Osteo Thread Part Vi

I wish I had an answer about Lana's panting. Any chance it has to do with the storms rolling in?

Here's a few teaser shots of Twiggy's beach day last weekend. I'll do a separate thread in EEG or C&F.

Fortunately Lana doesn't mind storms. Interestingly, Duke doesn't either. I guess we're lucky on that front!

Twiggy looks WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing these photos. She is such an inspiration!

I think you said she's on codeine and gabapentin. How much of each?

Lately Lana's been on gabapentin (200mg) twice a day and acetaminophen/codeine (30mg) four times a day. Yesterday we added 114mg Previcox (an NSAID that's supposed to be easier on the stomach/intestines) once a day.

Lana was panting and restless again last night, so today we're going to see how shes does without the acetaminophen/codeine. So far so good...

Lana: Is she on anxiety meds *only* for her surgery or is she on a maintenance dose for overall anxiety treatment?? I have actually never heard of giving it post-surgery - though it makes some sense - and don't think most of us here have done this (though I could be wrong - we didn't do it for our boy and didn't feel it was really necessary). Also, our surgeon had us discontinue his codeine shortly after coming home and transition to tramadol as an oral pain med. The codeine only made him kind of loopy, and didn't help his pain very much. Tramadol and Gabapentin have proved to be a very effective combination for relieving post-surgical pain, along with an nsaid (though I think you said the nsaid upset her tummy?).

Unfortunately she's on fluoxetine for overall anxiety. She's always been an anxious pup, but her anxiety started getting out of hand last August/September. By December she was having full blown panic attacks and exhibiting OCD behaviors. In retrospect, I wonder if that was when her osteosarcoma was developing and we just didn't know it yet.

The fluoxetine has worked wonders for Lana's anxiety and OCD. Unfortunately, it seems to interact with all the opioid pain meds (tramadol, fentanyl, possibly even codeine). That's good to know that the codeine wasn't helpful for your pup. It's quite possible the codeine is just making things worse for Lana without significantly reducing her pain.

My question would also be does Lana NEED the fluoxetine? Had she been on it prior to surgery with good results? If the answer is no to both, I think I would work toward getting her off of it and off of the codeine and transition her to tramadol and gabapentin (and maybe try Deramaxx instead of Rimadyl-far less tummy upset from Deramaxx in my personal experiences).

I can't remember the timeline post-surgery that Pinky ceased all pain meds, probably 2-3 weeks out. Pretty much once her staples were out, she was off of everything.

Lana looks great-so glad that swelling went away quickly. I'm certain it had much to do with you providing her that great setup where she could have her leg elevated in the perfect position for re-absorbing that fluid :nod

That's a good question, Kristin. Before her surgery she definitely needed the fluoxetine. However, if the pain from the osteosarcoma was part of the reason for her anxiety, perhaps she won't need the fluoxetine now? I suppose we could try reducing her fluoxetine and see how she does.

If I had known that the fluoxetine would interfere with Lana's postop pain management, I would've tried to wean her off it before her surgery... :(

Thanks, Kristin! I like to think the pillow helped! :)

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tempo has reached the point in this recovery where it is time to cautiously come up with a hopefully long-term strategy. today was his 5th carboplatin treatment. as per the evolving course of previous treatments, he has, as of this treatment, shown zero side effects. in fact, this time he wasnt even tired, and demanded to go out and play fetch just hours after we got back from the vet. in any event, next month, if all is still well, he will have his sixth chemo, but he will also have his second chest x-ray. if his lungs are clear, i need to come settle on a plan going forward. the two options i am aware of are the metronomic chemo protocol, artemisinin, and/or a potential combination of the two. i am fairly certain that i want to continue with the oral chemo dosage, but the lack of meaningful data for any of these post-chemo treatments is worrisome, and makes me feel like we'll perhaps just be flailing around in the dark.

I think deciding on a metronomic protocol was the hardest part of this process for me. There's a lot less long-term data out there on protocols, and so many different protocols. And the last I heard, OSU is no longer recommending a metronomic protocol post-iv chemo, just artemisinin (100mg once a day). Other oncologists (including Twiggy's) still do recommend various metronomic protocols.

