Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

In our case, we got to name beware of phog - so we followed him his whole career. We got attached and made contact with his owner, then trainer and a few people at the track over his time there. He'll be a member of our family in a couple weeks when he's ready to travel - we are headed to st Pete to meet him and his people this Wednesday and then will go back in a couple weeks to bring him home

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you pick the dogs you want to pre-adopt? Teri, I understand you named the dog, and developed an attachment based on that as you followed his career. Roo, had you met Pizza Joint before you decided you wanted to adopt her? How did you find her in the first place?

Our first preadopted dog was put on a hauler to Southland where we picked him up. We paid the hauling fee. My husband drove to Florida to pick up our second and our 3rd one we picked up at Southland.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

How do you pick the dogs you want to pre-adopt? Teri, I understand you named the dog, and developed an attachment based on that as you followed his career. Roo, had you met Pizza Joint before you decided you wanted to adopt her? How did you find her in the first place?

Completely by chance! I had adopted a grey and when it didn't work out (he needed to live with another dog and I couldn't afford two) I started following his siblings. After a few races, I started reading the whole racing program for Southland (one of his sisters was racing there, and he had raced there too for his short little career, so to where I spent most of my virtual race time), mostly out of curiosity to see who was running, who had who as a sire, etc. I was building my virtual kennel on TrackInfo for fun and was mostly picking by name or weight (I like the little girls and the giant boys :lol). I saw the name "Pizza Joint" and thought it was silly and cute, so I added her. I watched her race on September 5, 2013, knowing nothing about her. She pranced out during the post weight walk, looking completely sure of herself and ready to go (this made me like her immediately - she just looked...I don't know, like she knew what she was doing and was ready to rock it :lol), and I was in awe as the little blue dog took off and won the race "box to wire". I was so impressed that I started really following her. I wished that one day she'd be mine, but never thought it could actually happen. I never thought I'd get to meet her either, but I did back in June. Her trainer brought her to the track (he was so nice!) so I could meet her and she honestly wanted nothing to do with me :lol In her mind, she was at the track so that must mean she was going to get to run and she was so focused on the track that I don't even know if she noticed I was there. Since then I've told her trainer that I'm really interested in giving her a couch when she retires. I thought it might be soon (she's almost 4, after all) but someone bought her to breed her long before I inquired about her (not surprising - she's kind of amazing, but I may be biased) so it'll be a little while before she comes home, IF she comes home. Still need to find out who's going to breed her and if he/she is willing to let me preadopt her...

There are so many ways to find a dog to preadopt. If you know someone in he industry, ask them who they know who would fit with your personality. Pick by name (I'm honestly tempted to try to preadopt another I've been watching - Creepin - who I picked by name because "Creepin" just made me laugh for some reason).. Pick by running style. Are you close to a track? If so, go and watch some races and see if anyone stands out.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I'm not near any greyhound tracks, unfortunately, but I suppose I could start collecting dogs in a virtual kennel to keep track of ones I might be interested in. I do that for the horses I follow; I picked some that I liked the look of in photos from a local yearling auction, and when I worked at my state's racetrack this past summer, I got to meet some of my original picks and added a few new horses to the list (including a gorgeous black stallion with impeccable manners). I like getting little updates about how they're performing. As for the dogs, I'd likely never get to meet them before bringing them home, which makes me nervous, but I also feel like trainers and race owners might not judge me as harshly for having a color preference (I like blues, and also blacks - I like all of my animals in blue/grey and black, to be honest -, and solid, spotted, or somewhere in between). There also isn't a safety net if the dog and I don't really get along.

What are the odds of someone with no tracks connections actually managing to pre-adopt a dog?

Do Bee is headed back to Southland tonight to attend the 2015 Reunion. He hasn't been back since he retired so it should be fun. He and Bandita will be walking the track they raced on. :)

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I think the thing about pre-adoption we are seeing now is everything does not always go according to plan. You have to roll with the punches - and I'm finding that is not easy. I'll let you know very soon how this all works out - but I guess we just always assumed that phog would have a nice long racing career, then perhaps be a stud (he has great linage and has been a good racer ) and then we'd do an easy adoption and either pick him up at our group or his home farm - both only a couple of hours from us. Now that he is injured, we are trying to take car of all sorts of things (making sure he got great vet care, double checking his injury to make sure he has what he needs, the neuter, and boarding him while he recovers from all before he should travel -- so you don't get to pick the timing or circumstance by pre- adopting - sure is something to think about

