Osteo Thread Part Vi

Popping in hoping to catch some updates today. I think of you all every day!

:yay Casper!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bozicj

Jumping in on this thread :(

My 9-year-old girl Python was diagnosed officially about two weeks ago (although we've suspected since early May). She had her amputation for the osteo in her right shoulder on Tuesday and I brought her and her bright pink compression bandage home yesterday. Other than being a little "out of it" due to the drugs she seems to be adapting fairly well (can walk on carpet and/or grass where she has traction).

We're doing chemo starting in about 10 days since we're participating in a research study at the University of Minnesota.

Questions for those gurus on this thread: Did anyone get an assistance harness for their hound post amputation and have issues with it slipping to one side or the other? I keep having to re-center it since there aren't two legs in the front anymore to keep it "in place". Also, any other comments on what specifically to expect the first two weeks post-amp would be GREYT!

I'm reading thru the thread but it's gonna take me a while to catch up, so sorry if I am re-asking questions that are in there already.

I didn't have a front leg amp dog but I DO recall someone fairly recently saying that they DID in fact have an issue with keeping the assistance harness centered...

So sorry you've joined our club :( But VERY glad that she is doing well! :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Yes, harnesses are tough with the front amp because there's no anchor with the missing leg.

Here are a few videos of Berkeley post-amp -

Three days post-surgery:

And then two months post (and giving me a heart attack):

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Casper is suture-less :mexi2 ! Glad they gave him a lighter dose of chemo, and I hope his values stay where they belong! I wonder if his panting starts at night just his previous round of meds is starting to wear off?

Aww, Berkeley videos make me smile!

Bozicj - I'm sorry you and Python are going through this! Wow! home just 2 days post-amp - it sounds like she is doing great! If you start back at about page 35, you should see a lot of posts about what to expect post-amp, we've had an awful lot of new "members" here lately, and you'll probably find much of the info you're looking for.

As for the harness, I tried a regular harness with Twiggy (front-left amp), and it just slid around, plus I felt like she would be able to slip out of it. The only one I've seen that I think might stay on is the spook harness from Majestic Collars - it has an extra loop that goes around their tuck, I still think it would slip around, though. For what it's worth, nothing stays on well, coats, jammies, etc. all won't stay in place.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

There used to be someone that made special shirts, jammies, and coats for front leg tripods....not sure if they are still doing that or not...

:wub: Berkeley :wub:

Where's the one where he's spinning around on his bed really fast with a toy?

We visited Lana at the hospital today. She had quite a bit of postoperative bruising, even though she's on aminocaproic acid. Her left hindlimb was also quite swollen. While we were there, we massaged Lana's hindlimb and that seemed to help. The surgeon didn't seem to think the bruising and swelling were out of the ordinary for 21 hours postop.

Lana didn't seem to be in pain, but she was pretty out of it from the Fentanyl patch. When we saw her she was still refusing to eat and drink, so they were giving her fluids by IV. Her red blood cell count was lower than pre-surgery, but it had improved from earlier in the day. This morning they started her on an oral antibiotic.

It was hard seeing Lana so weak.

img_0722.jpg?w=600

Edited by Victor

Victor, I was emailing you as you were posting here!

I think she looks about like what I would expect. Keeping in mind that her amputation took the entire hind leg and that there is no stump, I think her bruising and edema might be more like what you usually see in a front-leg amp (where they remove the entire leg and the scapula).

P1010586.jpg

Here is a picture (about 8 days post amp) of Twiggy. Lots of bruising and some edema in her belly area still.

Bruising especially will continue to get worse before it gets better.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Cottage Hound Designs makes special tripod coats

http://www.cottagehounddesigns.com/HTM/tripod.htm

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Victor what you're seeing is almost identical to Pinky. The puffiness in that leg took a week or so to finally go away. I did massage it and keep it elevated when possible to encourage the fluid to be reabsorbed by her body. She liked alternating cold packs and warm moist heat (I have one of those fabric bags that has rice inside of it that you put in the microwave).

It did take Pinky about 24 hours after surgery before she was interested in eating. I sent some canned food to the hospital with her that was the wet food version of her kibble (taste of the wild pacific stream) and she did eat that the next day after her surgery before I took her home.

I think the lady that has the "Houndtime" website also will make tripod coats and pj's. Irene, I think is her name?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There used to be someone that made special shirts, jammies, and coats for front leg tripods....not sure if they are still doing that or not...

:wub: Berkeley :wub:

Where's the one where he's spinning around on his bed really fast with a toy?

This one?

For post-op stuff, Berkeley had no wrap and had quite a bit of swelling and bruising - it was all normal. I'd say it was mostly resolved in probably ~2 weeks or so, about the time the staples were set to come out. We did warm compresses 3x a day.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

There is so much going on in this thread right now - too much if you ask me. I am glad though all the pups are doing okay.

For Casper's mom, I agree with Wendy, perhaps his pain meds are wearing off by then? Charlie used to do that a little until we got the timing just right. As for his activity level, remember every pup is different and will recuperate at their own pace. In time you will see him back to normal.

I am sorry to read of Python's diagnosis and am happy she made it through surgery well. There is a lot that will happen now that she is home and usually it's us that have a harder time then them. Biggest thing is to make sure you stay ahead on the pain meds, i.e. don't let the pain spike. Keep an area in the house open for her to walk around when/if she wants to. Put something down on any slippery floors as they are going to fall, that's a guarantee but if you can prevent multiple falls especially so soon after amp, that is important. Watch for any signs of infection such as red irritation around the wound site, this needs to be addressed by a vet ASAP if it occurs. Panting can be a sign of pain and/or the pain meds she is on. The Fentanyl patch if she has one can do this and so can Tramadol.

Victor, Lana looks great in my opinion. Similar to our Charlie when we first saw him although he was walking when they brought him in. He was completely out of it on drugs and the bruising was nasty but that soon goes away. Don't worry, she will come around and as the pain meds are reduced, your girl will be back!

Those videos of Berkeley, they bring tears to my eyes. I love tripods, they so an endearing spirit that us humans can only hope to have.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yeah Emma must've been that one, although, I remembered him spinning and spinning a whole bunch on his bed with that big stuffed dog. I might just be insane though :P

In any case, I loved his spirit...such a cool dude!

Victor, the weakness is likely more just the fact that she's doped up and hasn't eaten. It'll totally get better from here :)

Victor, I was emailing you as you were posting here!

I think she looks about like what I would expect. Keeping in mind that her amputation took the entire hind leg and that there is no stump, I think her bruising and edema might be more like what you usually see in a front-leg amp (where they remove the entire leg and the scapula).

Here is a picture (about 8 days post amp) of Twiggy. Lots of bruising and some edema in her belly area still.

Bruising especially will continue to get worse before it gets better.

Thanks, Wendy. That's reassuring. By the way, that was nice of your cat to take care of Twiggy. :)

Victor what you're seeing is almost identical to Pinky. The puffiness in that leg took a week or so to finally go away. I did massage it and keep it elevated when possible to encourage the fluid to be reabsorbed by her body. She liked alternating cold packs and warm moist heat (I have one of those fabric bags that has rice inside of it that you put in the microwave).

It did take Pinky about 24 hours after surgery before she was interested in eating. I sent some canned food to the hospital with her that was the wet food version of her kibble (taste of the wild pacific stream) and she did eat that the next day after her surgery before I took her home.

[T]he weakness is likely more just the fact that she's doped up and hasn't eaten. It'll totally get better from here :)

Thanks, Kristin. That's a good idea to keep the leg elevated in addition to massaging it. The surgeon said that once Lana's incision area is better we can use warm compresses on her leg to reduce swelling and cold on the incision to reduce inflammation. I bet you're right about the weakness. I know I'd be weak if I hadn't eaten in two days, not to mention undergoing surgery!

For post-op stuff, Berkeley had no wrap and had quite a bit of swelling and bruising - it was all normal. I'd say it was mostly resolved in probably ~2 weeks or so, about the time the staples were set to come out. We did warm compresses 3x a day.

Thanks, BauersMom. It's good to hear that what Lana is experiencing is normal.

Victor, Lana looks great in my opinion. Similar to our Charlie when we first saw him although he was walking when they brought him in. He was completely out of it on drugs and the bruising was nasty but that soon goes away. Don't worry, she will come around and as the pain meds are reduced, your girl will be back!

Thanks, Charlies_Dad!

We just got a call from the vet. Lana is doing much better this morning. Her blood values are back to normal, and she even ate breakfast! They said she's like a different dog today. If she continues to do well during the day, they're going to discharge her at 4:30pm. Fingers crossed!
Edited by Victor

Guest bozicj

Python update: She's been "crying" pretty much non-stop since yesterday but I'm not sure if it's pain or anxiety. Seems to get a little better if we sit on the floor with her and pet her but not always. She still has her fentanol patch but I started giving her Tramadol again last night to see if that would help her (seemed to a little bit but not completely if the crying is pain). But I'm going to see the vet again in an hour to get her bandage changed (the hubby let her lick like crazy while I was at work yesterday... le sigh) so I'll talk to hiim about pain management too.

