Sunshine's Big Booboo

JAJ2010

On Black Friday Sunshine was eating a cookie on a dog bed and one of her friends tried to take the cookie from her. We will just say it didn't end well. :( We ended up going to the friend's vet for an emergency trip for stitches. Seriously AWESOME vet! They let me stay with her the entire time, since she's a nervous little girl. Then drove 90 minutes home afterwards, BF rode in the back of the van, on the floor, and held her the whole time. We had a foster and Rainy with us so we needed to make sure neither of them bumped her. Poor little pumpkin was in a lot of pain for the first two days.

We've spent the last month immersed in vet wrap, gauze, manuka honey, muzzles, jammies, oh my! I spared greytalk from my incessant worrying, examining twice a day, and stupid questions. We are all healed up now and I thought my crazy picture taking might help others if they are freaking out about nasty looking booboos. I'm just so glad it's over.

There are tons of pics and it just seemed easier to plop them all on the blog. Don't click on the first 1 or 2 links if you're really squeamish.

http://chuckleatchaos.com/sunshine-gets-stitches-part-1-really-graphic-pics/

http://chuckleatchaos.com/sunshine-gets-stitches-part-2-graphic-pics/

http://chuckleatchaos.com/sunshine-gets-stitches-part-3-graphic-pics/

http://chuckleatchaos.com/sunshine-gets-stitches-part-4-graphic-pics/

http://chuckleatchaos.com/sunshine-gets-stitches-part-5-graphic-pics/

If I had to do it over, I would have started the manuka honey as soon as the drain tube came out.

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

When Ben's girl Chrissie was attacked back in September the vet told us that the worst part of dog bites is there is crushing of the tissue at the edges of the wounds and that it is difficult to tell how much to clean up the edges of the wounds so that they would not break down after suturing....this indeed proved true with her, her wounds all broke down after one week and had to be cleaned back to fresh tissue and re-sutured. Thankfully after that she healed most capriciously....looking at her after 3 months, apart from a lack of her usual scruffy top coat you would hardly know that anything had happened to her.

Your pictures offer hope to people who see an horrific looking wound, wondering how it will ever heal. Thank you for sharing (sadly I am not sufficiently computer literate to share Chrissie's pics...and they would probably put you off your lunch anyway!) I am so glad that Sunshine has healed so well.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Glad she is ok. Manuka honey is magic!

Manuka honey *is* magic. So glad Sunshine is healing so nicely!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

When Ben's girl Chrissie was attacked back in September the vet told us that the worst part of dog bites is there is crushing of the tissue at the edges of the wounds and that it is difficult to tell how much to clean up the edges of the wounds so that they would not break down after suturing....this indeed proved true with her, her wounds all broke down after one week and had to be cleaned back to fresh tissue and re-sutured. Thankfully after that she healed most capriciously....looking at her after 3 months, apart from a lack of her usual scruffy top coat you would hardly know that anything had happened to her.

Your pictures offer hope to people who see an horrific looking wound, wondering how it will ever heal. Thank you for sharing (sadly I am not sufficiently computer literate to share Chrissie's pics...and they would probably put you off your lunch anyway!) I am so glad that Sunshine has healed so well.

I guess that explains the disappearing skin flap after the drain tube was removed. I thought it would take much longer to heal once that hole showed up.

I'm hoping the pictures help someone else out. Seeing day by day pictures sure would have helped me freak out les. I'm a big worry wart.

I'm glad Chrissie healed up with no scaring!

Manuka honey *is* magic. So glad Sunshine is healing so nicely!

LOL I feel like I need to have a hive out back to help the bee population out now. I owe the species a lot!

------

Jessica

Poor girly, so glad it has healed up so well. The photos were good ones. Not long ago my senior girl got bitten on the ear and a patch of the tissue on the back of her ear got necrotic and sloughed off leaving a nasty looking hole in her flesh there. I took a lot of photos too because it helps me really study and look up close at it on my computer and see how it is changing over the days too. She is pretty much fully healed up now. It's amazing what the body can do and how a horrific looking wound can heal so well.

