Darby Wants To Say Hi

Guest GreytAdoration

Guest GreytAdoration

Good Afternoon! My name is Megan and I am the proud 1st time mama to Darby. He's a racing school drop-out but has some super nifty tattoos! He will be 5 on Jan 5th 2014. He's a 70lb blue brindle. He came to us through Greyhound Connection on October 18th 2013.

This boy has truly completed my home! He has the sweetest demeanor, is very calm, and my favorite, very loving! He sleeps with Mom and Dad, cuddles every minute he can, and sleeps as long as we let him. I love his kisses and his puppy dog eyes!

I've researched this breed for well over a year and can finally say that a Grey saved me! I could go on and on about Darby, but will keep this short. I know how much I love pictures, and know from lurking that you all do too! Enjoy, and feel free to ask any questions.

Darby 10 minutes after coming into his new home:

2013-10-18112151_zpsc6823689.jpg

Gettin Comfy:

2013-10-20081246_zps9711e548.jpg

Yea, I think he likes it here:

2013-10-20100631_zps1d1782e1.jpg

Saw this for the first time at 3am the very next morning... finally got a picture of it!

2013-10-25104302_zps10c8c547.jpg

First Fail!

2013-10-27113758_zpscd83318e.jpg

I am so glad these pictures worked!! Thanks to whoever posted the photobucket instructions in the How To forum!!

Edited by GreytAdoration

Guest GreytAdoration

Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome, Darby and I are excited to get to know you!

In light of the season... th_ed8c27a4-d62b-4950-90c5-fb47384d2a10_

"Happy Hound-a-ween!

Edited by GreytAdoration

Welcome to you and to Darby! He's very handsome. Wishing you many happy years together!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Welcome to GT and congratulations on your very handsome boy!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome to GT! :welcome2

Darby is super handsome, and he sounds amazing!! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Congratulations!

He sure has settled in quickly. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest kalzanetti

OMG hes is so handsome, I have a blue brindle female whippet, I wanted her brother as well, but a guy requested him 1st. Welcome to the grey world. I joined it 3 weeks ago and am SO in love, Id like to get another :)

Guest GreytAdoration

Congratulations!

He sure has settled in quickly. :)

He really has. The only thing is when we leave. I've been reading up on SA on these forums. I think it might just be his adjustment period...I think. I taped him when we left for 45 minutes the other day, an and off barking. I am pretty sure this just started because I did some investigating the first week and didn't hear anything until I was on the stairs. I left a note for my neighbor and when I ran into him, he said he wasn't hearing anything. I don't know if yesterday was a bad day, or if something happened during the day that spooked him. The only thing that was really apparent to us was his panting and pacing.

I went to Petco yesterday and got a DAP diffuser, so we will see. We leave the radio on for him everyday. The one thing that I am questioning is that he is only alone for 5 hours max during the week. I don't want to get him on any medications just yet, as of this coming Friday it will have only been 3 full weeks he's been with us. After reading more, I realize that we REALLY need to work on his independence. He is super velcro-y. Honestly, we like it, but didn't realize it probably isn't good for him to be like that, at least not until he's fully settled and adjusted.

I have lots more, and I think I will post a new thread in Behavior and Training, see if I can get some opinions/reality check. I've noticed a lot of the posters are very similar, but Darby only seems to be panting, pacing barking/rooing, nothing else, no accidents, no destruction - which is why I think he's maybe just adjusting.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! We are so happy to finally be a part of this community!

Congrats and welcome to GT Megan! Darby is a beauty!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest GreytAdoration

Darby is a stunning boy.

Have you read some of the threads about Alone Training?

I have...many of them! We are doing much better. It's been a full month now. I did get the DAP diffuser, and I am not sure if that's what did it, or leaving the TV on a music channel as opposed to just a radio. But there is no barking and he is doing great. I think I was just a worried new mommy :) He still hasn't gotten the idea of a Kong, but we are working on it. We just adore him so much. It's like he's always been here. I never imagined he or any grey would come into our home and immediately just 'belong' there. I really want another one, but DH says that we need a bigger place....which I know is baloney because most of the time it's like they aren't there... napping on their bed just happy to be home! I'm working on DH! haha

All the neighbors love him and the local Petco and Kahoots adore him. I love that he has no prey drive, makes life just a little easier with some of the pet stores having rats and rabbits and hamsters in direct eye-level view. He just doesn't care.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome! We will be sure to post more pictures and updates!! :ghplaybow

I can't wait until his 5th bday on Jan 5th!! Gonna be a partay!! :blowcandle:balloonparty