Giving Paw Whilst Petting And When I Stop

Guest KatyC

Peggy will continuously gives us her paw when she is laying down and we are stroking her when we stop To us it seems like she wants us to carry on and it's her way of telling us that she wants it to continue. But I just wanted to check that this isn't a dominance thing? Does anyone else's grey do this? She doesn't seem like a dominant dog with us at all so I would be surprised.

Also if you stop stroking her and she can't reach you with her paw she will wriggle closer to you and lick you so that she can try and get your attention to stroke her again! It seems very sweet to us! I just wondered if anyone else has similiar experiences :)

Bella does this to us, and will also put her nose under your hand and flip up for neck scritches. It's a "more, Mom!" gesture :) I'm sure people more experienced will weigh in but I don't see it as a dominance thing, just a "I'm enjoying this, don't stop" thing.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

she's enjoying her cuddles...much of what you hear about dominance theory is a myth and has been debunked many times. Peggy just wants you to keep petting her and she's learned that by giving her paw, wiggling clser and licking, you will continue. Seems like a win-win, both of you are trained :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Franny does this all the time. I always feel bad when I have to remove her paw to finally get up. My kids love it when she does that to them.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

You mean like this?

86_gidget.jpg

85_gidget.jpg

:lol

Gidgie does it all the time. "More, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase!" She will also thump her tail wildly, air-snap, and yip at a person. I don't encourage her, exactly, but it is hard not to laugh. She knows the sorrowfully stated, "I'm BUSY, you have to wait."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awww, the paw. Lila does that too and I love it. She is so bad that if she’s laying on her bed across the room and she sees me look at her, she will wave her paw like, “hey you come here and rub my belly.” So I do, spoiled brat. :rolleyes:

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Awww, the paw. Lila does that too and I love it. She is so bad that if she’s laying on her bed across the room and she sees me look at her, she will wave her paw like, “hey you come here and rub my belly.” So I do, spoiled brat. :rolleyes:

:lol Bella does this too - if you walk near her and she wants a belly rub, she'll wave her paw around

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

:lol Gracie does that, too.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It's not a dominance thing, it's a love thing. "Pet me pleasepleaseplease!! I will loveyouforeverifyoukeeppetting ME!!!" :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

she's enjoying her cuddles...much of what you hear about dominance theory is a myth and has been debunked many times. Peggy just wants you to keep petting her and she's learned that by giving her paw, wiggling clser and licking, you will continue. Seems like a win-win, both of you are trained :)

yes indeed! You've been blessed with a cuddle bug. How wonderful!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover
You mean like this?

86_gidget.jpg

85_gidget.jpg

:lol

Gidgie does it all the time. "More, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase!" She will also thump her tail wildly, air-snap, and yip at a person. I don't encourage her, exactly, but it is hard not to laugh. She knows the sorrowfully stated, "I'm BUSY, you have to wait."

Oh how I miss my little foster girl. She's the best Jey!

Totally normal. Not just a greyhound thing. Definitely does not have anything to do with the outdated theory of dominance. Adorably cute!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We call it the "pet me paw." Totally cute. Sometimes if we pretend to ignore it, Diamond will "roach," (all four feet up in the air) to make her tummy more accessible for rubs.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Our boy, Elliott does the paw thing - we have named it "the royal paw" and our girl, Lea, does the wriggle up close and/or flip onto her back thing to signal she wants more pets and lovin - we call her the wiggle worm. Elliott will also come up and nudge me with his snout to get pets or get my attention, while Lea will just come and stand in front of me and look at me longingly when she needs some attention. We think it is all adorable and we love how they have their different ways. :-)

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Don't worry about the whole dominance thing. As others have mentioned, she's just asking for more love. Someone who's obsessed with dominance theory might say that she's being manipulative and that we should only give affection on our terms, not theirs. But IMO, dogs have the right to communicate their desires with us, and it doesn't mean they're trying to take over. Just enjoy your girl and don't let myths interfere with your bond and relationship with her.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack will paw at my hand to get my to pet him, or sometimes just to drag my hand (or sometimes my foot/leg) over so he can cuddle or groom it.

Carly does this too! So cute. :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown