Feeling Overwhelmed?

Guest GreytFish

Guest GreytFish

Hi all,

I adopted an almost 4 year old retired racing greyhound last week. He is my first dog. The week has gone relatively well until the weekend. He hasn't had any accidents in the house (knock on wood).

One thing that's bugging me is that when I was researching breeds, I saw that Greyhounds are pretty low energy. Like a 30 minute walk in the morning and another in the evening is pretty much all they want/need - which is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. However, my boy only LOVES being outside. He wants to go for walks all the time. I'm single and I work full time so this isn't exactly easy. Yesterday since it was the weekend I took him for a 2 hour walk at a brisk pace. He slept for an hour afterwards then immediately wanted to go back outside to walk more. I feel like the adoption group may have misled me with his energy level.

Now his new issue he started doing today is he refuses to come home. I'll walk with him for 20-25 minutes, he does his business in that time frame. And whenever I try to come home he just completely freezes. He only wants to keep walking in the direction we were going away from home. I tried doing the "give him a nudge to go in a circle" trick and that didn't work. It took me an hour bringing him home this morning and 2 hours just now at lunch time because I have to do a combination of pushing/pulling/nudging/carrying him home (and he's 75lbs and I'm a pretty short person w/ average build so this is no easy feat).

As far as anything "unusual" that may have happened recently, he started Panacur yesterday because he has hookworms. But I heard side effects of that are primarily vomiting (which he hasn't done). Also, last night one of my roommate's friends brought over a 7 week old puppy without telling us. My Grey did not like that at all, and I think he was actually scared to go outside for his last out before bedtime because I think he felt like he was being replaced or something.

I'm really starting to feel overwhelmed and stressed and I don't know what to do. The adoption group just keeps telling me "he'll get used to it, give him time". When I have to go to work tomorrow morning I won't have the time to spend an hour+ bringing him home. Or at lunch time for that matter when I come home to let him out.

I feel really guilty because when he's not being frustrating like this I really do love the guy but I'm starting to think maybe he's not the right dog for me and I should return him so he finds a better suited family/home? I'm just feeling really overwhelmed right now and don't know what to do :/

Edited by GreytFish

Do you always walk the same direction? Can you change directions or do loops that bring you past the house and that only sometimes mean the walk is over? Our Monty likes to walk away from the house and tends to 'pout' when we turn around to come home, even at 11 years old. But now we have the other dog who doesn't like walking away from the house (she's become a real homebody) so our walks are shorter loops. If we walked Monty's desired routes I'd probably have to call for my husband to pick me up on the other side of the metropolitan area!

Can you make homecoming a great thing by feeding him after his longer walk (with maybe a shorter trip for potty after he eats)? Or jog with him some, to help use up some of his energy? I assume you don't have a fenced yard for potty breaks and you're stuck with walking for all elimination trips outside (we are too).

Something else might be to drive him somewhere new and walk loops in new areas so he doesn't know he's heading back (to the car and therefore home), but that would mean a whole other set of fussiness to deal with.

ETA: I hear and understand your frustration and doubts! Monty took a long time to actually accept that he should potty when on leash when we got him, so we walked for hours at first to get him to potty, and he never wanted to pottyn the same place twice. Eventually he settled in and learned, but we too had huge frustrations and doubts. If you can weather this, it does get better! Any newly adopted dog requires at least a week, sometimes months before settling in to your routine.

Good luck!

Edited by Fruitycake

Guest GreytFish

I just have no idea how to bring him home when he freezes like that. Like I said he's 75lbs so it's not like I can pick him up and carry him home. And I feel like I'm hurting him by pushing/pulling. I have to go to work in the morning, I can't afford for him to freeze in place for an hour while I try to bring him home.

And yes there are like 6 different paths I can take whenever I take him out. I always try to mix it up so it's not always the same path.

My adoption group suggests to not take him on long walks any more until he learns to follow my command. They said just take him outside, walk around the house for 5 minutes, then bring him back in. If he doesn't potty in that time to keep taking him out every hour or so until he does.

The quick outs-and-ins that your group is talking about is what we had to do with Monty that first, brutally cold winter we had him, but he also didn't like walks particularly much so getting him in again wasn't our problem, it was just getting him to do his business outside. So, somewhat similar but his resistance was for a different reason.

Can you do tiny walks or is your area not set up with easily circumnavigated small city blocks? We kept going around one block here with only 18 total houses on it, so it was short enough to do multiple loops in an hour (or longer, as necessary). But we're city dwellers, and not suburbs where blocks are large and nice walking paths (instead of city sidewalks) abound.