I think the thing about pre-adoption we are seeing now is everything does not always go according to plan. You have to roll with the punches - and I'm finding that is not easy. I'll let you know very soon how this all works out - but I guess we just always assumed that phog would have a nice long racing career, then perhaps be a stud (he has great linage and has been a good racer ) and then we'd do an easy adoption and either pick him up at our group or his home farm - both only a couple of hours from us. Now that he is injured, we are trying to take car of all sorts of things (making sure he got great vet care, double checking his injury to make sure he has what he needs, the neuter, and boarding him while he recovers from all before he should travel -- so you don't get to pick the timing or circumstance by pre- adopting - sure is something to think about

The timing and all the variables is what really freaked me out at first (and honestly still does!). Since I technically haven't preadopted Tessa yet (though my intentions are well known to her trainer :lol), I still get the sense of "What's going to happen if..." For instance, I during her race a week ago, I thought she got bumped (the video was horrible for some reason - all grainy and all I saw were blobs!) and I spent the next couple of hours fretting until I was pretty sure she didn't actually get bumped.

But yes, there are certainly a lot of variables - injury, future breeding, etc. Definitely something to keep in mind, but personally, I'm really enjoying the fact that I get to watch her race every week and cheer her on. It's very cool to be able to watch the first part of her life and hopefully get to be part of the second part of her life, so the variables are worth it.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

She was 2nd! She did so well today.

That was a good race for PJ. The winner is a nice pup the when she gets the lead she is hard to beat and if you beat her to the turn she won't win.

PJ is such a good turn runner. Watch the lead the 3 has going into the 1st turn and watch PJ close the gap. The 3 runs better in the straightaways and extends the lead a little and PJ closes it some going around the far turn.

Judy,

How did it go with Do Bee and Bandita?

We discovered Do Bee hates crowds. The only time he was happy was when he was on the track and then he got upset when he couldn't go in the box. I think he wanted to race. He never pulls on the leash but he did when Mike tried to get him to leave the track. He and Bandita got a great surprise when Jimmy showed up to see them. He worked in the kennel they raced out of and boy Do Bee just snuggled right up to his chest. I have a few pictures of Jimmy and Do Bee, I'll load them up and post them.

Here they are.

Do Bee and Bandita on the track.

image_zpsd4wnhjdp.jpeg

Do Bee and Jimmy

image_zpssqhyjpk9.jpeg

image_zpsawyghf0x.jpeg

image_zps2cakzdtj.jpeg

Edited by TheFullHouse

Whos the fastest athlete at Gulf Greyhound Park? Hmmm, thats a really good question. For over four years, the track record around the 550-yard course held by Cry Homer was thought to be untouchable until Seldom Told from D.Q. Williams Kennel lowered the time to 29.38 seconds on September 16th. Then one week later, kennelmate Need My Moneynow stole the bragging rights by running a faster time of 29.35 seconds on September 23rd. So that was the end of it, right? Wrong! Seldom Told ran the fastest time of his career on Friday evening October 9th equaling the track record time of 29.35 seconds to earn the Greyhound of the Week honors once again leaving all of us to argue amongst ourselves, which superstar is faster?

For his first record breaking run on September 16th, the 85-pound black son of Trent Lee Need a Date born on January 17th, 2013 was wearing the white colored blanket of the #3 post position on his way to an eleven length demolition of his top grade competition. Ten days later on September 26th, Seldom Told drew the #3 post position again and overcame a slow start to run away in impressive fashion by nine lengths. After getting knocked out of contention for the first time in his career on October 3rd, Seldom Told returned to the racing oval on October 9th wearing, yes you guessed it, the white colors of the #3 post position.

There would be no fooling around on this night as Seldom Told went immediately to the front end establishing a five length lead at the first turn. Of course at this point everyone knew the ending result would be win #33 of his 46 start career but then the question rose, could the magic happen again? Flying along on the lead almost effortlessly, track announcer John Paul Faour used the words legend and hes great as Seldom Told rolled to a twelve length trouncing and then the running time of 29.35 seconds flashed on the tote board to put his name side by side with his kennelmate Need My Moneynow in the history books.

Owned by Sharon L. Williams and trained by Craig Edwards, Seldom Told now has a 2015 record of 20/14-4-1-0 and career totals of 46/33-5-5-2.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Wow!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sitting at derby lane - have some great pics from the weekend if I can email to anybody to post. Everybody is so nice!!!! Beware of phog needs a couple more weeks recovery - then he'll be neutered and we'll drive and get him:). Anybody want any special pics today? This is our first time to ever visit a track-- like I said everybody is so nice

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE