Ernie Got Attacked By A Pit Bull

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

I was walking Ernie this evening when another dog came running around a corner with his leash attached to him and his owner trailing behind. He said 'don't worry he's friendly' and immediately the dog jumped on Ernie and was going for his throat. He was jumping on top of Ernie and lunging at him. I stupidly tried to get in between it because I thought the dog was going to rip Ernie's throat open. I was able to get the pit bull off of Ernie and fell to the ground, the dog came after me but right at that second, the owner got his leash and then ran away! I did not hear Ernie yell or scream during the entire thing.

I immediately checked Ernie's throat, face and eyes to see if he had been bit and checked everywhere for blood and there was nothing. We continued to run a little while (we usually do a 30 min loop at night) and then Ernie kept trying to turn around and go home. We came home and he walked slowly to his bed and starting licking his paw. He has a white blanket and I could see blood. It's on the bottom of his back paw and he must have gotten scraped when the dog pushed him on the ground. It's definitely not a bite mark, it looks like a scrape mark from the sidewalk. When I tried to get a closer look, he barred his teeth and growled at me. I can see it far away with a flashlight and it's not deep at all.

What should I do? He's not crying or limping. I can't get near it to at least clean it and apply some ointment. Should we sleep on it and visit the vet in the morning?

I cannot believe that the guy didn't even ask if we were OK and that he let his obviously aggressive dog walk on a Boston street without holding his leash.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm afraid that Ernie will be defensive towards other dogs or frightened in general.

Very scary.

I am so thankful you are both okay! And very, very lucky to get off so lightly! Very recently, a member of our adoption group was also attacked by a pit bull and she (the greyhound) lost her life. In order to disinfect that foot, I would just toss a muzzle on your boy. For distraction, you could smear peanut butter inside. And maybe you have someone to hold him and talk to him?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Paul never made a sound when he was attacked by the terrier. He sustained at least 30 bites and punctures. What are the chances you would ever see this person again? If you get to look at Ernie's food, you might decide to let it heal by itself. Did you get hurt as well? The guy with the pittie is just a jerk.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Call animal control and make a report - write down everything that you remember including information about the owner. The dog also attacked you so please make sure the ACO knows. Talk to your neighbors and see if they know anything about the dog or the owner.

I would let your dog (and you) calm down before doing anything with the paw.

Hope everything is OK with your dog and with you.

Guest laura150

I can see it and the two bloody spots aren't punctures, they are scrapes and on the surface. They are too high on his foot to get him into the shower for an epsoms salt soak. I might try and distract him with some good treat smothered in peanut butter. He's had small cuts before that we've let heal on their own before. If he's limping or I see swelling in the morning, I'll take him right over to the vet.

I got home and sat down and realized both of the knees of my running pants were torn open and I had blood all over my legs. They are just scrapes as well but everything happened so fast that I didn't even feel it.

I will probably see them again because I know the street the guy was turning down and he had a take out bag so looked like he was coming home from something. I am running down things in my head to say to him if I see him again.

Guest laura150

I really hope so. He so loves other dogs and I don't want him to be fearful or aggressive in order to think he has to defend himself. Has anyone had any experience with this? Houndtime, did your pup's demeanor change at all after being attacked?

Call animal control and make a report - write down everything that you remember including information about the owner. The dog also attacked you so please make sure the ACO knows. Talk to your neighbors and see if they know anything about the dog or the owner.

Make a report as soon as you can.

I agree with calling animal control, for your safety and the next persons. How rude can people be to not even ask if you are ok ? What a TOAD.

Karen

I really hope so. He so loves other dogs and I don't want him to be fearful or aggressive in order to think he has to defend himself. Has anyone had any experience with this? Houndtime, did your pup's demeanor change at all after being attacked?

He survived it better than I did. He has no fear of other dogs. But he is an older dog and very frail. He is just happy when we take him for a walk.

Get pics of Ernie's injuries no matter how small, as well as your own. Call Animal Control and insist on making a report. This won't be the only time that this dog attacks someone, and the report and pictures may come in handy later.

