Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

Another tough trip for Bluebyyou. She's so small, she gets bumped around really easily coming into the first turn, and she doesn't recover very well.

Four years would be quite a wait, but I'm excited. I've always wanted two dogs, so I may adopt locally in the mean time. It would probably be better to get my first hound through a group anyway. There's a cute little female "cow dog" at a local adoption group, and another is getting a load of black (and white) dogs, and I have a soft spot for big black dogs.

How soon is too soon to start prepping for your first hound? I'm really big on pre-planning for things; I already have a shopping list of dog supplies. I grew up with dogs, but this would be the first of my own...

It's the multiple litters that scares me :lol Pizza Joint is now at a farm and waiting to be bred. If her pups end up being anything like her, I'm thinking she's in for a second litter. She's 4 now, I've been watching since she started racing (her third race, actually), and only technically waiting since last June. So if you count the watching and wanting in with the actual waiting, it's been two years for me.

Are multiple litters typical? My girl's dam had two litters, but the first was small at just four puppies, while the litter Bluebyyou came from was eight. I'm following most of the second litter at this point, but my little blue girl has been my favorite since her first race.

Edited by MsBee

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tough trip for Bluebyyou. She's so small, she gets bumped around really easily coming into the first turn, and she doesn't recover very well.

First I should say that going to grade A so quickly sometimes isn't good because you don't really have experience and you are now running the big boys where everything is faster from the break to the rush to the turn.

In this race she created her own problem by first breaking poorly and then she wanted the outside so badly she kept banging into the 6. Once she realized she couldn't go through the 6 she went to the rail until the turn where she decided she was going outside whether the 6 was there or not and just went right. The 6 had fallen behind a little bit so she made it to the outside, but her race was done starting with her poor break.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think she's one of Blu Too's runners. GD lists her race trainer as Jacobs Racing Kennel, Inc, and PBK lists her owner as Janie Carroll Kennel and trainer as Monica Smith, as of her last start. I tried emailing JCK a couple weeks back and never heard from them :/

I don't think she's one of Blu Too's runners. GD lists her race trainer as Jacobs Racing Kennel, Inc, and PBK lists her owner as Janie Carroll Kennel and trainer as Monica Smith, as of her last start. I tried emailing JCK a couple weeks back and never heard from them :/

Ah, to bad because you probably would have gotten an answer from Blu Too.

I stopped by Blu Too's facebook. Apparently they don't do pre-adoption and they retain most of their dogs after retirement. They don't seem very keen on placing their dogs in homes.

Guest Bean_Scotch

No...I didn't have the best experience when I was looking for a black brindle to adopt from them. :/ I am now getting my black brindle, but it's not one of their dogs.

It's been a month, and Bluebyyou has not run or bee entered in another race. How long do greys typically take breaks between races? The active ones never seem to go longer than a week.

It's been a month, and Bluebyyou has not run or bee entered in another race. How long do greys typically take breaks between races? The active ones never seem to go longer than a week.

I would say she is off with an injury.A dog with so few races wouldn't be getting a break.

Hello, I recently adopted a little brindle girl (HKF Aria/"Arya") who retired early (she was less than 2 when I got her). I have been following her litter mates and am interested in her 2 brothers, Baldys on Fire and I Am For Real (both big black boys running at Sarasota). I am really new to following racing, but I think they seem to be doing well in their races???? Anyway, should I try to contact Fast Friends about the two boys or would it be better to hunt down their owner/trainer first for pre-adoption inquiries? I appreciate any and all help or additional information about Arya's brothers (e.g. Likelihood of them becoming studs, more information about their race career, etc.). Thank you so much!

Hello, I recently adopted a little brindle girl (HKF Aria/"Arya") who retired early (she was less than 2 when I got her). I have been following her litter mates and am interested in her 2 brothers, Baldys on Fire and I Am For Real (both big black boys running at Sarasota). I am really new to following racing, but I think they seem to be doing well in their races???? Anyway, should I try to contact Fast Friends about the two boys or would it be better to hunt down their owner/trainer first for pre-adoption inquiries? I appreciate any and all help or additional information about Arya's brothers (e.g. Likelihood of them becoming studs, more information about their race career, etc.). Thank you so much!

I just contacted the owner and sent him your post and told him if it was something he was interested in doing to send me his email address and I would pass it along and here was his answer.

Absolutely,

If they are going to good homes, i would have no issue with that.

roznmich@live.com

Thanks

Jim

I would still suggest going through an adoption group, like PRH, and that way , for the adoption fee, they will be vetted and ready to go, but that is up to you. Haulers come through NC regularly from Florida.

Hope it all works out.

Dick

Wow! Thank you so much. I had not expected this much help! I will certainly send him an email and hopefully get a better idea of the dogs' personalities. I would love to go through somewhere like PRH again, but I did not realize it was possible to get a specific dog on a haul to a specific adoption group. Perhaps that was naïve of me. In general, how would one go about this process once the boys retire? Again, I cannot express my gratitude enough for the help!

Generally the hauler is on his way to WV. Whether he would drop off at PRH I don't know, but haulers will meet on the road and give the dogs to them. So when the time comes you may have to meet him, but others on here like Roo that posted just below your original post might be better at answering whether the hauler goes right to PRH.

I am so happy to hear that! We have loved working with PRH and would love to continue to do so. One hound, apparently, is not enough and it would be fantastic to have one of Arya's siblings. She is high-energy and can be a bit grumpy with other females, but seems to love all the big, gentle boys that she has met. I am hoping that she will be a good match for one of her (much larger!) brothers and they can wear each other out. Fingers crossed!

Is it Phil?

I think so - at least, I know a Phil has been one of the haulers. I've only been present for two or three - one I don't remember much about (it was a year ago), one drove up with his girlfriend, and the last one was a youngish guy who is also a trainer (I think). I'm awful with human names :lol All I recall is they've all seemed exhausted (who wouldn't be after that drive!) but really nice.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfie's littermate is still racing at Daytona, so I decided to join the W&W thread. :) Probably just "watching" because he's currently a D grade, and the other seven pups in the litter of eight washed out early. He probably won't race for very long. Admittedly, I don't know much about greyhound racing and hope to learn something new. He did win his first race on Monday, though! Here's Cancun Heat (Craigie Whistler x Dubai Majesty).

He runs in the 11th race this afternoon too, so good jingles are appreciated!

Wolfie's littermate is still racing at Daytona, so I decided to join the W&W thread. :) Probably just "watching" because he's currently a D grade, and the other seven pups in the litter of eight washed out early. He probably won't race for very long. Admittedly, I don't know much about greyhound racing and hope to learn something new. He did win his first race on Monday, though! Here's Cancun Heat (Craigie Whistler x Dubai Majesty).

He runs in the 11th race this afternoon too, so good jingles are appreciated!

At this point in his career it is hard to tell how long he will race because he is a closer. There are no 660 yard races for maidens and that is good because most trainers don't want to run young dogs more than 550 yards.

It looks like as long as he breaks a little and makes the turn 4th or better he will run good from there. If he is near the back of the pack at the turn he probably isn't going to run well.

Have fun watching him.

The originator of Watching and Waiting wishes everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Started way back in 2009 as a way for me to learn about racing as I waited for my pre-adopte hound, I am beyond amazed it is still here and still going. Dick has taken over the thread and I cannot thank him enough for his experience and knowledge and all that he shares with us. Dick has been here right from the very start.

I'd LOVE to see as many of our adopted W & W hounds as we can round up. How are y'all doing now?

Flupascrackerbox is 9 years old now. Fit and healthy I think he could still give the old Southland oval a run for it's money.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

IMG_3262-003_zpsss1xn0pm.jpg