It will get better!

A week is a very short period of time.

Don't give up!

Can you entice him to move with stinky treats?!?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You need to make turning and going home a *much better thing* than to keep on walking. So whenever you turn in a homeward direction - hopefully before he balks - pop a *very yummy treat* in front of his nose and lure him forward a few steps, then let him have the treat. By *very yummy* I mean rotisserie chicken, cheese, sliced hot dogs, dried liver - anything that he thinks is irresistable. Only use that treat for this purpose.

Talk in a nice, high, excite voice "Come on! Let's GO!" and make it FUN FUN FUN!!! You can also use a squeaky toy if that's more of a motivation for him. Do all your regular praising and treating on the way out, but make sure going home is *more* exciting and fun and with MORE yummy treats than before.

And practice this. Don't just do it when you take him out on walks. A couple times an hour, leash him up and tell him you're going out. Leave, walk around a few times, come back in with happy voice and treats as describe above - you need to impress upon his brain that going inside the house is much better than staying outside. We also give a nice treat once we are back inside, just to reinforce this.

FYI, if you're out and you can't get him to move, and circling doesn't work, stand behind him and nudge him forward with your knees. It might take a time or two, but he should start moving forward. This usually works, but simply upgrading your treat value is probably an easier and better way to lure him forward.

Another thing to remember is that if he is a young dog - 4 years old or younger - he's still really a puppy in an adult body. His mind hasn't quite caught up yet, and he might still need *much* more exercise than an older-than-4 year old dog. If you're a jogger he would probably enjoy it at this point.

None of this is unusual, so just try and relax as much as possible about it. Let your boss know you have a new dog with some issues that you are working on. It also might mean you're getting up a bit earlier for a few weeks, but he should soon get into the swing of things.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest GreytFish

Any ideas for what treats I should use? Before I was using milkbones. Now I'm trying Zukes beef flavored treats. With both unless I put it right in front of him he doesn't care. He won't turn and certainly won't walk a foot to get one.

He is now also pooping in people's plants in their yard, despite me trying to get him to stop. Not just in their yard, but their actual plants and flowers. He's done it multiple times today - never done it before.

I will not take him for a walk anymore for the time being. I will put his leash on, take him to our non-fenced backyard, and bring him back inside after 5-10 minutes. If he ends up having accidents in the house, so be it.

I've spoken with some friends and family and they all believe he might just not the right dog for me and I should return him to the adoption group.

Edited by GreytFish

You also might want to look into doggie day care. My Bree was 3 when I got her and she wanted to go non-stop. But one day a week at day care really tired her out and she would do nothing but sleep the next day. She loved going but I think liked the people more than the other dogs, although she was friends with a whippet.

None of my dogs would get up off a bed for a milkbone. See my post above. Yummy treats needs to be smelly, yummy, and something he doesn't get very often: roasted chicken pieces, cheese, lunch meat, sliced hot dogs, dried liver (which you can purchase at pet stores and it's a bit cleaner to handle). You just have to try a few things to see what works.

The value of the treat has to match the level of what you are asking him to do. Only use a high value treat for a behavior you really want to impress upon him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No greyhound in my universe ever went for much more than a 20 minute walk .He honestly may need a home with a dog door and/or a fenced yard. No shame in admitting it.

With Rex it was freeze dried liver, hot dogs, braunswager, liverwurst. Jack Mackerel, sardines in tomato sauce (#1 by far), cheese and anything else that caught his fancy at 4 a.m..and Sheba cat food. If i could "prime his pump" he'd go on to canned and then kibble.

Twenty five years ago I got a boy Yorkie out of the DuPage, IL pound. He had kennel cough and wouldn't eat. My vet advised Sheba because he said it was "the smelliest stuff ever". It worked like a charm. Agree none of mine would move for a milk bone but they are highly motivated by Alpo Snaps.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Personally I think a greyhound is a terrible choice as a first dog. Many here disagree with me, but they are very quirky and I would never recommend them.

If your primary purpose in reaso for adopting a greyhound is because you thought they were lazy and therefore required very little work, I can't really think of a worse reason for adopting one.

All dogs are individuals. Many hound owners would absolutely LOVE a dog who wants to walk. The group would not have tricked you on purpose. But if he isn't the dog for you, do him a favor and take him back before he gets any more attached to you.