We did the protocol that OSU (at the time) recommended: Palladia 3 days/week, cytoxan 3 days/week, Metacam every day, and artemisinin every day. We had to stop those bit by bit due to intolerance, until Twiggy was left with just the artemisinin.

I would talk to your oncologist, see what he/she feels comfortable with, and go with that. Then, if there are signs of intolerance to one or another of the components, you can adjust timing dosages, or eliminate components entirely to get the best quality of life. I would encourage you to use the artemisinin no matter what, though - I don't know of anyone who has had any side effects at the 100mg/day level. A lot of oncologists aren't familiar with it, but hopefully yours will agree to using it.

P.S. Tomorrow will be two months since Gunner left us. His spirit has been here all morning. I actually thought I heard him in the kitchen with me today as I made Dawson's breakfast. I had to remind myself he wouldn't be standing there when I turned around yet that's how real the feeling was. I'm happy and sad about it. Happy he's nearby yet sad he's gone from the physical form. I sill miss my little man. :sad1

I am sure it still must be terribly difficult. How nice of him to keep sending you signs to let you know he is OK.

Hugs to you :grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I think deciding on a metronomic protocol was the hardest part of this process for me. There's a lot less long-term data out there on protocols, and so many different protocols. And the last I heard, OSU is no longer recommending a metronomic protocol post-iv chemo, just artemisinin (100mg once a day). Other oncologists (including Twiggy's) still do recommend various metronomic protocols.

We did the protocol that OSU (at the time) recommended: Palladia 3 days/week, cytoxan 3 days/week, Metacam every day, and artemisinin every day. We had to stop those bit by bit due to intolerance, until Twiggy was left with just the artemisinin.

Wendy, when did you start Twiggy on artemisinin? Also, I remember you saying that Twiggy's chemo was delayed by her infection. Do you recall how many days post amputation it was before Twiggy started her chemo?

Our oncologist said it's our call as to whether or not we put Lana on a metronomic protocol, but if we do we should start it the day of Lana's first carboplatin treatment. The drugs to consider for Lana are:

• "Low dose cyclophosphamide (also called Cytoxan): In traditional chemotherapy protocols, cyclophosphamide is used at a high pulse dose with a 3-week rest period. In the metronomic setting, cyclophosphamide is used at low doses (1/20* of the pulse dose) every day or every other day, continuously."
  • "Piroxicam (also called feldene): This non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (aspirin like) is used at a normal dose and may have antitumor activity in addition to its anti-inflammatory or antiarthritic properties."

Since OSU no longer recommends a metronomic protocol, we're leaning against the Cytoxan. (Also, I remember reading that joejoesmom said the metronomic protocol with Palladia made Joe depressed.) We're more inclined to put Lana on the Piroxicam, as long as it doesn't cause too much GI upset. And of course the artemisinin.

Has anyone tried giving their dogs fish oil and arginine during chemo? From "Osteosarcoma and Your Greyhound":

"Some professionals believe that supplementing the diet with a purified form of DHA (a long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid) can help augment radiation or chemotherapy. A study published in 2000 showed dogs with stage III lymphoma fed a diet supplemented with fish oil and arginine had a longer disease free interval and survival time then dogs fed the same diet without arginine or fish oil (2)."

whoa, your oncologist recommended the metronomic protocol of drugs to be given simultaneously with the main chemo? this is something i've never heard.

basically every source i look to provides different information, sometimes radically so. the lack of data, coupled with the wildly varying standards of care for pets, as opposed to people, makes me fear that all this stuff may not be any more effective than just throwing up my hands and seeing what happens. i can pick plan a, because someone had great success in one case with their dog, or i can pick plan b, because someone else had success with that. or i can mix them and match them, or try some various herbs and supplements. i feel like i'm stuck in a labyrinth of anecdotal evidence.

whoa, your oncologist recommended the metronomic protocol of drugs to be given simultaneously with the main chemo? this is something i've never heard.

From what I understand the idea is that the metronomic therapy inhibits the growth of tumors and makes it more likely that the full-dose chemotherapy can eradicate the existing cancerous cells.

Also, depending on what's included in the metronomic therapy, it can (hypothetically) boost the patient's immune system, which is suppressed by standard chemotherapy. I think this is the rationale for including Piroxicam.

