have used an at home vet for my last two osteo dogs. $325 is not an unusually high price. Hugs and peace to you this week.

I'm so very, very sorry.

When I read your initial post, it made me tear-up, as we had this happen to us the week before Christmas of 2015. Our girl began limping, I took her to the vet, they did x-rays and found nothing. No sign of osteo, but she kept getting worse & worse, and after only a couple of weeks, was no longer walking on the leg at all. We went through a very expensive neuro appointment where she got a head-to-toe MRI. Still, they found nothing. Then she developed severe lymphedema in the leg and again, we took her back to the vet where they did another round of x-rays and found the osteo. Our poor girl suffered through this for 4 weeks before we got the awful diagnosis, and we were told at that point, it was likely too late to have surgery. She was only 8 years old, and we had to say goodbye a little over a week later. She was still eating, still rolling to her back to sleep and still loving, sweet and gentle to the very end. We, too, called Lap of Love and they came to our home where it would be less stressful for her (and us).

It is very clear you love Nattie. I hope your last few days together are filled with love. I refused to leave Tilly's side and we all slept downstairs together, on the floor, the day before. I still miss that little girl. :heart

Godspeed, sweetest. Hugs to your people, who will always love you.

So sorry

:f_red

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I'm so sorry, as yes, it does suck. I'm going to guess that you haven't slept well for quite a while, so try to get some rest.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.