I live alone in a condo (no yard) and am on year 17 with a dog. I walk my dog 5 times a day. I cannot ever do stuff after work, as the dog is home waiting. I cannot sleep in on weekends. The dog is waiting. But I am a tried and true, 100% dog person. For me, it's worth it. If you're not really "into" it, perhaps a dog in general isn't for you at this point in your life?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's been a week. Everything is new and likely exciting to this dog, unless he was already in a home before you adopted him.

Milkbones are not a high value treat for most dogs. Half the shelter dogs just take them and then put it on the ground when the shelter worker isn't looking :lol

Cut up some hotdogs and put them in a bag in your pocket. Try dried liver pieces. Try things that are easy to smell to get his attention.

Change things up on your walk. Change sides of the road back and forth. Go back toward the house and then go back the other way again. Keep him on his toes so he doesn't know what you will do next.

Since you can't be late for work, before work just walk around the yard for a while or back and forth in front of the house. Lunch break walk around the yard. Play in the house to wear off some energy though if you can't walk for a while in the mornings.

After work, work on walking. Back and forth by the house, a little further each time before turning. If you know anybody near you that also has a dog, walk with them and maybe it will help him be willing to head back to the house.

Pop him in the car and go somewhere to walk where you might be able to walk past your car a few times.

A week isn't long. For many, it isn't enough time for them to figure out who you are and get comfortable in their new routine.

Yep, some dogs poop in plants, my Johnny is one. Has to get way up in the bush or plant to go poops--Pampas Grass is his favorite!

For little pocket treats, I get Snausages or Canine Carry Outs and cut them with kitchen shears. Cheese sticks are good if you don't want a pocket full of cheese!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Agree a week isn't long at all...but it may be seeming like that. :) .I've taught every one of my dogs (including racing drop outs) to sleep until almost noon. When I worked long hours in IL and here in TX I paid a stay at home neighbor $20 a week to let the dogs out or walk them. Our yard guy right now charges $3 for a 20 minute walk.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Oh yes the dreaded freeze. I for a while refused to take Kasey for a morning walk because he wouldn't budge and I'd be late for work. No word of a lie we stopped about a km from home and I couldn't get him to move an inch. I sat on the curb.....just waiting him out, 15 minutes. There was nothing I could do. My saving grace, someone coming from the other direction walking 2 happy goldens. This got him excited enough to get moving again, and he actually trotted, so I trotted home with him. For fear of him stopping I kept at a slow jog and we got home. Kasey also never did a #2 when we walked either.....he waited until we got home to do it in the yard. So this also made it less desirable for me to walk him. When we moved to a new house without a yard, it took almost a month of trying to get him to go out and do a 2 within the first half hour of walking. But Ryder, oh Ryder, he knows what to do. Leash out, 1 & 2 and home. Some personalities are....just....different. A grey may still be for you, he just happens to have a different personality and you haven't given him much of an adjustment period yet. One week is not a lot of time. Remember this is all new for him too.

They will know when you are heading home, and some want to stay out. It's, IMO hard to train out, but you can, you just need tonnes of patience and tonnes of treats (cut up hot dogs are high rewards). Get up a half hour earlier to try to for the morning walk, so that you won't be late. Go in a different direction if you can. Try to keep him at your side instead of leading you, walking as a pair with him "heeled" has helped me. Or if he's not food motivated, bring a toy. Squeak, make it the best thing ever and make the walk home if he freezes a play session instead. Get him out of the rut and just help him learn that it's a good thing and turn it into a positive experience. I know it's very hard when you are watching the clock, but he has no concept that you are in a rush and are getting mad at him. He doesn't know why you are being anxious or in a hurry to get home.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Relax :). Everything is so new for all of you. Dried liver works good and is easy to carry in a plastic bag.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Could you drive him somewhere, walk him and them put him back in the car to come home? maybe take the, "I don't want to go home" out of the equation?

We did this, in reverse with our boy, who would not *leave* our property.. we'd drive down the street and then he'd be fine to walk!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I have to totally disagree with anyone saying a greyhound isn't a good first dog. Our first was a greyhound and she was E.A.S.Y. They can be quirky because of what they were born into - a home is totally foreign to them and some just take more time to adjust. We've had 6 and they've all adjusted...

That said, our current girl absolutely needed a fenced yard to do her business. She will pee on walks - but it took a lot of gentle training to get her to walk normally on leash. She'll pee numerous times (I think she's so excited to walk that she only goes in short bursts). We've had her since April and she's just now starting to poop regularly on leash. In fact, it also took me a couple months of yard training to make sure she'd fully go out there.

