Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thing about pre-adoption we are seeing now is everything does not always go according to plan. You have to roll with the punches - and I'm finding that is not easy. I'll let you know very soon how this all works out - but I guess we just always assumed that phog would have a nice long racing career, then perhaps be a stud (he has great linage and has been a good racer ) and then we'd do an easy adoption and either pick him up at our group or his home farm - both only a couple of hours from us. Now that he is injured, we are trying to take car of all sorts of things (making sure he got great vet care, double checking his injury to make sure he has what he needs, the neuter, and boarding him while he recovers from all before he should travel -- so you don't get to pick the timing or circumstance by pre- adopting - sure is something to think about

Are you covering the veterinary costs, or are his race-owners doing that? At what point is ownership transferred to you?

I've been following a handful of dogs for the last couple weeks and one in particular has caught my eye. She's young and running really well, so I expect she'll be competing for a while, followed by a brood career. I really want to contact her race-owner/trainer, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any tips to help me out?

After phog was hurt on the track, he saw the track vet (not at our expense). When his owner emailed us that he had been hurt and he could be ours as soon as he was ready to travel and had been neutered.....We requested an off-track vet evaluate his leg and we did pay for those x-rays and vet visit ourselves. We will also pay for his neuter and related typical pre-adoption services :). We were able to arrange the pre-adoption stuff with the help of GPA Tampa Bay Area. I was totally overwhelmed arranging stuff at first, but now we are just excited to bring him home. Trainer will evaluate his leg next Tuesday (it will have been a month) and then we'll go from there on if he is ready for neuter. As far as contacting owner/kennel/trainer-- We used both greyhound data and track info websites to follow/watch races and locate owners. Derby lane had a wonderful pr person that is no longer there and she was of great help to us in the beginning - so perhaps your track has a person that can put you in contact with the kennel/trainer? Phogs owner, Dawn Bladen, was awesome, so don't hesitate to contact the owner. You should be able to locate from info you get off of those two websites. I got some super pictures at derby lane and will work on posting them soon! We should be heading to Florida in a couple weeks to bring phog home. Good luck - feel free to pm me.

What's the name of the pup you're following?

You could try reaching out to the track, and if that doesn't work I'd contact the NGA - have the name of the trainer or owner on hand and ask for their contact info.

Pizza Joint is in race 10 post 6 this afternoon!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

To my untrained eye, it looked like she got closed out by the 4 and then never quite recovered and ended up in 8th.

You are right about the 4 coming out on her, but that is an awful long distance she ended up behind the 7th place dog. Hopefully she didn't get hurt. Could be nothing or something as simple as a cramp.

Hopefully she makes her next start and it was nothing.

Hmm that's a good point.. Now I'm worried! Maybe I'll text her trainer tomorrow to check. I try not to text him too often because I feel like I'm bugging him! Hah.

Like I said I have no real way to know, but without really getting banged around she faded quite a bit. If you don't text him you will know be the middle of next week if she is making her next start.

Polar Vortex raced Saturday 10/31 @ wheeling. Finally got her stride and had a great race, moving up on the outside to finally get that elusive win in grade D. C here she comes! http://m.trackinfo.com/index.jsp?next=resultsrace&raceid=gWD$20151031A13

She looks like a really little girl. Where can I find a current weight? Ghdata is probably not recent.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Thank you for the link. 61 is a nice size, but still small compared to most of the boys.

I had been looking to for the virtual kennel link!

I had to delete flying han solo, and winsor's chief. They are both retired and Solo is gracing my couch.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Just heard back from him - she hurt a hind muscle so they retired her. She's heading to a farm to start her mama career and he said he told them I want her when she retires! Said she'd be fairly easy to keep track of, so hopefully I can get in touch with someone and keep tabs on her!

I sell things on Etsy!

Just heard back from him - she hurt a hind muscle so they retired her. She's heading to a farm to start her mama career and he said he told them I want her when she retires! Said she'd be fairly easy to keep track of, so hopefully I can get in touch with someone and keep tabs on her!

How long are greys typically kept as broodies? I've seen some topics where people have adopted them as young as six, but most of the broods that show up on adoption sites seem to be closer to eight.

I finally got contact info for my girl's trainer. I'm really nervous about reaching out to them, though.

How long are greys typically kept as broodies? I've seen some topics where people have adopted them as young as six, but most of the broods that show up on adoption sites seem to be closer to eight.

I finally got contact info for my girl's trainer. I'm really nervous about reaching out to them, though.

