Moral Dilema - Sick Greyhound -

I'll try to make this brief and to the point. I have a FB friend (NOT on this board, although I think the FB version), who became my friend because her hound and mine were siblings. She was single at the time. She then moved in with her BF, and they got a 2nd greyhound. Hound #1, my Opie's brother, passed away, brain tumor at age 9.(My Opie passed about 8 months later from a rib tumor). Shortly after that she got another greyhound, Hound #3, a broodie. She became pregnant, had a baby, and Hound #2 did not like this baby (or any young children, it seemed). Hound #3 was fine with baby, being a broodie. Many traumas in this friends life, fire in house, having to move a few times, and last time was told after they signed a lease that oh, it was only one dog that was allowed, so one would have to go or they couldn't move in. So Hound #2, who did not like children, was the one returned to the adoption person, and rehomed. Friend is now pregnant with child #2 due in a few months, and has stepchildren for the summer, plus cats and birds.

What is my dilema? Well I get a text yesterday that remaining hound #3, broodie, has not eaten in 3 days, is hiding in bedroom (admittedly doesn't like all extra stepchildren in house - maybe because she is sick???!!!) has cataracts, and so maybe they will have to put her down. And in her most expert opinion, is acting like Hound #1 before he passed - not eating and hiding. Of course I said what did a vet say - and it was oh, haven't been to a vet, dont have money, have to wait til Friday til BF who is now DH gets paid. Huh? 3 days not eating, drinking a bit, but waiting to go to a vet. I suggested that if she could not take care of hound, that she should return to adoption person/group. That if she waits this out, hound may die. No answer back.

So what the hell do I do? I am nowhere near this person (thousands of miles apart). I feel like while she is waiting and taking care of kids and stepkids, this dog will die. And then it will be = well see, I knew she was acting like hound #1 before he died

I am just sick over this - this dog may have a very treatable problem, but is not being taken to a vet. Or it might be something serious. But dammit, take it to a vet!!! And I don't see that there is anything I can do. :( Sometimes things just suck. :(

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I guess all we can do is pray for the poor dog. It breaks my heart. A precious broodie to be treated like that after all she has been through. I long for the old days when adoption groups CAREFULLY SCREENED prospective greyhound adopters. IMO greyhound adoption has become much too easy and the dogs are paying for it. Seems like not only is financial ability to provide not considered anymore but apparently compassion and maturity/mental capacity to care for one isn't either. Just seen quite a few sad situations recently that would never have happened in years gone by because they would never have been approved to adopt a greyhound in the first place. JMO.

Not to defend her, but she is overwhelmed, and should have given up the dog long ago, probably when the other one was given up. I would take her in a heatbeat, but unfortunately don't live anywhere near there. Yes, you need to think of the dog long and hard before adopting one. Life situations change, and how will you deal with it? I agree with post above - so many groups put the A#1 consideration being a fenced yard. This person had a fenced yard. There are SO many other things to consider in a potential adopter - yes, financial, maturity (both mentally and in years), experience, etc. I am leaning toward contacting the person/group, as I do know who it is.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I would call the group, imo this is animal abuse. Maybe there's some support they can provide or maybe she'd agree to surrender the dog.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Is there a group local to her that you can refer her to?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Your friend may well be overwhelmed, but that does not absolve her from caring for this ailing dog in whatever way is best for the dog. If that means surrendering the dog to ensure her survival and well-being, then so be it. Please call the adoption group and get this poor dog some help. I think in your heart of hearts that is what you have been wanting to all along. You are a good person for not turning your back on this very sad situation.

Yes and yes. I do know the group. I may contact her one more time right now, and then say this is what you NEED to do for that poor animal, and if you don't I will.

Yes and yes. I do know the group. I may contact her one more time right now, and then say this is what you NEED to do for that poor animal, and if you don't I will.

Agreed. Good thoughts for the pup.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Your friend may well be overwhelmed, but that does not absolve her from caring for this ailing dog in whatever way is best for the dog. If that means surrendering the dog to ensure her survival and well-being, then so be it. Please call the adoption group and get this poor dog some help. I think in your heart of hearts that is what you have been wanting to all along. You are a good person for not turning your back on this very sad situation.

This. Your friend may well need someone to make the decision for her. You and the group are acting for the dog, who can't advocate for herself.

I have always joked that adopting my first greyhound was harder than applying for college, but I am truly grateful for that fact. Having adopted from a new group, in a new state, I am thankful that despite knowing that they could speak to my old group, my vets, etc. they still did a home visit to meet me and check me out before allowing me to adopt. Easy for us does not always equate with best for the dog.

Guest daytonasmom

You could recommend to your friend she apply for Care Credit, it helped me with a big vet bill I wouldn't have been able to afford on my own all at once. Still a good idea to find the dog a home that's a better fit.

