Osteo Thread Part Vi

Ace and Pinky were best friends (playmates in the yard), and Ace and Fritz were littermates. Pinky and Fritz shared space quite a bit too. My little gang, together again over the Bridge...

Ace was just not quite the same after we lost Pinky in November, and then for her to lose Fritz in May it just sent her into a tailspin :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Krissy, I didn't know you lost Ace too. I am so sorry. :( :( You've lost so many this year :( sending hugs. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yep, not to osteo but to disc issues in her back. She ruptured one on the 4th of July and couldn't walk :( We highly suspect there were others bulging and deflated. We attempted prednisone and pain killers but they had no effect, so we set her free on the 5th.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Ace and Pinky were best friends (playmates in the yard), and Ace and Fritz were littermates. Pinky and Fritz shared space quite a bit too. My little gang, together again over the Bridge...

Ace was just not quite the same after we lost Pinky in November, and then for her to lose Fritz in May it just sent her into a tailspin :(

I am so sorry for your losses. :( They sound like quite the trio.

Lana's meeting with the surgeon went well this morning. We were pleased that she already knew about aminocaproic acid and postoperative bleeding in greyhounds. In fact, she had us start Lana on both aminocaproic acid and gabapentin this noon. (Starting gabapentin the day before surgery and continuing it for a week after surgery may help reduce the likelihood of phantom limb pain.)

We'll take Lana back tomorrow at 6:15am to be prepped by anesthesiology. Lana's surgery will be sometime tomorrow morning. The surgeon said to plan on Lana spending at least two nights in the critical care unit. She advised against us visiting Lana the day of surgery, but we're welcome to visit the day after. She also encouraged us to bring Lana's food with us tomorrow.

Lana is taking a well-deserved nap right now. :sleepy

best of luck to you and your lana, victor.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

I will be thinking of you and Lana tomorrow, Victor. I wasn't able to get much done waiting for the call from Dr. Less to tell me Pinky was out of surgery. Since she was admitted they had me remove her velvet tag collar. I wore it around my bicep area the entire time she was away from the house. I only put it down to take a shower or to change my clothes. That next afternoon when I went in to pick her up, she walked out to the waiting room and other than bending down to give her head a kiss, the first thing I did was put her collar back on her where it belonged. :heart

Pinky did (even with the amicar) have some bleeding post-op that Dr. Less was just not totally comfortable with. It wasn't out of control insane or anything but he just wanted to nip it in the bud right away. He called OSU and spoke to Dr. Marin who suggested giving her some platelets. So we did that and that improved the situation.

Side story: My mom's big boy Sunny is a blood donor at our Animal Emergency Center here. It was a comforting thought that because of dogs like Sunny who donate, dogs in need like Pinky are able to receive the blood products that they need :)

best of luck to you and your lana, victor.

Thanks, Steve. I hope Katie is continuing to do well.

I will be thinking of you and Lana tomorrow, Victor. I wasn't able to get much done waiting for the call from Dr. Less to tell me Pinky was out of surgery. Since she was admitted they had me remove her velvet tag collar. I wore it around my bicep area the entire time she was away from the house. I only put it down to take a shower or to change my clothes. That next afternoon when I went in to pick her up, she walked out to the waiting room and other than bending down to give her head a kiss, the first thing I did was put her collar back on her where it belonged. :heart

Pinky did (even with the amicar) have some bleeding post-op that Dr. Less was just not totally comfortable with. It wasn't out of control insane or anything but he just wanted to nip it in the bud right away. He called OSU and spoke to Dr. Marin who suggested giving her some platelets. So we did that and that improved the situation.

Side story: My mom's big boy Sunny is a blood donor at our Animal Emergency Center here. It was a comforting thought that because of dogs like Sunny who donate, dogs in need like Pinky are able to receive the blood products that they need :)

Thanks, Kristin. I know tomorrow will be nerve-racking for us, too. That was a nice way to keep Pinky next to you during her surgery. Hopefully Lana won't need the platelets, but it's good to know that that's an option. Is Sunny a grey, too?

Yep! All 85 lbs. of him. He's Mom's big marshmallow :)

387710137_zps2ee2252b.jpg

Kristin, I am so, so sorry about Ace. I didn't know, either. Cully told me she was having a hard time, but I just didn't realize it would progress so quickly. You and your pups have gone through far too much in way too short a time.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Good thoughts for Lana today! We're all pulling for her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yep! All 85 lbs. of him. He's Mom's big marshmallow :)

What a handsome boy! Our Duke is also about 85 pounds:

5540119608_a452da3653.jpg

Good thoughts for Lana today! We're all pulling for her.

Thanks, Charlies_Dad!

Checking for updates on Lana---prayers with them today!

Thanks, Teri!

We dropped Lana off at 7am. Her surgery was pushed back a bit because they had to do heart surgery on another dog. Lana's surgery will be later this morning or possibly early afternoon. I'll post an update as soon as we hear from the surgeon.

:yay

:yay for Lana! Hope all goes well in recovery.

Thanks, greysmom!

:yay

Thanks, Kristen!

Lana's surgery today took almost four hours. Fortunately, she seems to be recovering well. She even managed to stand in her kennel in the critical care unit to get into a more comfortable position. Hopefully she'll continue to do well through the night and into tomorrow. They'll call us tomorrow morning with an update and then later in the day we should be able to see her for a little bit.

It's great to hear that Lana's surgery went well. Isn't it amazing that they manage to get up on their own like that right away?

Looking forward to continued great updates!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Pinky's surgery took about that long...she still had LOTS of muscle in that thigh and it takes a long time to separate it properly.

So glad she is doing well!!

It's great to hear that Lana's surgery went well. Isn't it amazing that they manage to get up on their own like that right away?

Looking forward to continued great updates!

Thanks, Wendy! It truly is amazing. I hope her recovery continues at this rapid pace! :)

Pinky's surgery took about that long...she still had LOTS of muscle in that thigh and it takes a long time to separate it properly.

So glad she is doing well!!

Thanks, Kristin! That's what the surgeon said too. Each muscle, nerve, and blood vessel has to be accounted for. Still, by hour three we were really starting to get worried!

Understandable :nod Waiting for that phone call was very tough.

Great news that Lana's surgery went well!!! Hope the healing is as smooth.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest fastcasper

Hi All,

Update on Casper. He had his sutures removed yesterday and his first round of chemo. OSU pulled through and had the chemo there 15 min before his appt. His liver numbers are mildly elevated (they think due to all his pain meds), so he only got a "gentle" chemo treatment today. They didn't want to blast his liver out. He came home with more meds but mostly for the liver and chemo (aftermath). Casper, I think, is having phantom pains at night. He doesn't pant during the day and rest peacefully, but at night he really starts to pant and I give him his pain meds then...poor guy. I petted him to sleep last night. He was wiped out from the day at the vets.

Since he wasn't lame going into the surgery, I think he has had some more adjustments then what I read here. The clinic is pleased with his progress, but he is still not super active (it's been 10 day post op now). I know he will feel better soon.

Sounds like Lana is doing well as is Katie!!! Way to go gals!!!