In Memory Of Kowalla. Nov 27 2005 - August 27 2013

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Where to begin.

Kowalla was my rescue. He was a return, along with his house sister... They fought a bit (the female was very aggressive) and were placed separately. Kowalla was a bit of a special needs, as he has a suspected brain tumor, along with some behavior issues of his own. So he was free. However, never did I feel so rich in my life when we brought him home a few weeks before Christmas of 2008. His racing name was Kowalla, and I loved Koalas so I kept it Kowalla. He was a big big boy, nearing 80lbs with the 'super skinny' thing going on, a lot narrower than any of the other greys I have ever had.

I used to call him lots of other things, mainly "the wild horsebeast" and "velociraptor". He was always just so long and skinny.

First thing he did was bite my first hound, Freeman. Multiple times. Once requiring stitches. However, once we got him on the proper dosage of phenobarbitol to control his seizures - all that behavior evaporated. I was treated with the sweetest dog in the entire world. He was so darn happy, I have yet to see a grey keep the happy like that. Some are happy sometimes, but he was happy all the time. Right until the day he left us. If you glanced at him, that tail just started thumping against wherever he was.

He would jump up and snuggle, give kisses, roo on command and was so eager to do anything. You called him and he came barreling over and would stop right in front of you. He had the worst breath in the world, but he would do the open mouth happy pant when he got nice and close. He was so gentle with his nose; and would take treats so gently.

He would follow me downstairs, hop on the couch and watch me work on my reef aquarium. It was our special date. Freeman would nap upstairs and Kowalla and I would pop downstairs and enjoy the slice of ocean in the basement. He would lay out and sigh and we would just hang out. I had such a deep connection with him; that I don't know if I will ever find with another dog.

I always felt so guilty, because we spent so much time worrying about Freeman (who passed two months prior to Kowalla of bone cancer, need to make a remembrance for him too - but Kowallas birthday is coming up so I have been thinking about him) that we (my husband and I) felt like we missed out on how amazing of a dog Kowalla was.

Then, it's like one day he was healthy and the next he wouldn't eat. Progressed into dark stools, and rapid heartbeat... He was bleeding internally. We kept him comfortable for a few days and tried all kinds of things from the vet... He was dying. This was on August 24th. She did an x-ray... She said to us she could not do anything for him. I told her that my dog just couldn't die on my birthday (Aug 25). She just smiled sad at me, and told me that he might have a few more days... He had a tumor rupture in his stomach and was essentially bleeding out. I said goodbye to the dog that I didn't feel I was finished loving on August 27th. He was only 7 years old.

Even with Chance, I cry for Kowalla and Freeman everyday. I loved those dogs so much. More than a human should ever love a dog; and it's ruined me. I feel like I'm always holding back with Chance.. Because someday he will have to leave too. I know it isn't right...

He was so funny and beautiful, and everything good in the world. I had such a hard time writing this because I did the ugly snot cry the entire time. I don't think it will ever get any easier. I miss him so much.

1229957_10151825374245804_1751579404_n.j

1013099_10151721376865804_114040389_n.jp

1185794_10151817967820804_918837029_n.jp

995980_10151795311265804_777058004_n.jpg

564508_10151796473100804_587382136_n.jpg

944450_10151641098380804_226542784_n.jpg

155189_10151232653975804_1656460340_n.jp

Needless to say I HAD to throw out this chair.. I threw it out the day after he left. It was old, and I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. So much heartbreak. It was his chair.

582269_10150972413000804_1045040563_n.jp

562095_10150832488000804_1168465448_n.jp

Beautiful tribute. It does get easier one day. Not because you forget, but because you heal. Give Chance a big hug. Don't hold back. One day he'll have to leave too, but right now he's here. :):beatheart

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest carriej

Oh there is room for Chance... I love him so much already and I worry about him so much; as losing two hounds so close together makes one a little paranoid. He has brought lots of sunshine back into this house; and he's so funny. Sometimes I just get so down and miss my boys. I wish Chance could have met them :(

Your story touched me so. We lost a little girlie at 7 years old as well and she also bled out. There is not a day that i don't miss her. I am so very sorry for your losses.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a sweet boy he was. A lovely tribute. I am so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

That is a beautiful tribute to beautiful pup. He deserved nothing less and you gave him a wonderful life. I totally understand your feelings and having lost our two boys young (our first Greys), it stuns you into a numb period of life filled with emotion because they are so much of your life. Our two were 8.5yrs and 9.5yrs,one passed due to Osteo and the other died in my arms from likely a blood clot or aneurysm. Now we have Stewie who has helped us heal and we so cherish him and yes, we fear the day he will leave us but it is not the time to think of that. Time heals all wounds they say, true but some wounds run so deep they truly never heal and the pain remains, it just dulls a bit. Hang in there.

Happy B-day Kowalla over the bridge. I hope you have met up with Charlie and Jack.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

What a beautiful tribute and pictures - I'm so sorry Kowalla had to leave you at such a young age. :grouphug

I still miss and grieve for the ones I've lost (including one I lost at 6.5 to bone cancer) even though I have Sunny and Sophie to love now and I love them with all my heart. Knowing that I will lose them one day makes me more determined to love and appreciate them while I can. The older they get (they will be 9 in January) the closer we get and the more I dread losing them, but that just makes each day more precious.

Chance will help your heart to heal.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Such a lovely, but heartbreaking tribute. So many things you said about him resonated with me. Especially this: "I said goodbye to the dog that I didn't feel I was finished loving." Losing a heart dog (and it's so clear that he was yours) is devastating, but almost too much to bear when they are so young, and it is so sudden.

Sending much sympathy, and white light for healing. I'm so sorry you lost our precious Kowalla.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

So very sorry for the loss of your handsome boy.

You have had too much loss in a short period, but times does heal.....

Just remember all the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest carriej

Thanks everyone, it means so much to me that you guys understand!

Even my husband, who LOVED our dogs to the moon (and sobbed with me when they died) seemed to progress much more quickly than I did. He seemed to accept it more than I did... While I obsessed over their loss.

Today was Kowallas Birthday. It was a sad day for me, he would have been 8. I wish I could kiss his nose and smell his stinky dog breath... Which kind of makes me sound crazy but I even miss that lol.

You've had a tough time. I'm very sorry Kowalla had to leave, along with Freeman. I hope in time the memories bring you happiness.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so very sorry. Your precious happy boy left much too soon. I'm glad you told us about him.

Godspeed Kowalla.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)