I Dont Know What To Do

msjpk

My boy will be 15 in Dec. He has hind leg weakness, kidney disease. He eats well and loves to go in the yard. I have to help him get up and ly down. He poops in his sleep. I got that covered. However he grunts and groans. I dont believe he is in pain but pissed he is not working right!! More frusration then anything. Is this a good quality of life? He will be going to get for check up on his kidney disease next week. Any experiences?. He is on pain meds and meds for kidneys.

Hardest decision. How is his appetite? Do his eyes brighten when he wants to eat? Usually, there is a tired look that comes over their eyes when they've had enough. Prayers to you.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

The most concerning thing for me is that he can't lie down or get up on his own. Not sure if you work, or how long he's left alone, but I'd worry that he'd want to get up and not be unable. Glad to hear he still seems spunky, though.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Our brood matron will be 15 in Dec. Her hind-end is weakening but she's still able to take brief walks (5-10 minutes), is interested in family members, still desires gentle attention, collects her favorite toys, works on her doggie brain exercise puzzles/games with supervision, and still eats very well (unless temporary medications reduce appetite). She's a little less enthusiastic during limited car rides (e.g. to vet) but can enter/exit the car via a dog ramp (manufactured with excellent horizontal ridged gripper material). We re-position (park) the car's back-end to meet the incline on the driveway to greatly reduce ramp incline. She has some kidney issues and is drinking A LOT of water. (Fine with me since she needs the fluid to flush toxins through her kidneys.) Her outings have increased (from previous healthy 6-7 outings per day) to 10 outings now. She can no longer climb a full staircase. She can stand up from a lying position on her own, but we assist periodically. If there is 4" of wood flooring at the far perimeter of a large area rug, she will find it and slip. We're SO incredibly grateful that she's doing as well as she is that we don't mind making life adjustments as needed. Presently, she's still happy, alert, comfortable, and can walk around the house on her own. Her hind-end begins to sink a bit if she stands still for an extended time (e.g. while eating meals or while outside) but is doing well overall for her age. She offers a single alert bark if she needs a human's help pronto. We have a hind-end medical assistance harness to carry on walks, etc. in case of emergency.

We lost another teenage Greyhound last year. (Slipped spinal discs while choking on dog food, resulted in complete paralysis of spine and hind legs). Emergency mobile vet came to house for our hound's comfort to avoid additional trauma of final transport to the e-hospital.

One of our other hounds recovered from a different type of paralysis (caused by a stroke) after a month of intensive home care, but that hound was not in pain and readily accepted intensive long-term handling care.

Each pet's medical condition is so unique, as is pet parents' availability, physical handling ability, and patience to offer loving home care.

Here's a Quality of Life scale that you may find helpful: http://pawspice.com/clients/17611/documents/QualityofLifeScale.pdf

If needed, link to our medical assist back-end harness: http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/collections/walkabout-harnesses

Airlift One is recommended for males. We have the "original" back-end harness for females. (All can be custom-made for Greyhounds.)

You and your special boy are in our positive thoughts.

Edited by 3greytjoys

Hugs. When I had to make the call with Benny, I made eye contact and asked if he was ready several times in the last month. When he said no, I smiled, hugged and told him I'd let him go when he was. Several times in the last week I asked because it was coming. He said, not yet.

The final time I asked, he said yes, and I told him I'd sort it.

You know your dog. They love you and trust you. Be brave, and ask them. I think you'll hear the answer if you ask and listen.

This is the hardest time.

Just some hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug I am so sorry

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. Godspeed, good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.