Here are two excerpts from a handout our oncologist provided that may be of interest:

"This type of chemotherapy has received a great deal of discussion and has been the subject of much research in the past decade. Results have been mixed and in many cases its effectiveness is still an area of controversy. Metronomic chemotherapy is primarily reserved for cases where cancer has spread (metastasized) significantly in the patient and more curative or traditional chemotherapies are unlikely to have positive activity. It may also be used in patients where the primary cancer has been effectively removed but the likelihood of future recurrence or spread is high based on the specific cancer being treated." (emphasis mine)

"The exact way (mechanisms of action) that metronomic chemotherapy may work is currently not well understood, however there is some evidence to suggest that it may act by one or several of the following possible ways: (1) Attacking or preventing new blood vessels that form to provide oxygen and nutrients to a growing tumor - so called 'antiangiogenic' therapy; (2) Attacking normal cells (so-called 'stromal cells') that feed or support the growing cancer cells; (3) Inhibiting a type of immune system cell (called a 'regulatory' T-cell) that helps the cancer avoid the patient's immune system - this immune- modulatory effect may help the patients immune system fight the cancer more naturally; and (4) Possible direct anti-cancer effects against the cancer cell"

Sorry to keep adding to this post, but here's another piece that may be of interest: NSAID Treatment in Cancer Patients: Are All NSAIDs Equal? (1/5/2012)

Edited by Victor

I have two bottles of Artemix (one unopened, one opened, but with more than 30 capsules) and also an unopened bottle of Butyrex. I'd be more than happy to send them to anyone who needs them.

We're home now. I'll post Symbra's remembrance thread tomorrow - I just can't do it tonight - but I realize I didn't mention in my earlier post that we think her right front leg broke, either on one of our hikes that day, or in the camper... we don't know because she was so stoic. We didn't do x-rays or anything; it was just clear later in the evening that she was in pain and holding her leg at an odd angle and trying not to put weight on it, so we called around to find an on-call vet who was available at that time of night and able to release her from her pain.

Oh, and she is home with us - the vet hospital had her ashes back on Wednesday for us to pick up.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Victor, I am extremely surprised to hear that your oncologist is recommending a metronomic protocol simultaneously with iv chemo.

I suppose if you are not using an oral chemotherapy drug as part of the protocol, that would probably not cause too many issues; but I would be very, very hesitant (truthfully, I'd probably run away as fast as possible) to go along with an oral chemo at the same time as iv chemo.

IV chemo can cause very low blood counts, and so can Palladia and cytoxan. I am not aware of any studies that predict the effect of the oral drugs combined with the iv chemo. Not to mention the significant side effects that each of these drugs can and often do cause, particularly GI effects. Because they are dogs, they often soldier on while side effects are building, and then when they finally let us see that they are having a hard time, it can be fairly bad. Even just an NSAID (piroxicam, Metacam, etc.) can cause serious side effects (as the Metacam did for Twiggy).

According to OSU, artemisinin is not to be started until after iv chemo has been completed (and artemisinin is not known to have any side effects at the 100mg/day level). I believe they feel that the arte and chemo may not play well together.

Twiggy started her iv chemo exactly 1 month post-amp, so it was delayed by exactly 2 weeks. We did not start the artemisinin until after she completed her iv chemo (I believe we waited 2-3 weeks after the last treatment, to be sure that the side effects of the carboplatin would be mostly diminished)

As you are all seeing, there are many different thoughts about metronomic protocols, and this is what makes it so incredibly difficult. There isn't a lot of data about most of the various protocols, that is why I decided to keep things relatively simple, and go with what OSU was recommending at the time (they were a couple years into a study involving the protocol at that time).

Not that anyone asked, but if I were starting this all over again knowing what I know now, I would definitely do artemisinin, add the fish oil (I've forgotten to mention that she was getting this - I had to discontinue it because her system wouldn't tolerate it at some point during her treatments), and I'd probably still do the cytoxan, Metacam, and (maybe, but on a lower dose) Palladia, but I would be much more sensitive to any sign of side effects and discontinue the drugs as soon as any appeared.

I've said this before, I "fired" the oncologist who administered Twiggy's iv chemo. There were some differences of opinion along the way, but the big thing was that they sent her home from her last treatment with a very severe physical reaction, didn't tell me about the extent of it, and pretended that I was making up symptoms when I called them about the symptoms (her urine looked like pure blood, and later in the day like dark, strong brewed tea - and her stool was indistinguishable from her urine; she definitely needed treatment, but they refused to acknowledge it, they just said that I must be mistaken about what I was seeing). So, I guess the important thing to me is that I am on the same page with the oncologist who is treating my dog. In retrospect, I wish I had sought out Twiggy's current onco when I just had some minor differences of opinion with the first one. Maybe Twiggy could have been spared the bad incident if I had.

Sorry all, I wrote another novel here!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Victor, I am extremely surprised to hear that your oncologist is recommending a metronomic protocol simultaneously with iv chemo.

I suppose if you are not using an oral chemotherapy drug as part of the protocol, that would probably not cause too many issues; but I would be very, very hesitant (truthfully, I'd probably run away as fast as possible) to go along with an oral chemo at the same time as iv chemo.

IV chemo can cause very low blood counts, and so can Palladia and cytoxan. I am not aware of any studies that predict the effect of the oral drugs combined with the iv chemo. Not to mention the significant side effects that each of these drugs can and often do cause, particularly GI effects. Because they are dogs, they often soldier on while side effects are building, and then when they finally let us see that they are having a hard time, it can be fairly bad. Even just an NSAID (piroxicam, Metacam, etc.) can cause serious side effects (as the Metacam did for Twiggy).

According to OSU, artemisinin is not to be started until after iv chemo has been completed (and artemisinin is not known to have any side effects at the 100mg/day level). I believe they feel that the arte and chemo may not play well together.

Twiggy started her iv chemo exactly 1 month post-amp, so it was delayed by exactly 2 weeks. We did not start the artemisinin until after she completed her iv chemo (I believe we waited 2-3 weeks after the last treatment, to be sure that the side effects of the carboplatin would be mostly diminished)

As you are all seeing, there are many different thoughts about metronomic protocols, and this is what makes it so incredibly difficult. There isn't a lot of data about most of the various protocols, that is why I decided to keep things relatively simple, and go with what OSU was recommending at the time (they were a couple years into a study involving the protocol at that time).

Not that anyone asked, but if I were starting this all over again knowing what I know now, I would definitely do artemisinin, add the fish oil (I've forgotten to mention that she was getting this - I had to discontinue it because her system wouldn't tolerate it at some point during her treatments), and I'd probably still do the cytoxan, Metacam, and (maybe, but on a lower dose) Palladia, but I would be much more sensitive to any sign of side effects and discontinue the drugs as soon as any appeared.

I've said this before, I "fired" the oncologist who administered Twiggy's iv chemo. There were some differences of opinion along the way, but the big thing was that they sent her home from her last treatment with a very severe physical reaction, didn't tell me about the extent of it, and pretended that I was making up symptoms when I called them about the symptoms (her urine looked like pure blood, and later in the day like dark, strong brewed tea - and her stool was indistinguishable from her urine; she definitely needed treatment, but they refused to acknowledge it, they just said that I must be mistaken about what I was seeing). So, I guess the important thing to me is that I am on the same page with the oncologist who is treating my dog. In retrospect, I wish I had sought out Twiggy's current onco when I just had some minor differences of opinion with the first one. Maybe Twiggy could have been spared the bad incident if I had.

Thanks for all this information, Wendy! I agree that oral chemo at the same time as traditional chemo sounds risky. I don't think our oncologist was actually recommending it. If I remember correctly, he said that studies have shown that metronomic therapy after chemotherapy isn't helpful (similar to what OSU is saying), so now research is being done on metronomic therapy concurrent to chemotherapy. Thus if we wanted to give metronomic therapy a try, he thought we should try something that had a chance of working as opposed to something that had already been shown not to work. He didn't seem too keen on it either way, though.

If there were studies showing that oral chemo with traditional chemo helped, we'd probably give it a try. But given the risk and the possibility that it may not be beneficial, I think we're going to skip it. We may try supplementing chemotherapy with an NSAID, depending on how Lana tolerates the chemotherapy and this new NSAID she's on right now (Previcox). We'll also continue mixing fish oil into Lana's food (she absolutely loves the taste!) and giving her a daily probiotic (she's a big fan of ProStora). After she finishes chemo, we'll also start her on 100mg/day of artemisinin.

I'm so sorry that Twiggy had to go through that. Thank goodness you found a better oncologist for her!

We're home now. I'll post Symbra's remembrance thread tomorrow - I just can't do it tonight - but I realize I didn't mention in my earlier post that we think her right front leg broke, either on one of our hikes that day, or in the camper... we don't know because she was so stoic. We didn't do x-rays or anything; it was just clear later in the evening that she was in pain and holding her leg at an odd angle and trying not to put weight on it, so we called around to find an on-call vet who was available at that time of night and able to release her from her pain.

Oh, and she is home with us - the vet hospital had her ashes back on Wednesday for us to pick up.

:sad1:grouphug:sad1 I'm glad you have her back with you.

Victor, your explanation makes a lot more sense to me. I still don't think I'd want to try that, myself - having seen how suddenly bad side effects can pop up even when using the drugs separately, but that is just me. On the discharge papers from one of the places she was treated, there was a statement that <5% of dogs have significant side effects, so maybe most dogs wouldn't have problems with the combined therapy.

Your plan of the NSAID + fish oil sounds to me like a reasonable compromise to try. I think it is even harder now to make a decision, because 1.5 years ago when I was trying to make these decisions, at least there was consensus among most oncologists that some sort of post-iv chemo metronomic protocol was the way to go. Now, you have some oncologists still recommending one (including Twiggy's current oncologist), others saying none at all!

Guest bozicj

Good news for Python! Her Dr said her infection has gotten to the point where it's all healthy tissue, now we just have to wait for it to start contracting itself so we can close the wound. Fortunately she's been switched to a non-adhesive bandage so no more daily sedation/bandage changes/debridement.

I have to admit, since we've been dealing with so many infection complications I've kind of forgotten we're dealing with bone cancer. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. On the one hand, I've stopped focusing on the inevitable fact that we'll have to say goodbye to her way sooner than normal. On the other hand maybe I'm not doing myself any favors by "forgetting" about that...

I'm really happy that she doesn't have to deal with that every day though. Her surgeon has been so great, answering emails, etc. as I freak out about whether something is "normal" or not during this process.

Guest bozicj

Been trying to figure out how to post a picture of my girl for 2 days.... Been though the help forums which haven't really helped. Any pointers appreciated.

Edited by bozicj

Good news for Python! Her Dr said her infection has gotten to the point where it's all healthy tissue, now we just have to wait for it to start contracting itself so we can close the wound. Fortunately she's been switched to a non-adhesive bandage so no more daily sedation/bandage changes/debridement.

That's great news! Go Python! :balloonparty

Been trying to figure out how to post a picture of my girl for 2 days.... Been though the help forums which haven't really helped. Any pointers appreciated.

I wasn't able to figure it out either. What I ended up doing was uploading the photo elsewhere and then using the "Image" icon to paste a link to the image. Perhaps one of the more experienced GT users could share the secret with us? :whisper

Edited by Victor

I think you may need more forum posts before you can add photos. But if you put the photo online elsewhere, you can include a link in your post here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The photo needs to be uploaded to a "hosting" site like Photobucket or Flickr. The - for Photobucket - copy the IMG code and paste it into a reply box here. You don't have to use any of the "link" shortcuts in the editing bar, just paste away right in the reply (at least with Photobucket).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Info for all the gabapentin users:

My latest bottle of gabapentin from the pharmacy has an additional sticker (which I've only just noticed) that says "Do Not Take Antacids Within 2 Hours of Taking This Medicine."

Apparently, taking compounds containing aluminum or magnesium can inhibit the amount of gabapentin a patient's body absorbs. For people taking gabapentin to prevent seizures, this can be a big deal. (See WebMD info here.)

A form of magnesium is one of the four common ingredients in antacids. There is magnesium in Tums, in Pepcid, and in Prilosec (which Sam takes for his ulcer).

Sam takes gabapentin four times a day for pain. If I've got to get his Prilosec 2 hours away from those pill/meal times to make sure he's getting gabapentin's full pain relief, I'll have to start setting an extra alarm. Those of you using gabapentin to control pain and antacids to control stomach upsets may want to adjust your schedules.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sam takes gabapentin four times a day for pain. If I've got to get his Prilosec 2 hours away from those pill/meal times to make sure he's getting gabapentin's full pain relief, I'll have to start setting an extra alarm. Those of you using gabapentin to control pain and antacids to control stomach upsets may want to adjust your schedules.