What track is she at and what is her name? She may or may not be a good brood prospect.

It will take about two years from the time the female comes off the track to the time her first litter hits the track. It's a 63 day gestation period and 18 months for the pups to hit the track, sometimes a little more. Plus once off the track there is a waiting period for her to go into season. They usually go into season every 6 months, but some go every 9 months there are some that go every 12 months.

So there is no way to tell how long a female will be bred unless it is someone that just wants one litter.

Eight is kind of the upper end of breeding a female because it has been shown that they don't produce as many good racers as when they were younger. Since it costs the same amount of money to raise a bad litter as it does to raise a good one most people tend to go for a female under 8 or 9.

It costs about $20,000 to raise a littler of 6 from breeding to the track.

I would contact the trainer, what have got to lose. I would say most will reply and if they don't you are no worse off than you are now.

Dick

She broke well and the 6 went to the rail leaving a huge hole for her to rush to the turn, she did, and from there it was just a matter of how much she would win by.

Wheeling and Southland both have good dogs, but totally different track surfaces. SL has a deeper and not so hard surface with their sprint course being the longest in the country at 583 yards and the turns are more sweeping than sharp.

Wheeling has a sprint course that is shorter than the normal 550 yard course being only 548 yards. The surface is harder and faster and the turns are sharper. You are right she has taken to Wheeling and grade B is next.

I finally emailed my girl's trainer (I keep calling her mine, even though that will likely not happen) but I haven't gotten any reply. I may try calling, as NGA provided me with the trainer's email and phone numbers, but I a) don't want to be intrusive, and B) suffer from a bit of social anxiety, especially when it comes to phone calls. I might give a week before I call. Who knows, maybe I got the wrong email.

Anyways, the grey I'm smitten over is a yearling called Bluebyyou. She was undefeated until her first grade A start, where she got caught in traffic and didn't make it to the lead early on, as she prefers. She seems so spunky when she runs, I can't help but cheer her on, which has gotten me some odd looks from my roommate. She isn't scheduled for another race yet, so I hope she's alright after her troubled trip.

She is a nice young racer and when you start your career winning 5 in a row there is a very good chance they are looking at breeding her, so it might be a long wait. Others on here can tell you how long they have waited for broods. Waiting might not be a bad thing if you aren't ready in a couple of year to try and adopt her and in the mean time enjoy watching her run and cheering her on.

Dick

Bluebyyou is entered in another Grade A at Palm Beach on the 16th. Race 6, post position ("trap" in greyhound racing?) 5. I'll be watching before class :) I still haven't heard back from her trainer via email, so I think I might get up the courage to give her a call.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

how long to wait for a brood, well let me tell you. I pre-adopted my girl at the glorious age of 4 months when she was named after my wife. She raced and wasnt a bad racer. She went to the farm to have a litter and is currently waiting for said litter to hit the track. Once the first litter has established the quality, the owner will decide if he wants to have a second litter. She just turned 4 in August. It will be at least one more year before we know if the owner wants to have a second litter with her. So, assuming a second litter is not in her future, i will have had to wait nearly 5 years to get my hound. That is on the long end of waiting. it was so much fun to watch her racing career and see her move from track to track and up the grades. I believe she made it to "A" grade at some of the top tracks in the U.S. so she wasnt too bad. Not an "All American" by any stretch of the imagination, but not a bad racer either.

Chad

how long to wait for a brood, well let me tell you. I pre-adopted my girl at the glorious age of 4 months when she was named after my wife. She raced and wasnt a bad racer. She went to the farm to have a litter and is currently waiting for said litter to hit the track. Once the first litter has established the quality, the owner will decide if he wants to have a second litter. She just turned 4 in August. It will be at least one more year before we know if the owner wants to have a second litter with her. So, assuming a second litter is not in her future, i will have had to wait nearly 5 years to get my hound. That is on the long end of waiting. it was so much fun to watch her racing career and see her move from track to track and up the grades. I believe she made it to "A" grade at some of the top tracks in the U.S. so she wasnt too bad. Not an "All American" by any stretch of the imagination, but not a bad racer either.

Chad

It's the multiple litters that scares me :lol Pizza Joint is now at a farm and waiting to be bred. If her pups end up being anything like her, I'm thinking she's in for a second litter. She's 4 now, I've been watching since she started racing (her third race, actually), and only technically waiting since last June. So if you count the watching and wanting in with the actual waiting, it's been two years for me.

I sell things on Etsy!