I would go to the vet for a check over so that the medical care is documented should his punctures cause future problems.Not a whole lot might be able to be done this time, but if there's another incident, you want to be prepared with documentation from the first incident.

Hope you and Ernie are feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry this happened. Payton and my lab were recently attacked by a unleashed dog. Both dogs were okay but DD had a broken hand. Both dogs and DD handled much better than I did.

I agree with the others - call animal control ASAP. I can't stand irresponsible pet owners!

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest Scouts_mom

I agree totally with making a report to animal control or the police. That dog attacked both you and your dog and is not safe to be loose. Plus it has an irresponsible owner. Next time the owner may not be able to get to it in time to stop it from biting a person.

Guest laura150

I took pictures of the cuts and will make a report. I'd hate for something to happen to the dog but I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

We just took Ernie on the same loop and he was a little tentative at first but perked up and trotted the second half. He even found some french fries on the ground.

I think I'm more shaken up than Ernie is.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and Ernie. The way the guy high-tailed it out of there makes me wonder if this hasn't happened before with this dog. It sounds like the he got away from the guy when he attacked Ernie. Thankfully it wasn't worse than it was. I just hope it was an honest mistake in that the dog got away and he left because he's afraid of what might happen to his dog if he is cited for another attack. If that is the case I hope he's learned his lesson and is more cautious when he takes him out. Of course that is all speculation and the guy just may be a total jerk.

How scary for both of you, and what a jerk that guy was. Even on a leash a dog is not allowed to hurt other dogs or even cause people to trip or fall.

I suppose he made himself scare out of fear of having his dog taken and destroyed?

Nonetheless, I think you must file a report with those responsible for animal control in your area.

Hope you both get over it soon... it is the nature of these kind of things that they come out of the blue.

I am sorry this happened to you, it's one of the scariest things to occur. I agree with calling AC and making a report, I would also second a vet visit as sometimes a bite has happened and you don't realize it or can't see it on Ernie. As for the guy, well there are words for him and it's unbelievable he ran away. I suggest a drive around where you think he is, not a walk just in case he's stupid enough to have his "friendly" dog loose again.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My vet had me get a bottle of Vetericyn to use on scrapes & small wounds. It does not sting when sprayed on & does a wonderful job of aiding the healing process. Many horse people here use it on their range horses & so it is easy to get in feed stores, TSC carries it. The company makes a salve also & the young man that helped me find it said it can be used humans too. He said some of the assisted living centers use it on anyone that gets small wounds. Sorry this happened to you.

Guest laura150

This morning he seemed really timid and nervous to leave the apartment. We did our regular running route and he stopped at the scene of the crime to sniff and pee. He perked up a little. He seems a little wary of me and I worry that during the scuffle I could have hurt him in some way. I hope he knows I was trying to protect him.

We've given him lots of love and cookies but want him to know that it's his turf and not to be afraid.

I just can't believe we were that lucky to get away from something like that with just a few cuts and scrapes.

Guest laura150

Good advice about not letting him pick up on my nervousness. I'm not scared to see the guy or his dog again, I'll just make sure Ernie is no where close. I just want Ernie to feel comfortable. I just hope acting natural is the way to go. I don't want to coddle him because we live in Dorchester, MA (if anyone watches Boston's Finest, they're always in Dorchester dealing w/bad stuff).

You mentioned the dog's owner was carrying a bag of take-out food. If you can figure out where he got that maybe the restuarant will remember someone with that dog.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest laura150

There are a couple of places around us so I'm not sure which one it was. It was just a brown paper bag.

I'm pretty sure the guy lived on the street that he was walking on. When he got his dog away, he ran another way so I'm wondering if he didn't want me to know where he lived.

Good advice about not letting him pick up on my nervousness. I'm not scared to see the guy or his dog again, I'll just make sure Ernie is no where close. I just want Ernie to feel comfortable. I just hope acting natural is the way to go. I don't want to coddle him because we live in Dorchester, MA (if anyone watches Boston's Finest, they're always in Dorchester dealing w/bad stuff).

I grew up in Dorchester, and my father is still there! We never even locked our doors when I was a kid. Dorchester has become a scary place! Hope you and your dog will be ok.