Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

Thanks for the insight, Dick. Out of sheer curiosity, how does pre-adoption work? Cancun is with Velocity Racing Kennels. Do you typically get in touch with the kennel or the owner?

Lester Raines owns the pup and he is one of the bigger owners in the industry. He has kennels at 4 or 5 tracks and is on the board of directors.

So I would probably try him first and see if you get an answer. I don't know him since he isn't on the American Greyhound forum.

(1C) S. Lester Raines

4300 Kanawha Ave.

Charleston, WV 25304

304-925-0123

304-768-1251 (Office)

304-454-1251 (Cell)

(lesterNGA@lesterraines.com)

If that doesn't work I would call the track and see if you can get the number of the kennel owner, Casey Alves at Velocity Kennel.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do Bee was my W&W hound. I watched him as well as his half brother Cracker with Nancy week after week.

He is now 7 years old and turns 8 in March. He is still a happy little nut who smiles all the time. Wishing everyone here at W&W a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

image_zpsjpzxr6pp.jpeg

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Beware of phog is our w&w to- be. his injury is healed and he will be neutered dec 23 - we are driving to Florida to pick him up mid January. For those of you who aren't familiar - we named this guy as a pup and have followed his career at derby lane. Got to meet him and all of his track buddies this fall and will be bringing him home very soon to join our family.

Beware of phog is our w&w to- be. his injury is healed and he will be neutered dec 23 - we are driving to Florida to pick him up mid January. For those of you who aren't familiar - we named this guy as a pup and have followed his career at derby lane. Got to meet him and all of his track buddies this fall and will be bringing him home very soon to join our family.

Good luck with your new addition.

Cricket (Solitary Tremble) was my W&W hound. She is a litter mate to our Capt. Gus (Solitary Trigger).

She raced until she "aged out" at Daytona - at age 5 1/2! Needless to say, we waited quite awhile to have her retire once we found her.

But in the mean time, we fostered many greyhounds .... holding that "spot" open in our home for her. Watching and waiting kept us from adopting our fosters, too ... knowing that Cricket would some day come home to us.

She's been here three years now. The first night home she slept roached between my husband and myself, I honestly think she knew it was all good! Funny thing - Gus came to use with the most unusual dog language I've ever heard come out of a Greyhound, and Cricket speaks it too. You can tell they are brother and sister, even though their personalities are very different.

P8050016_zpsdd07ea23.jpg?1450432541601&1

Cricket (Solitary Tremble) Capt. Gus (Solitary Trigger)

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

At this point in his career it is hard to tell how long he will race because he is a closer. There are no 660 yard races for maidens and that is good because most trainers don't want to run young dogs more than 550 yards.

It looks like as long as he breaks a little and makes the turn 4th or better he will run good from there. If he is near the back of the pack at the turn he probably isn't going to run well.

Have fun watching him.

He started pretty well yesterday, then broke way too wide. Finished fourth overall. I'm going to put out some feeler calls to Lester and Casey Alves (strictly informational!) :lol

Careful with those informational feelers, Alicia! I did that and Maverick has been snoozing on my couch for 6 years now! I called the kennel just when it was decided to let him retire. I had no choice but to bring him home, right? Best thing I ever did. LOVE THAT DOG

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

He started pretty well yesterday, then broke way too wide. Finished fourth overall. I'm going to put out some feeler calls to Lester and Casey Alves (strictly informational!) :lol

You give up a lot of lengths when you run that wide around the turns, but there isn't anything you can do to make him run more inside. He broke better than usual, but didn't finish well. I haven't watch his other races so I don't know if he usually runs that wide or if he just decided to run so wide yesterday.

One other thought if you are thinking of adopting him, I think GPA Daytona does a lot of the tracks adoptions and you might want to contact them if you have no luck with Lester or Alves, and let them know your intentions.

I'm still waiting on Pizza Joint. She went to be a broodie and I've lost track of her (kind of). I'm pretty sure I know who she's with, but I haven't heard anything from him (and her trainer said he passed along my contact info and the message that I want her when she's done). I'm going to keep at it but I'm starting to get a little nervous...

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Good luck with your new addition.

Thanks! We're excited to bring him home:). I've been pretty quiet for awhile as we wait this one out - but it seems to be moving along now just fine. It does, for sure, complicate things when there is an injury. I can't wait to post in a few weeks that he's on my couch!

I'm excited and touch envious of you who are bringing your W&W dogs home or at least have been in contact with their connections. I still haven't heard back from anyone involved with Bluebyyou and she still hasn't run a race since mid November, so I may have lost her :/

Dick, I keep forgetting you are not on FB! I've done a bunch of these little slide shows and I don't know if you have seen any of them.

This one is the latest. 2015 version of the BluToo kids. Bucky's son is a fan of the William Tell Overture ( aka the Lone Ranger Theme.) I did

a 2014 version for them, but this one is better. Not great quality even on Vimeo. Wish it looked as good as it does on my machine, but it never does. Too much compression I guess.

Dick, I keep forgetting you are not on FB! I've done a bunch of these little slide shows and I don't know if you have seen any of them.

This one is the latest. 2015 version of the BluToo kids. Bucky's son is a fan of the William Tell Overture ( aka the Lone Ranger Theme.) I did

a 2014 version for them, but this one is better. Not great quality even on Vimeo. Wish it looked as good as it does on my machine, but it never does. Too much compression I guess.

Nancy that is great!! Love the pic of the dozen +/- roaches!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

X3

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.