Guest FordRacingRon

I would call the group, imo this is animal abuse. Maybe there's some support they can provide or maybe she'd agree to surrender the dog.

I a not privy to all the info you are,,but I go with this one. If she cares for the dog and wants the best,,perhaps a surrender it the best thing.

Seems like a couple of friends would loan the money at least for a vet office visit until tomorrow. :(

Different people have different ideas when it comes to medical care - human and animal. I know a family member has chastised me for taking the dogs to the vet every other whipstitch.

Does seem she'd be trying lots of different things to try and tempt the dog to eat (or maybe she is and we don't know it). Rex and his grumbly tummy would go on hunger strikes, sometimes for a couple of days.

Hope the hound gets help and gets well.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

OK, today's update on this. Dog ate today, as she fed it in their bedroom. Yay! This not eating also coincided with the stepkids coming for the summer this past weekend. So she feels (and I agree) that this could be from stress. Having 3 kids around would stress me out! I told her she still needed to take the dog in, and I told her straight out that maybe this is all too much for her right now, and that I intended to be the advocate for the dog, and ask her questions every day about the dog. She had actually thought about contacting the adoption person, (who is also a vet) but she is out of town this weekend. She, as of now, is intending to take the dog in on Monday, if there is no improvement. But the fact that she ate, in a quite place, is a good sign. Believe me I will be all over her about this. She plans on having their bedroom be the dog's safe spot, away from all the kids. I do believe her heart is in the right place, but that she is just overwhelmed, and very pregnant, and perhaps not thinking clearly.

Anyways, at least its promising news

Guest AngelPup

I'm glad it seems to be resolving itself. Sounds to me as though she (and her hound) is very overwhelmed (who wouldn't be with a house full of children, a dog, cats, birds, and being pregnant, on top of 'normal' everyday stresses, etc.). And on top of that, she didn't have the money to go to the vet until her husband got paid in a few days. Even with all that, she STILL worked at figuring out why her hound wasn't eating and determined it was nerves and is now eating. I, personally, wouldn't call that abuse or neglect--just LIFE. I think she's doing the best she can under the circumstances and I'm in AWE of her. Plus I highly doubt this dog would have died in a few days without eating.

It's very hard to know exactly what is happening in someone else's life and what they are feeling, etc., so I try not to judge or jump to conclusions (especially since I'm usually wrong in my assessment).

Just because this family is going through a difficult time doesn't mean they are unfit to have a pet. Maybe having this sweet brood momma around is comforting to this stressed out Mom. I would suggest if you are that concerned about the welfare of this dog, than why not help the FAMILY? They don't appear to me at least to be neglectful.

This family is experiencing temporary extra stress. Maybe once the dust settles (step kids are gone and baby born) things well go back to 'normal'. If, however, she's still struggling to juggle everything than she can contact the adoption group and discuss her situation with them to decide what would be best. That doesn't mean the hound needs to be surrendered, maybe they can come up with suggestions on how they can stay together, etc. But IMHO, under the circumstances, that needs to be handled by THEM. This is not a neglect or abuse case--that would be entirely different.

PS, I know homeless people who take better care of their dogs than some rich people I know, so I try not to judge whether someone should own a dog by how much money they have. There are agencies out there that can help with that.

I fear Burpdog is right. The step-kids are there for the summer, which is just starting!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I know, my thoughts too. Haven't talked to her today, she had gone to the doctor, and well, I have a life and was very busy today. Will chat with her over the weekend and see what is happening. I would take the dog in heartbeat if she was closer to me.

My take on this is that your friend does not "need" this dog. She has plenty of things to take care of plus she is about to pop another kid, which means even less attention will be paid to the dog. The dog however, needs a better owner, someone who will give her a quiet, peaceful life and pay attention to her basic needs (like veterinary care, and whether or not she is eating). I have seen this happen so often when I worked at a shelter, perfectly nice dogs relinquished when their owners had a kid and decided that they have no time for the dog or any real desire to take care of the dog. As a few people already mentioned-maybe this person just needs someone to make the decision for her and have the dog returned to the group so she can be found a better home.

My take on this is that your friend does not "need" this dog. She has plenty of things to take care of plus she is about to pop another kid, which means even less attention will be paid to the dog. The dog however, needs a better owner, someone who will give her a quiet, peaceful life and pay attention to her basic needs (like veterinary care, and whether or not she is eating). I have seen this happen so often when I worked at a shelter, perfectly nice dogs relinquished when their owners had a kid and decided that they have no time for the dog or any real desire to take care of the dog. As a few people already mentioned-maybe this person just needs someone to make the decision for her and have the dog returned to the group so she can be found a better home.

So very true. It is a sad thing to watch happen as often what health the dogs have left is usually allowed to waste irrecoverably away while they are neglected-and suffer the results. So when they finally are allowed to get out of such a horrible enviroment they usually have rotten teeth and rotten health from being neglected for so long. Arrrrrrrrr