Gingivitis: How To Combat It?

Guest HoundWorks

Guest HoundWorks

So Siri just went in for a dental. Her teeth were in poor condition, had 3 pulled and they are now looking sparkly again. I was hoping we could stay on top of the gingivitis through daily brushing but it's already back. We feel terrible when we brush her teeth and her mouth just bleeds. Any suggestions on what to do? The doc said the dental would help but it's back to what it was just a month ago.

To be honest, I have found that staying on top of Ry's teeth with brushing doesn't work. But what does? Chewing on a smoked cow knuckle. He will usually gnaw on one for 10 mins every night and I'm very fortunate he does it as often as he does. If he got a new bone, he'd be at it for an hour I'm sure. I have really noticed a difference over the last 8 months because he can chew a bone when he wants, instead of mommy forgetting to always offer one. The additive to water doesn't work, but I also use CS as an additive once a day to his meals to keep bad breath and gingivitis at bay too.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Sportingfields

Your vet should have advised you on this. He should be on antibiotics for a week to 10 days after the dental. Daily teeth brushing helps immensely, especially if you are willing to be thorough doing so. The bleeding gums are not surprising, that should go away in a few days. There are antibacterial rinses, water additives too. Raw turkey/chicken necks are very good, at this point you don't want to give cow or pig hooves, those are too hard for compromised teeth. A couple of decades ago they suggested antibiotic 3 days each month to keep this at bay. I don't know if this is still protocol that is used. My boy that had a horrible mouth has been gone for 10 years. My vet at the time said he had extra sweet saliva which was at the root of all his troubles. This area of dog care has advanced so much. Please call your vet back for his recommendation on meds/rinse/toothpaste/water additive ect.

ETA: I had a battery powered tooth brush that we used that worked great, although electric ones have more get up and go. Diligent dental care and he lost only 9 teeth before he passed at 12. I did yearly dentals, faithfully with him, it was not possible to go longer than 12 months.

Edited by Sportingfields

I can relate. Teague's teeth are naturally just very bad (they were worn and ground down when I got him at 3), and he has deep gum pockets everywhere. Therefore brushing and chewing only helps the outside of the tooth but the pockets eventually smell awful as I can't reach them. I feed raw (he eats no starches and chews bones daily), brush every day, and use a dental gel from the vet. I am sure these things certainly help (he has no visible tartar on his teeth), but I am at the point where I just need a yearly dental to stay on top of things.

One thing I do really like is my vet puts these tiny antibiotic beads (Arestin..it is used for human gum disease) into all of the problem areas under the gum after a cleaning. They are long lasting, and do seem to help for a bit.

Edited by RedHead

Turkey necks, brushing and using Petzlife spray helps Ruby. She had a dental a few months ago and did not lose any teeth. When I give twice weekly frozen turkey necks, her teeth stay great. I tend to forget them and then the plaque wins. She has some bleeding when I brush, but if I do it daily, the blood goes away after a week or so. I always feel like I am hurting her though.

Karen

I second the Oratene water additive. We've used it for several years because Rocket does not cooperate with having his teeth brushed. He had his first dental in 7 years last December because he was having some other surgery, and all they had to do was remove a little bit of calculus, and clean and polish. No extractions, no other issues noted. I buy it on Amazon.

If you look at other brands of water additives, use caution. Some of them have Xylitol in them, which is poisonous for dogs.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Val has terrible gingivitis. What has really helped her is a combination of Oratene water additive, Oratene gel, and colloidal silver spray. Maybe she doesn't need all three, but her mouth is much, much better, so I am not messing with success!

What is the name of the collodial silver spray? How does it help?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I also think that this is very dog-dependent but I've been brushing my two's teeth for the last 2 years. After a recent appointment with my own dental hygienist I've completely changed the way I brush my own teeth and carried this over to the hound's teeth too.

Rather than just back and forth or circles on the tooth, I concentrate on angling and wiggling the brush around on the gum line, the idea being that this will help to remove bacteria from under the gum line. If a gum bleeds I (gently) focus more effort on this part to make sure I'm cleaning it as well as possible as my understanding is that getting rid of the bacteria will help with reducing the inflammation causing the bleeding - it shouldn't be hardened plaque in your case as you've just had a dental - are you able to brush like this on the gum line using a very soft brush? My vet also told me that there is only one type of toothpaste here (UK) which has been tested appropriately (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virbac-Enzymatic-Toothpaste-For-Dogs/dp/B004X8PHD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477476815&sr=8-1&keywords=virbac+toothpaste+dog).

Turkey necks work very well. Stewie has CUPS and there is not a lot we can do about it. We try and treat it best we can with a combination of dental hygiene, turkey necks and antibiotics. He's had two dentals over the last two years and his teeth are decent for a while but soon go back to the way they were, at least he has yet to lose any as that is usually the end game.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Davis had gingivitis. I started wiping his gums with Natural Dentist Health Gums Rinse (Orange Zest) mouthwash whenever I brushed his teeth. Cleared up pretty quick. That mouthwash has no alcohol, artificial sweeteners, or fluoride.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Guest HoundWorks

Thanks for all the ideas. We were looking into the water additives and were thinking of giving them a try. I'll order some Oratene and see about brushing down around the gums more. Everything healed up well from the extractions. Its just so frustrating to see her mouth bleed and the gingivitis come back so quickly.

What is the name of the collodial silver spray? How does it help?

I use Nature's Antibiotic Colloidal Silver Spray. Colloidal silver is supposed to have an antibiotic effect. I don't know if there have been any scientific studies, but I have used it on minor cuts/scrapes, and now teeth/gums, and have seen it make a difference. The vet tech who assisted in her last dental, who also has greyhounds, recommended it.

It's very dog dependent. I give Tanzi and full dental once a year and a non-anesthetic dental once a year. I brush daily and give dental chews. She has terrible teeth. Lost a molar this past dental.

Emma, who is just a year younger never had a dental except a yearly non-anesthetic. Brush maybe once a week. Her teeth are gorgeous.

Can dogs that are not on the raw diet eat raw turkey necks periodically?

And where does one buy cheap turkey necks?