Shelby Is Probably Going To The Bridge Tomorrow At 11 Am.

I am making the difficult decision to have my Shelby put to sleep tomorrow -- unless I talk myself out of it. She is a 16 year 7 month old 50 pound whippet/lab mix. She has rear leg weakness, along with some urinary and fecal incontinence. She has an accident at least once a day on average. She has fallen and pooped/peed herself 5 times in the last couple of months, always when I am home or at least when I am arriving home. She also poops in her sleep. Yesterday, I came home to find that she had either peed and fallen in it or peed after she had fallen and couldn't get up. It was clear that she was lying in her own filth for some time. She wasn't able to walk without a sling for the rest of the day. She was upset. I called the vet for an in-home euthanasia tomorrow at 11 am. Of course today she is back to normal for her. She doesn't have any illness other than old age. I wouldn't forgive myself if she had to lie in her pee/poop for hours again. But I could stay at home 24/7 until at least next Tuesday. I don't work, so I could stay home except for a few hours several times a week (my normal schedule). But would she really benefit from another week or month? We spent all day cuddling in bed. The only other thing she likes as much is eating. She will be getting a hamburger for dinner tonight.

I just wish it was clearer. If she was always like she was yesterday, I would definitely know to let her go. But today she is very happy....

Jane

Guest IrskasMom

Jane , I am sorry you are in such a difficult Position. Maybe the Signs get clearer by each passing Day . Hugs to you and your Pupper .

I am so sorry. This sounds like what happened to my Mama dog just before I took her in to put her to sleep.

It is never an easy decision. :grouphug

Guest Downtownhoundz

I'm so sorry, it's never easy to decide when it's that time. Most will let you know and I hope your girl does. Hugs to you and to her.

I'm so sorry you are at the point where you feel you have to make this decision. It's never easy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest undergreysspell

It is so hard to make this type of decision with an elderly dog. I had a shep mix that also had the same types of problems your sweetie is having and we had to let go just shy of her 15th birthday. I found that when there are more bad days then good days it's the kindest thing we can do for them. I wish you peace with your decision.

I understand. I just went through this with Jessie, who had kidney disease. I knew she could go on a while longer, but I didn't want to wait until she was miserable all the time.

It's an incredibly difficult decision, and I hope that whatever you choose seems right for you and your girl.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Such a hard decision. I had to do it 5 months ago with my boy Cruz who was in kidney failure. It's never easy. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:bighug such a hard decision. I let my first greyhound go when she started having trouble getting around (she was in kidney failure and had stopped eating). I could have waited another week, maybe, but she hated being helped and I decided to let her go before she became helpless. It was very, very hard.

I am so sorry. That is exactly the horrible position we found ourselves in last November 14th.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest lynne893

My heart goes out to you. Someone helped me make the sad decision by saying "better one day too soon than one day too late" for the animal.

Peace be with you and your little creature.

My thoughts are with you for Shelby's loving and peaceful journey during this most difficult time. You are such a wise and caring mom that I imagine your decision will be whatever Shelby would want while letting go in comfort and with dignity. :grouphug

(I would imagine the timing could be a blessing if it saves Shelby from increased risk of a sudden, painful injury.)

I'm sorry Jane-I know how much you have been doing for Shelby. Sometimes the only thing we have left to give is the gift of allowing them to cross to become whole again. I'll be thinking of you both today.

Jane, I am very sorry. We are going through something similar with our Shelby and it is very difficult when their body fails them but their spirit is willing. There are no words that can help in this type of situation other than I hope her passing is peaceful for both of you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I will share with you one lesson my first broodie Aggie Desperado taught me. I rely heavily on animal communication and one day she explained to Latifa and I that "When the body quits working its time to go" and "What's the big deal about transitioning anyway?". Those were HER words. It is an amazing story in itself how she CONFIRMED this to me but that's for another time. She elaborated that she was suffering and that she realized she was never going to get any better and that there was no good going to happen to her in the future. I have come to realize that what she shared are true gems of wisdom that I will forever be grateful to her for teaching me. They don't look at crossing over the same way we do and I do believe she is right. God bless you and Shelby amid this stressful time and may He envelope you two in love and peace. :grouphug

Thinking of you today.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow