Remembering Ice

Guest freddysmom

Guest freddysmom

Maybe I wrote about Ice before, but today I've been thinking so much about him and feel compelled to write about Ice:

Ice came to us at age 12, a wonderful gentle soul, who had been returned. We couldn't understand why, as he was such a sweet guy. We didn't think we were ready for another dog, just having lost ours a few months before, but when we were asked to foster a 12 year old, we said, no, he comes he stays; and so Ice became ours. perhaps it would be more accurate to say, we became his.

He was mostly deaf, had cataracts, and bad hips. I had to keep a nightlight on for him, because he couldn't see in the dark and it made him nervous. Shortly after coming to our house, he realized he couldn't go all night without a potty break, so I took him out every night about 2am.

At the time, we were doing a lot of caregiving for my 95 year old dad, also, and we would laugh that Ice and dad were the same age with the same health problems. Ice would follow me around the house; it wasn't easy for him, but if I moved from room to room, even for a minute, so would Ice. And, since I retired while he was here, he was my constant companion - i talked to him all day long.

My dad died on Sept. 7th 2012. Four days later, Ice sneezed and broke something loose. He started bleeding profusely. WIth towels and blankets in abundance, we got him to the E-vet. She stopped the bleeding. She said he had a (probably) cancerous tumor behind his sinus cavity. Ice was now 14 years old. Operate? Well, she said they could, but the odds of him getting better were slim. Take him home? Not recommended. He would begin bleeding again, she said, and if we weren't there to catch it right away, he would bleed out in the house. (That would be aweful for us, but somehow I felt it would be worse for Ice. He was a dignified dog, who wouldn't want to make that mess for us).

SO with heavy heart, we let him go. He was a true gentleman to the end. When she put the needle in his arm, he looked at me, (I swear he smiled), sighed, laid his head on my knee and relaxed. Eventually his heart (big as the sun) stopped beating and Ice was free. I miss him still. We only had him about a year and a half, but he's in my heart forever. I guess Dad needed a dog in heaven, I believe they are together, as he loved Ice as we all did.

What a comfort to know that Ice and your father are together. Thank you for sharing your memories.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. Bless you for giving him a wonderful home, even if for a short time. I'm sure he knew he was loved.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

his heart (big as the sun)

I believe yours is just as big. Hugs to you as you remember your beloveds.

Rest well, Ice and freddysmom's dad.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This one really hit me hard as I had a similar experience with my old-lady Great Dane, Tina. I'd had her since a pup and watched her age as the years went by and since Great Danes typically don't live that long, I had to put her down at the age of 9 because of a similar diagnosis (cancerous sinus cavity tumor and numerous nose bleeds). She was my first, and best, Great Dane, and I think of pften and miss her to this day. Rest in peace Ice, and say hi to Tina for me when you happen upon her in your heavenly travels.

Hugs to you for being there for those who needed you. You are very special.

:nod

A lovely tribute to a much loved hound. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Even though he was with you for a short time, it was obviously the best of times. I am sorry he had to leave.

Run free Ice, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.