Experienced something similar over the ribcage, so not nearly as grizzly as Sunshine's injury. We also lost the bottom of the "V" and had to do a surgical procedure to remove the dead tissue and close the wound again. No drain to worry about and healing was uneventful.

Glad Sunshine is healed and I'm sure she is, too!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

OUCH!

That was a nasty hole. I'm glad she's healed so beautifully.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor girly, so glad it has healed up so well. The photos were good ones. Not long ago my senior girl got bitten on the ear and a patch of the tissue on the back of her ear got necrotic and sloughed off leaving a nasty looking hole in her flesh there. I took a lot of photos too because it helps me really study and look up close at it on my computer and see how it is changing over the days too. She is pretty much fully healed up now. It's amazing what the body can do and how a horrific looking wound can heal so well.

Oh I was blowing the pics up on my 24 inch monitors at work and comparing each day right next to each other. Glad I'm not the only one!

------

Jessica

Two questions: Was another greyhound the attacker and what was in

that cookie, crack??? :omg

Thanks for posting this. I hope I never need your knowledge but I have never read a bad thing about that manuka honey...maybe it would be good to keep on hand "just in case." Any idea what the shelf life is?

Yes it was another greyhound :-( Was just a normal cookie.

I've heard that honey never expires but I'm not sure I'd that applies to the manuka honey. Locally I get out from the Vitamin Shoppe. If I can wait for shopping, I get it through Amazon. I try to find ones that have an active higher than 15+

------

Jessica

Guest blueberri

It's brilliant stuff for sore throats too!

So glad Sunshine is doing better :) That must have been some horribly scary times for you all.

In regards to your comment re the drain removal - most vets will suture the drain in place with one or more sutures, and they often get hidden in the healing wound. I personally would not remove a drain unless 1, I had the go-ahead from the vet, and 2, knew exactly where the sutures were to cut for removal. However, removal time is also check-up time for the vet to sight the wound... so it's all good. Have seen someone try to remove a drain that was still sutured in - yeah, it's not good. You did the right thing by your beautiful girl.

Love the pic of her sulking btw :beatheart

It's brilliant stuff for sore throats too!

So glad Sunshine is doing better :) That must have been some horribly scary times for you all.

In regards to your comment re the drain removal - most vets will suture the drain in place with one or more sutures, and they often get hidden in the healing wound. I personally would not remove a drain unless 1, I had the go-ahead from the vet, and 2, knew exactly where the sutures were to cut for removal. However, removal time is also check-up time for the vet to sight the wound... so it's all good. Have seen someone try to remove a drain that was still sutured in - yeah, it's not good. You did the right thing by your beautiful girl.

Love the pic of her sulking btw :beatheart

She is a champion sulker! LOL

The drain was stitched in. All the vet did was take the top stitch out, the bottom stitch, cut the top of the tube so she wouldn't pull the dirty part through, then it just fell out!

I brought a muzzle and asked if I should muzzle her, etc. My exact words were "That's it? Well I feel stupid for driving over here..." Vet laughed and said she hoped there wasn't a next time, but if there is, I'm now educated. Love our vet! She also told me just to take the stitches out myself on day 14.

At that point here wound looked amazing since the hole at the bottom hadn't opened yet. She might have given different instructions if the stitches doesn't look tight. Although I'm not sure new stitches would have held.

Blah! I'm glad it's over

------

Jessica

Actually when I removed the stitches I was nervous. The only other stitch removal I've experienced was on a Boston terrier foster who had her eyes removed. She was a snarling mess as they were taken out.

Sunshine fell asleep on the couch... LOL I was ready with peanut butter, a muzzle, and BF to restrain if need.

------

Jessica

LOL I feel like I need to have a hive out back to help the bee population out now. I owe the species a lot!

No need to go that far....just remember to plant some bee friendly plants, they will be more than happy!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT