Eating Cat Poop

A friend's non-greyhound has started snacking from the kitty litter box. This is a relatively new behavior.

The layout of her apartment is such that it would be difficult to put up barriers. Plus her boyfriend has mobility issues, so that limits gating.

She's asked me about the food additives to discourage poop eating. We use a product that works for Charlie about 90% of the time.

But she's dealing with a dog eating cat poop. Is there a product she can feed her cats that will deter her dog from wanting it?

I have zero experience with cats, so any suggestions for my friend are welcome.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I doubt it. Litter pan in the bathroom, cat door or gate the dog out. Or maybe a kitchen cabinet? Anyplace that can be secured from the dog will do.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Scouts_mom

Put a large box upside down over the litter box. Cut a hole for the cat to get in. You may need to weight it down so the dog doesn't flip it over.

it's apparently instinctive, in pre-domestication days the mother dog would lick the pups butt to encourage defecation, then eat the poo to get it out of the den where it's smell could attract predators.

about half of dogs eat poo. some poo eaters are also species blind and find every animal's dung attractive. including their own. there is little to no nutritional value tho. they just like it.

if you hurry and pick it up to keep the dog from getting it, or telling them off, you are teaching them that you find it attractive and want it all for yourself, thus encouraging them to get the high value treat at all costs, especially if you a re not looking.

better to ignore the actual poo eating while in progress, and clean up when they are not around to see you, as well as substituting higher value human acceptable treats. and lots of drop-it or leave-it training.

(coincidentally, there was an episode of a dog behavior show on TV last night that specifically dealt with the subject)

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

A friend uses has :lol one of these end table litter boxes and is very pleased with it!

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Jan, those are some pretty fancy kitty potties. :P

My friend's dog is a puggle and she's about the size of a big cat. that'll make it tricky to find a little box with a small entrance.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Gillybear

Back when we had a cat, we converted an extra closet into the litter room and installed a cat door on the closet door. This kept the dog away from the litter and the cat seemed to appreciate the privacy.

We have covered litter boxes and thrn the opening to face the wall or on an angle in a corner.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We have covered litter boxes and thrn the opening to face the wall or on an angle in a corner.

We did exactly the same thing! We turned the litter box so the opening was towards the wall with just enough space for the kitties to get through. They would leave it alone for a while and then I'd come home to find litter scattered about. Greys are resourceful!

This tactic has helped us in the past. "We have covered litter boxes and thrn the opening to face the wall or on an angle in a corner.

As other's have said, cat poop is, from a dog's point of view, some pretty high quality protein and not to be passed up if available.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Gates are out because of her boyfriend's mobility issue. She had the covered litter box turned around but her puggle pushed it and got to the "treats". She's working on a better way to prevent that from happening again.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

tiny hada siggy.png

How about a large tote with a hole in the top for the cat, litter pan to one side, drop down platform on the other, just below the hole on top. kind of like this idea: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KVL30NC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1435552241&sr=8-4&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=Clevercat#

Or the booda dome, May work depending on the size of the cat

Lastly, found this on instructables, it might work: http://m.instructables.com/id/Dog-Proof-Cat-Litter-Box/step3/Cutting-the-Doors/

Does the boyfriend need access to every room, all the time? Because the obvious and most simple solution is a baby gate...but if that won't work, maybe they could put the box up on a table? Or do what I did once--I attached a length of rope and a hook on a door so that it could only be opened about 4 inches. Enough for the cat, too narrow for the dog. It was easily opened by a human with one hand. So if he's in a wheel chair or uses a walker or something, he could open it up when he needed to easily enough!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Susan, your limited door gap idea sounds promising. I'll pass that along to my friend.

tiny hada siggy.png