I'd also strongly suggest getting a harness for your boy - it makes it easier to direct the dog and you don't have to worry about hurting his neck/throat if you have to tug a little. Definitely also bring treats out to the yard and give lots of praise & treats when he goes. Also reinforce the behavior with the words, "Potty! Good potty!" (or whatever) so he learns the words & behavior. Once our girl learned this, I can easily direct her out to the yard and she goes right away. Treats on walks, also. I'd suggest watching Victoria Stillwell's video on loose leash training: https://positively.com/video/?video=Loose-Leash-Walking-Inside-1jVjFnlS -- this video helped us tremendously with our girl (she was nuts on a leash when we got her!). She practices indoors first, which we didn't have anywhere inside large enough to do this so we practiced in our yard. It will also help with turning and directing your grey when he wants to pretend to be a statue.

I'm not sure what you're planning on, but don't think he's a lost cause just yet! It's only been a week and he's probably still a bit nervous/scared and very unsure what you want from him. We did "short walks" in our yard (see above video) with tons of praise & treats until she stopped bouncing and jumping around like a flea, and then we graduated to short walks. Once she was good on short walks, we went longer and longer. And seriously, get a harness. It helped our girl tremendously to have her body directed and to take pressure off her head & neck.

FYI - all our boys have LOVED peeing & pooping on people's plants. We have a neighbor with monkey grass and they will pull trying to get to it. Sometimes they'll sneak one in on us, but we just gently redirect and try very hard not to let them go on people's plants. We don't want to be "those" dog owners, ya know? We actually have a tree with monkey grass in our yard and we let them go there and that always makes them happy. That stuff is indestructible, haha!

Good luck and try to be patient and gentle. Once you get past this hump and he learns that he is a pet and you are his human...you won't believe the love and devotion you are in for. :)

Greytfish, totally understand how you feel!

I'll preface this by saying that i foster greys and always have 2 at a time. I can honestly say you will never really know the personality of your grey until around a month or so from having them, you will get ideas and some do show you most of their personalities, but not all!

I fell in love with one of my fosters and decided to adopt him, ironically my partner fell in love with the other grey we were fostering so adopted her as well. We had fostered them for 7 weeks and i thought i knew their personalities but after a few weeks our girl (who was very very nervous when we fostered her) must of become truly relaxed because she showed her true colours. This dog is a Border Collie in a Greyhounds body!!!!

She is beyond active, she would walk all day if she could and doesn't even break a sweat! I took her on a 8-mile fun run to wear her out, we got to the end, she turned around and started walking back!!! She would wake me up in the middle of the night and take me to her lead wanting to go walking! She has always walked well but the minute we got to our driveway she'd freeze and not go in!!!!

I was so overwhelmed, i'd get anxiety attacks that id make the wrong choice that i should have never adopted either of them and should have stuck to full-time fostering!

What i did that helped, was feed her when we got back from our morning walk and afternoon walk so she associated the walk with getting fed! Take liver treats with you as well in case of a freeze, dogs love them!

If you haven't already, talk to the foster family to see if they had the same issue, if they didn't then it will help you eliminate some causation or narrow down what it may be.

You are not failing if you decide to give him back, like i said, i've fostered a lot of greys and whilst sad to, was happy to give all of them back other than 2. They are like humans, they are all unique and not everyone suits everyone. Don't give up on the bread, they are genuinely the best breed in the world. If you do give him back, if possible, i'd suggest fostering to adopt, that way you get to understand the dog before you decide to commit full time.

f023be7e-5a19-4ae1-8afe-8834a7fafa96_zps538667b1-5d6a-4dee-b6b3-654aa5912718_zps

Guest GreytFish

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I have an update.

I ended up returning him to the group last week. His behavior in general was getting worse (barking anytime I wasn't near him, refused to go up the stairs anymore, just seemed miserable in the house, etc.) and also nothing was working on the walks. The only thing I didn't try was using a harness, but by that point I knew that this wasn't going to work out. Don't misunderstand, he's a fantastic dog, we were just a bad match for each other.

The rescue group also determined that he probably shouldn't be an only dog and they will try to place him in a home with another dog.

I'm kind of at a crossroads now of what to do. One thing I learned is I would like a smaller dog (my Grey was 75lbs). The rescue group has a handful of smaller Greys but from what I understand they are all either high energy or can't be an only dog. They said they would contact me later this week and let me know what my options were.

I've also started considering other breeds (specifically mixed breeds at shelters) but so far nothing has really caught my eye.

I'll update again once I figure out what's going on.

Aw, sorry the pup didn't work out for you. Some do need another dog, at least at first.

Best luck to you going forward.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.