Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

Ahh - while at wheeling watching AA did you happen to see wins Jayhawks? He's doing great in AA - so happy for him. We are going to derby lane mid-October and we will get to meet his brother beware of phog - whom we really hope to adopt when he retires. Phog is still injured.....ran a schooling race the end of August and got second, but scratched his second schooling race that was scheduled. We have already made contact with phogs trainer and will get to meet him and have some time with him in October - I'll keep you posted :)

That is a pretty good litter with a number of them running at pretty good tracks.

Good luck with adopting Phog when the time comes and hopefully he is running when you are there.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Yes, a great litter of pups. Momma Monica Crawley was just available for adoption thru halfway home - I was so tempted - I've always wanted siblings or momma/baby - but we already have ronee and jill and are waiting on phog - and tempted with ronee's daughter ample pleasure or phogs brother wins Jayhawks. Ill update after our trip to derby lane :)

Race 13 of matinee on Wednesday, 9-16.

29.38 550 yards. Ran a clean race and dominated.

http://www.gulfgreyhound.com/greyhounds/results/Sep15/ggmr0916.pdf

http://www.gulfgreyhound.com/LiveAndReplayVideos.aspx

I can't figure out how to post the video.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Polar Vortex is moving to Wheeling. She turned two Saturday the 19th.

Polar Vortex is moving to Wheeling. She turned two Saturday the 19th.

Hopefully she takes to Wheeling better than she did Southland. I'm sure she looked good at the farm getting finished for them to send her to SL right away, but sometimes a dog doesn't take to a track surface and other times they guessed the wrong track to send her to because the competition is to tough.

Hopefully she takes to Wheeling better than she did Southland. I'm sure she looked good at the farm getting finished for them to send her to SL right away, but sometimes a dog doesn't take to a track surface and other times they guessed the wrong track to send her to because the competition is to tough.

She didn't like the deep track. In her races that I watched she tried. Never gave up.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Pizza Joint won her AA race tonight (evening race 12, post 1)!

That was a really good race for her. She is a really good turn runner. Watch her run the 1st turn. The 6 has the lead and is on the outside and the 2 has a 1 length lead over her, she is the 1, as they enter the 1st turn. She powers her way around the turn and as the enter the backstretch she has a 1 1/2 length lead on the 2 with only the 6 to run down.

http://www.trackinfo.com/video-box.jsp?raceid=gwd%2420150925e12&runnername=Pizza+Joint

I thought the name looked familiar! It didn't click at the time - I realized like 5 minutes before her race that it was almost time for it so by the time I got the page up I barely had time to glance at the entries but knew there was something familiar about one of them!

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

That was supposed to say "Joint" and apparently my phone has forgotten how to autocorrect.

She was so close to first but the 8 pup (Boc's Constanza) overtook her right at the end.

That was a great race by Pizza Joint and when you consider she had the toughest box to run out of and Boc's Costanza had the 2nd best box she did good. Plus the 8 is in the prime of his racing career and Pizza Joint will be 4 next month so she was really good all things considered.

She's up again this afternoon in race 8, post 1! Hopefully trackinfo will start working for me again before that...

Eta: strangely enough, it came back as soon as I posted :lol

There is a lot of early speed in the race, including Pizza Joint and there is no big closer. So you will probably have to be 1st or 2nd to the turn. So the 1 box is an advantage, but she will have to hit her break and defend her lane. She has been running great and there is no reason to think she won't today.

There is a lot of early speed in the race, including Pizza Joint and there is no big closer. So you will probably have to be 1st or 2nd to the turn. So the 1 box is an advantage, but she will have to hit her break and defend her lane. She has been running great and there is no reason to think she won't today.

Your insight are fascinating! Every time she races I feel like I learn something new.

Unfortunately, it appears there's no video today (or my phone no longer gets along with TrackInfo, which would be a shame). I guess I'll just have to wait for results :(

I sell things on Etsy!

You have to break down into segments. The break, the rush to the turn, how the dog runs the turns, the backstretch and the finish. Then you have to see where the dog likes to run, inside, mid, or outside.

Of the 5 segments every dog that races does at least one of these well, even if it isn't great, or he wouldn't have made it to the track. Some dogs do two of these well and some can do all 5 well. True closers you already know will only do two of these well and probably great, and that is the last two. True closers will run the backstretch well and will obviously finish well.

Great dogs like Downing did everything great. He would break and rush the turn and he was one of the all-time great turn runners. He would come back from some races with dirt and grease on his left-side because he would rub up against the rail at times going around the turns.

Where great backstretch runners will be determined by their run down the backstretch. They usually have to be in decent position at the turn and heading down the backstretch they make their move. They will start going by dogs in front of them and have to be smart enough to run to daylight. That means they have to go inside or outside. However, for as fast they are going down the backstretch they can't sustain that pace and will level off. if they are in front going into the far turn they will probably win, but their energy is spent and they probably won't continue passing dogs.

Great backstretch runners can be really good dogs.

Then there are runners that can continue passing dogs and they are the closers. Some closers have to be 3rd, 4th or 5th to the turn and from there they will almost always hit the board.

Then there are the great closers that will be 8th out of the box and 8th at the turn. The great All-American Malka was a great closer. Many times she was 3,4,5 lengths behind the 7th place dog after the break and at the turn. But heading down the backstretch she would start her run and as long as she fired she would start passing dogs like they were walking. As long as she fired it would be one long furious run to the finish line. At this point you knew Malka was going by everyone, the only question left to be answered was would she pass the leaders before or after the finish line. While she didn't win all the races she when she fired, she made everyone stand up and cheer.

If you didn't bet her the words you never wanted to hear was "Malka's loose" because from there you weren't watching your dog anymore, All Eyes Were On Malka.

Unfortunately, it appears there's no video today (or my phone no longer gets along with TrackInfo, which would be a shame). I guess I'll just have to wait for results :(

She didn't break very good and finished 5th.

See if this works for you.

http://www.trackinfo.com/video-box.jsp?raceid=gwd%2420151007a08&runnername=Pizza+Joint

Hi all - last nite beware of phog was injured in his schooling race - we are still awaiting word from his trainer, but have heard from his owner, Dawn Bladen (so nice!!) several times and it appears we are headed to Florida very very very soon to bring him back to retire at our house. I can't describe all the emotions today - I am so sad that he will go out like this - and worried about what the injury is - but excited to bring him home to begin his retirement....also worried about our 'girls' -- six year old Jill is, just as her name says, rowdy.....and ronee is almost ten years old.....how will the pack interact - especially if phog is recovering from injury.....we have not ever had three greyhounds at one time.......but ready to actually meet him and bring him home. Not sure if trainer is just busy, sad today too, or still awaiting vet check??? Thanks for letting me air all my emotions here

Edited by teri_d

I see the comment says stumbled and faded. He did finish the race. Whether it is the same injury that he was coming back from or something else I don't know. However, at 40 months of age an injury that a younger dog would come back from in a month or two will sometimes be something that will end the older dogs career. Not because it is bad, but because at 40 months old a racer is on the downside of his career and it is time to retire him instead of having him rehab and race again.

Hopefully it is something like that.

Thanks for your reply.....I can see that being the case - especially since he had not raced since May. Last nights email just told us he had been injured and to contact the trainer to see when he would be ready to come home with us. This morning we got a release to show to derby lane and instructions to get shot records, etc. I do want to make sure there is not a trainer/handler that is attached to him that wants to adopt him since he would already know and love them - don't know it that ever happens - but I would definitely let that person have him over us that he's never met. I sure hope you are right -- will keep you posted and hopefully be posting pics soon.

Many trainers do take home some of the dogs as pets as do a number of farmers. I know the farm I get most of my dogs from the owner has 6 of her dogs, usually stud dogs or broods, that live in her house as long as they get along with her cats. As one passes she takes another in.

Hopefully the injury is nothing serious and you can get him soon along with some pictures.

Dick

How does pre-adoption work/happen? I follow some racehorses at my local track, and there's at least one that I would really love to have one day, so I'm sort of familiar with how acquiring a racehorse straight from the trainer or race owner works, but racing greys are sort of foreign territory.

Someone else will have actual advice for you - I haven't technically pre adopted Tessa (Pizza Joint) yet, but I'm working on it! Her trainer is trying to find out who bought her for breeding and connect us. I connected with her trainer in kind of a roundabout way - asked the director of PRH, who got me in touch with a different owner/trainer, who put me in touch with Tessa's trainer.

But the way I hear that most people go about it is to find out who owns and/or trains the pup you're interested in and get in touch - I believe the NGA will give you their contact information. Others will have better advice for you :lol

I sell things on Etsy!