Its Been A Week

Guest borzoix4

Guest borzoix4

Its taken a week for me to be able to talk about the loss of Lindsey January 25th. We are still healing on so many levels and this has been a deep hurt in more ways than one.

Lindsey was also a unique girl- her personality of ' its all about me' at all times- endearing actually until that day. The total diva of the house, alpha bitch, and sometimes moody. She was also a great show dog with that spark of ' its all about me' command of the ring. I swear she honestly thought everyone came to a dog show to see her.

On January 23rd about 230 pm, while Lindsey had been in a snit all day, the events started. Lindsey was laying on the living room love seat facing right, and bam bam was facing right on the sofa. Bam bam in a roach, streatched in her sleep. Lindsey air snapped and growled. I got up from my chair in the dinning room, and came in and told Lindsey to get off the loveseat. She grudgenly complied, but then Benjamin came into the dinning room and Lindsey snapped at him. Then I told her to lay down pointing towards the crib mattress in the dinning room. Lindsey acted offended but complied when one of the pups walked past her as she laid down about 6 feet away, when Lindsey snapped bite at them. ( events happened so fast).

I yelled at Lindsey a stern " lay down" and as lindsey laid back down on the crib mattress, I pointed my finger at her and said something like " stay there".

Within a flash, Lindsey was in my face and bite my nose, bruising my face, and bent etc my glasses.

I was past stunned, shock, and pain. Lindsey walked back to the crib mattress and laid down.

The 24th we had a snow storm but I needed time to think before the vet.

On the 25th we put her down.

She was up to date on vaccines but still the state had to run their tests. I am still bruised, but the puncture is healing.

I am numb.

I am so very, very sorry :( :( having had to do the same thing to our Remy (Pointer, we found as a stray) back in 2005, I know how hard it is. He went after us so many times but it just escalated over the years to severe aggression. We are currently having issues with Larry, which I am NOT happy about, after everything we went through with Rem. And, Rainey bit my ear off but that was different, it was a reaction to me, not "regular" aggression.....

I hope your injuries -- and your heart -- heals soon. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest SueG201

Michelle, we have already spoken of your loss, and a ga in I am so sorry but she could have had brain tumor which caused such extreme agression. Do not beat yourself up, If one of my dogs attacked my face without warning i would probably have done the same thing Hugs

Guest borzoix4

No signs of a brain tumor, and being health tested we knew her thyroid was normal. Also nothing with the pancreas. All I did was tell her to lay down out of her snit that day.

I have never been bitten by one of my own dogs except one time a dog was in pain.

My darling girl... I am stuck from hurt, love, and anger and flat out shock.

In the last week, the stress and tension level out of the house is humbling. The others are so relaxed now. And the silence is deafening.

Its going to take a long time before I find any reason in this. Long pass my physical healing.

My girl went from a companion to an animal in a finger snap.

Jeff is going to change my avatar.

Edited by borzoix4

Guest borzoix4
Michelle, we have already spoken of your loss, and a ga in I am so sorry but she could have had brain tumor which caused such extreme agression. Do not beat yourself up, If one of my dogs attacked my face without warning i would probably have done the same thing Hugs

If she attacked me, the care taker- home all day every day for 4 years, the one that takes her to shows etc- bather etc... my own husband said when he saw my face he was afraid of her.

At only 78 pounds but on her back feet over my head as I am 5'6"- the realization was humbling.

This girl coined the phrase of " turn on a dime and give you 11 cents change' in agility.

I am numb, angry and hurt. You all have been wonderful in support on fb greytalk as you knew . I am just in shock maybe more than I think.

I talked to my Dad today- he was shocked too, but said he would have done the same. He agreed if she felt defensive it would have been my pointed finger from my upright position she would have gone after. The bite was as a mother dog or alpha dog bitting the face of an offender.

If all would do the same, why does it hurt so much?

Edited by borzoix4

I am so very sorry for your loss. Like others, I had to make a similar decision years ago. The poor dog had been abused before he came to me and just couldn't help but bite. I am so sorry you had to make that decision and so sorry you are in pain, both physical and emotional.

No signs of a brain tumor, and being health tested we knew her thyroid was normal. Also nothing with the pancreas. All I did was tell her to lay down out of her snit that day.

I have never been bitten by one of my own dogs except one time a dog was in pain.

My darling girl... I am stuck from hurt, love, and anger and flat out shock.

In the last week, the stress and tension level out of the house is humbling. The others are so relaxed now. And the silence is deafening.

Its going to take a long time before I find any reason in this. Long pass my physical healing.

My girl went from a companion to an animal in a finger snap.

Jeff is going to change my avatar.

after letting Remy go we experienced a whole new level of peace here too, both for us and for the other 2 dogs -- especially our Schipperke Captain, whom Remy attacked multiple times over the year (for no reason). After letting him go I read about something called "Rage Epilepsy", and we're pretty sure that's what he had. :( sending more hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I can only say that I'm so very sorry and that seems so inadequate. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest undergreysspell

I'm so very sorry it came to you losing your beautiful girl. You did what was necessary and I wish your family peace. Godspeed Lindsey.