Also, an idea that I found online that might help others: I have slippery floors in the kitchen and living room areas of my house and didn't plan enough rugs so Python didn't have enough traction at first. But then I remembered I had some of those blue rubber booties (I think they're called Paws) and that is working GREAT. The only thing she won't do still is stairs but we'll get there I know.

Thank you everyone for the support!

:yay Lana!

Pinky always would whine when she wanted me to help her up to go outside at first. I knew when she sat up and got restless and whiny that she had to potty or wanted water.

Python update: She's been "crying" pretty much non-stop since yesterday but I'm not sure if it's pain or anxiety. Seems to get a little better if we sit on the floor with her and pet her but not always. She still has her fentanol patch but I started giving her Tramadol again last night to see if that would help her (seemed to a little bit but not completely if the crying is pain). But I'm going to see the vet again in an hour to get her bandage changed (the hubby let her lick like crazy while I was at work yesterday... le sigh) so I'll talk to hiim about pain management too.

Also, an idea that I found online that might help others: I have slippery floors in the kitchen and living room areas of my house and didn't plan enough rugs so Python didn't have enough traction at first. But then I remembered I had some of those blue rubber booties (I think they're called Paws) and that is working GREAT. The only thing she won't do still is stairs but we'll get there I know.

Poor Python. Tramadol makes Lana anxious, so it could be that. I think I read elsewhere that they'll sometimes give a prescription for Xanax to help ease the anxiety.

Putting rubber booties on their paws if they have to deal with slipper surfaces sounds like a great idea. Thanks for mentioning it!

:yay Lana!

Pinky always would whine when she wanted me to help her up to go outside at first. I knew when she sat up and got restless and whiny that she had to potty or wanted water.

Thanks, Kristin! :)

That's good to know. I hope Lana will do something similar. To be safe we bought a bunch of underpads to put on her bed.

Edited by Victor

Phython's mom, it could be 'phantom pain'. This does sometimes occur with pups who had amps and you should discuss with your vet. I hope you are able to get a protocol that works for her. Sometimes they just want you to be with them as they are a little confused as to why they only have three legs so it could also be a 'sympathy whine'.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

As someone mentioned, the Fentanyl patch could also be causing her anxiety. You might talk with you vet about removing it and going with oral meds instead.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Python update: She's been "crying" pretty much non-stop since yesterday but I'm not sure if it's pain or anxiety. Seems to get a little better if we sit on the floor with her and pet her but not always. She still has her fentanol patch but I started giving her Tramadol again last night to see if that would help her (seemed to a little bit but not completely if the crying is pain).

fentanyl is known to make dogs more vocal -- much more than torbutrol if your dog has had torb before. katie was like that for the first night or so after her amp.

btw, katie's biopsy report arrived yesterday and showed no metastasis in her lymph node. we're very pleased about that.

had blood pulled this morning to verify that she can get her first chemo treatment on monday.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Sometimes too I just think that they might be slightly confused about their situation and want the comfort of their family. It is a bit of an adjustment to learn to get around in this different way, and they're seeking your support and enouragement to let them know that it's going to be okay. :)

Under other circumstances they'd probably just get up and come over to you but because they're still mustering the strength and clarity of mind through the pain meds to do that, it's just easier to make you come to them!

The Pawz booties are a great idea!

I agree that Python could be whining both because of the meds. I also think amputations are really confusing for dogs at first. Humans *usually* have advance notice about major surgery, but our hounds go to sleep and wake up, try to stand and WHOA! there's no leg there!! That would scare the crap out of me! I imagine it must be hard to remember for a while too.

We picked up Lana from the vet today. She was able to hop to meet us, but she tired out quickly. When we got home we tried to get her to eat or drink something, but she'd only lick a little bit of baby food. Since then she's mostly just slept.

As expected, her bruising is worse today than it was yesterday. The swelling in her remaining back leg is also worse. We propped her leg up on a pillow, which seems to be helping some.

img_0736.jpg?w=500

I'm glad to hear that Lana is home!

Right now, sleeping is what she really needs to do. (But eat a little more, OK Lana?) This is going to be a tough road for all of you for at least the first week, and it still won't be quite back to normal for several more weeks after that.

If she doesn't start at least drinking a bit of water, you may want to try to syringe a bit over her tongue to stimulate her to drink some. Since she isn't on iv fluids any more, you do want to be sure she is staying hydrated.