Oh no, you and Sam aren't going to get enough uninterrupted sleep! Has Sam's pain been well controlled the way you've been giving him his gabapentin and Prilosec to date? If so, maybe it doesn't matter that his first dose of gabapentin isn't 100% effective?

Edited by Victor

Overnight is Sam's longest stretch between meds, and I'm not 100% sure he's still comfortable in the morning. He pants a lot--mostly from heat, I think, but sometimes it may be pain. He wakes me in the morning, but usually behaves as if getting outside to pee is his main concern. (He's 13, and he's got spinal arthritis, LS-like back-end issues, and LP. He was taking Meloxicam for three months, then he grew an ulcer. Ulcer is pretty much gone, but I still give him Prilosec daily.)

I work from home and I don't get up at a predictable hour; I often have errands or things going on during the day, but my evenings are usually quiet and predictable. I think what I'll do is just give Sam his regular dose of pain pills at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. After dinner, I'll set an alarm to go off in two hours, then give him his Prilosec, then set the alarm for another two hours. He can have bedtime meds any time after that second alarm.

We've just had dinner, and the alarm is set.

Guest Taras

As of today Treetop and I are members of this club. It is on the outside of the rib cage just behind his front shoulder. Taking it out is not a option. He has already survived mast cell on the same side. And we have had almost 3extra years. The plan is to control it with meds and diet. Lungs are clear as of july 5th xray. He will be 13 this fall.

Kathy, Thank you for the gabapentin info! I will have to file that away for future use. I think I was probably giving gabapentin and prilosec as the same time at some point, it would have been good to know.

Tara, I am so sorry to have to welcome you into our club. I'm sorry that Treetop's tumor is in an inoperable location. Even if you wouldn't have chosen surgery anyway, it is tough to not have the option.

Treetop is obviously a fighter, I hope you have a great deal of good time left together. The clear lungs, of course, are great news!

I'd love to hear more about your boy!

i took katie in to the vet's this morning to pull blood for a CBC (which came back just fine). we got a weight on her, and she's 53.5#. she's gained two pounds since her first chemo last monday, and up one pound when we weighed her last friday. so that's pretty good, considering the quirks that she's shown as far as eating is concerned. we'd like to add a few more pounds but not exceed the 61# she weighed at the time of amputation. while we don't want her to gain too much weight too quickly, we also don't want her to lose weight since she's finicky and chemo has done a number on her appetite.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Tara, I am very sorry Treetop has been diagnosed. We are all here for you and will send good thoughts to your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest bozicj

Here's my girl Python

Python.jpg

i took katie in to the vet's this morning to pull blood for a CBC (which came back just fine). we got a weight on her, and she's 53.5#. she's gained two pounds since her first chemo last monday, and up one pound when we weighed her last friday. so that's pretty good, considering the quirks that she's shown as far as eating is concerned. we'd like to add a few more pounds but not exceed the 61# she weighed at the time of amputation. while we don't want her to gain too much weight too quickly, we also don't want her to lose weight since she's finicky and chemo has done a number on her appetite.

Had the vet weigh Python when we went in on Sunday. She's down to 45 pounds! I definitely need her to put some of that back on... she was pretty consistently 55 lb pre-amp.

It's been a while so I am just catching up on everyone. Sending everyone hugs and strength from me and my girls.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

As of today Treetop and I are members of this club. It is on the outside of the rib cage just behind his front shoulder. Taking it out is not a option. He has already survived mast cell on the same side. And we have had almost 3extra years. The plan is to control it with meds and diet. Lungs are clear as of july 5th xray. He will be 13 this fall.

Sorry to hear about Treetop. That's wonderful that he beat the mast cell. What meds to you plan to use?

Have you tried adding fish oil to Katie's food? It's worked wonders with Lana. We buy Grizzly Pollock Oil from Amazon. (We used to buy Grizzly Salmon Oil, but we haven't been able to find that lately.)

Here's my girl Python

Had the vet weigh Python when we went in on Sunday. She's down to 45 pounds! I definitely need her to put some of that back on... she was pretty consistently 55 lb pre-amp.

Oh, she's a cutie! Hi, Python! :wave