Sleep In Same Room As Dogs?

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

Do your dogs sleep in the room with you, or do they sleep elsewhere? Because DH snores I was sleeping on the sofa. Angie slept downstairs too. Now i have my own bed in the guest room for when he snores. She no longer wants to sleep upstairs. She will eventually will go up, but I practically have to drag her. She is perfectly quiet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same room?? Same bed.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Symphony7

Mine sleep in my room. Desmond (Terrier) sleeps on the bed and on his own bed during the winter, he switches based on how hot he gets. During the summer he sleeps downstairs on the couch because our AC doesn't work very well upstairs.

Achilles (Grey) sleeps on a dogbed next to me.

Yes, our "master" bedroom is really the "family" bedroom. Dogs in their own beds, and the cat in our bed between us.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest starbuck

Starbuck sleeps in her room downstairs. We tried to let her sleep with her bed and blankets in our bedroom, but she made enough noise during the night (head shaking, licking, pacing, twitching, yipping, snoring) that we weren't getting enough restful sleep.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne sleeps where I sleep. If I'm in the bedroom, she's in her crate. If I sleep on the couch, she's either on another couch or curled up with me. When we had a spare bed, she would sleep on it with me.

Guest houndsnmore

We have two small dogs that sleep in the bed with my husband and I, Pepper however has her own bed at the foot of our bed. Queen size bed, 2 ppl, 2 small dogs and a greyhound in that bad ain't gonna happen, lol

Yes, we do...plus I have 2 leashes hanging up on the back of the door just in case there's an emergency and we need to get Ben and Brooke out of the house safely.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Fosters sleep blocked in by the side of the bed. I've found this makes them feel more secure and it prevents them from wandering/having accidents during the night.

Peyton usually sleeps in the living room on one of the sofas and then climbs into bed with us around 4am. This is a perfect arrangement since I can't fall asleep when he's in the bed (he's a bed hog!) but sleep through him getting in. And I love waking up and finding him cuddled up to me. :)

Our current house guest, Agnes, gets free roam. She usually sleeps on the air mattress in the spare bedroom but sometimes she'll join us in the bedroom as we keep a bed down just for her. This morning I woke up surrounded by my pups and that is just the best feeling ever.

I'm the Pied Piper in our house: where I sleep there be the 4 pets. It's very sweet, but also a hassle. Neither of the dogs get on the bed, but when I sleep in the main bedroom, the two cats are plastered to my sides and the two dogs are in the dog beds in the bedroom. When I sleep on the couch, the two cats are on top of me, and the two dogs are on the dog beds in the living room. When I "migrate" in the middle of the night, there's a massive migration with me.

(The few times that Monty is comfortable on his bed in the living room and doesn't want to expend the massive effort to walk 15 feet to the bedroom, the other dog will fuss at both us and him until we call him in. She grumbles and whines at us, and then goes into the living room and barks at him.)

I'm the Pied Piper in our house: where I sleep there be the 4 pets. It's very sweet, but also a hassle. Neither of the dogs get on the bed, but when I sleep in the main bedroom, the two cats are plastered to my sides and the two dogs are in the dog beds in the bedroom. When I sleep on the couch, the two cats are on top of me, and the two dogs are on the dog beds in the living room. When I "migrate" in the middle of the night, there's a massive migration with me.

This is charming.

Hester can only be where I am. Not in the same bed but on his own bed beside me and postioned so he can stare at me. :rolleyes:

Guest Downtownhoundz

Bunny not only sleeps in the same room, he sleeps in my bed with his head on the other pillow. He will let me know around 8:00pm when it's time to come upstairs and go to bed!

Nope. After we stopped blocking off the downstairs at night, James decided he'd rather sleep in his crate in the family/living room. We like it. He used to dig so much at his bed in the bedroom that we never got enough sleep. He knows where to find us if he needs to go out...or eat breakfast. This morning, he trotted upstairs for a bed check...then went back downstairs until the alarm went off.

Annie Bella sleeps on her own bed in my bedroom. She's never shown an interest in getting on the bed and I've never encouraged her. If I get up in the middle of the night and come downstairs because I can't sleep, chances are good she'll stay upstairs because, I assume, she's warm and comfy.

Hammer has his own bed next to ours upstairs in our bedroom. If we fall asleep on the couch, he sleeps in his bed by the couch. Basically, he sleeps wherever we are.

We have always kept our dogs in our bedroom - for security and just because they seemed to want to anyway. The only exceptions have been when a couple got so elderly and weak they couldn't make it up/down the stairs. They were content to spend the night on a dog bed in the living room.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm in a similar situation to you. I have moved downstairs because of my DH's abominable snoring - I don't sleep well at the best of times and if he goes to sleep before me, I can't sleep. If I wake and he's snoring I can't get back to sleep, EVER.

So now the dogs want to be able to sleep with me, even though one or the other will sometimes elect to sleep somewhere else ... I kind of like them there. At the same time I don't really want them there because I'm asthmatic and like to keep the dander out of the room where I sleep because it all contributes to the dust mite population. However ... the dogs have got used to the option of sleeping with me and now don't like being shut out.

To be honest, I don't care enough to work on the problem. And as I said, I'm ambivalent anyway, because I like having them there. :blush:

I haven't noticed any training or behaviour problems though, if that was your question. They jostle for my attention anyway, and haven't got worse.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Annie Bella sleeps on her own bed in my bedroom. She's never shown an interest in getting on the bed and I've never encouraged her. If I get up in the middle of the night and come downstairs because I can't sleep, chances are good she'll stay upstairs because, I assume, she's warm and comfy.

This is the same thing with Franny.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

The dogs have a bed on either side of our QS bed. There is sometimes some competition for the bed on my side, but generally, Paige claims it and sleeps there through the night., Brandi will join me in bed to start with and spoons up to me, cuddling me with her paws and using DHs pillow, till DH arrives. He then spends 10 minutes prying Brandi off the bed and onto her own bed. Ata bout 4.00, Brandi rejoins us on the bed and snuggles up until Paige wakes up and decides to greet the dawn by snuffling in my face and farting.