Osteo Thread Part Vi

Guest fastcasper

Casper jumped up on my bed this evening while I was at work. Should I help him down? Lift him or guide him with the sling? I have someone coming tomorrow to shorten by bedframe legs. He is going to cut off about 6 inches, making the bed lower so Casper has an easier time getting up.

kim

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got back from euthanizing Symbra.

We are camping in the Adirondacks this week; I will write a proper rememberance post when we get back home.

Oh Deanna, I'm so sorry to read this. She looked amazing when I saw you guys at GIG. I'm so glad I got to see her one last time. She's always reminded me of Neyla. :wub: I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest bozicj

Really not happy with how much weight Python has lost. I think the daily sedation is not helping that either. Can we be done with this horrible infection aleeady?

Guest fastcasper

Casper was 74 pre amp and post amp was 64 (surgeon says front limb is 6-7 lbs), then he lost 1.7 lbs after his first chemo round (1 week). Poor thing is 62.3 lbs. They gave him appetite meds and he is eating good. Though he didn't get an infection, all those pain meds and antibotics made him sick.

Hang in there, Python will re-gain weight. It's tough to see them so skinny. :(

kim

If your pups will tolerate it, Pinky did well having 4% fat small curd cottage cheese added to her meals. Good source of protein. Two BIG spoonfuls mixed into her kibble at each meal.

She also enjoyed veggies, and the Longevity powder from Springtime Inc. She was a little weird though - I had to be sure she never got ahold of the jar of Longevity because she would just EAT it. She followed me into the kitchen once and I thought she just wanted to sniff it, so, I held the jar down for her to sniff. She started licking it :blink

Don't use the Longevity if your pup is on prednisone - it has MSM in it and those things don't play nice together.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We also gave Charlie cottage cheese with flax oil and something else at bedtime - he loved it! He did lose weight when the amp was done of course but we were lucky, he was a chow hound and really never stopped eating. The Chemo made him turn his nose up at some things, e.g. bananas, but he quickly got over that. What are you feeding Python now? Or perhaps better to ask, what is he willing to eat? There are several ways to get some weight back on him.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest bozicj

She is eating a lamb/rice kibble. I've been adding sone of the freshpet refrigerated food in too. She was only ~55 lb to begin with so she has always been petite.

She is eating a lamb/rice kibble. I've been adding sone of the freshpet refrigerated food in too. She was only ~55 lb to begin with so she has always been petite.

Lana hasn't had much of an appetite since her surgery either. One thing that seems to help is to start by giving her a small jar of baby food (chicken & gravy, beef & gravy, or turkey & gravy). Once she's had that she'll eat pieces of baked skinless chicken breast mixed with small chunks of canned EN or i/d. (She's been having diarrhea, too -- thus the special canned food.)

Hope Python's infection gets better soon!

The last several days Lana has been alternately restless, panting excessively, and nauseous. It got to the point where neither she nor we were getting much sleep. Initially we and the vet thought it was due to pain, so we adjusted her pain meds and replaced her fentanyl patch, but that just made it worse.

Turns out fentanyl interacts with fluoxetine, the medicine Lana takes for anxiety. This can lead to serotonin syndrome, with symptoms such as:

• "Altered mental state (confusion, depression, or hyperactivity)
  • Difficulty walking
  • Trembling and seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Rapid breathing (tachypnea)
  • Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
  • Increased body temperature (hyperthermia)"

When we realized this we removed the fentanyl patch, and sure enough Lana calmed down. She even ended up sleeping through the night! Now she's just on gabapentin and acetaminophene/codeine for pain control. (The vet had us discontinue Lana's rimadyl due to GI upset.)

On the plus side, her incision is continuing to heal:

img_0968.jpg?w=600

I'm a little worried about the dark purple areas, but the vet seems to think it's healing okay.

Edited by Victor

we weighed katie at the hospital an hour ago. she's gained a pound since chemo was given last monday. her hips are much less visible. we'd like to have her gain several more pounds but not up to the 62# she weighed before surgery.

we're a bit amazed that after eating about a cup of dry kibble this AM she also ate a can of A/D (by licking the spoon and eating out of a bowl) after we got home. so far so good.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest fastcasper

I found that Casper really likes Vanilla flavor Ensure drink mix. I diluted it with some water and he kept lapping that stuff up!!! Baby food was good for some meals and then he turned his nose up at it. I think he is putting on some weight and his energy is much better (thank God).

Fingers crossed that he continues his good eating, I'm going to try to not give him his appetite stimulant meds tomorrow.

kim

When my guys are unhappy with their food, I dribble some vanilla Ensure on the kibble. They lick all the Ensure out of the bowl, then lick the "contaminated" kibble, then actually eat the kibble.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

For those with smaller females / front leg amp, Twiggy was 58.5 pre-amp, and I maintain her at 53.5 post-amp, so a 5 lb loss for the leg. Fortunately, she is a food monster so I haven't had trouble getting her to eat (she even ate in the hospital).

She did look quite gaunt, however, for the first few weeks post-amp. The surgery just took a physical toll on her for a while.

Your girls (and Casper, too!) should start bouncing back weight-wise before long.

Twiggy had her 23-month post-amp anniversary last Tuesday! I grilled her a steak and some carrots, and got some watermelon for her for dessert. Last weekend we had another nice outing at the big dog beach - I'll try to upload some photos in a separate thread later. She had a blast, and the photos show it!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Twiggy had her 23-month post-amp anniversary last Tuesday! I grilled her a steak and some carrots, and got some watermelon for her for dessert. Last weekend we had another nice outing at the big dog beach - I'll try to upload some photos in a separate thread later. She had a blast, and the photos show it!

Yay, Twiggy! :yay Keep up the good work!

Victor there are areas that were probably more bruised than others, so, I wouldn't worry much about the remaining purpleness.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Victor there are areas that were probably more bruised than others, so, I wouldn't worry much about the remaining purpleness.

Yes!

I meant to mention this. Lana actually looks fantastic to me, I'd consider that virtually no bruising at all!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Yeah she's healed up VERY quickly...how's the swelling in her remaining back leg?

Yes!

I meant to mention this. Lana actually looks fantastic to me, I'd consider that virtually no bruising at all!

Thanks, Wendy! That's good to hear!

Yeah she's healed up VERY quickly...how's the swelling in her remaining back leg?

Thanks, Kristin! The swelling in her remaining back leg is essentially gone!

I just wish we could get a handle on this excessive panting/restlessness thing. She did so well after we removed the fentanyl patch that I thought we had it solved. Then late this afternoon she started doing it again. Maybe it's still due to the fluoxetine/fentanyl interaction? I just hope it's not pain that we don't have under control. Or anxiety. Like our vet is so fond of saying, if only Lana could talk!

I wish I had an answer about Lana's panting. Any chance it has to do with the storms rolling in?

Here's a few teaser shots of Twiggy's beach day last weekend. I'll do a separate thread in EEG or C&F.

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

d2694639-19db-42c7-9241-710c5a486356.jpg

I just wish we could get a handle on this excessive panting/restlessness thing. She did so well after we removed the fentanyl patch that I thought we had it solved. Then late this afternoon she started doing it again. Maybe it's still due to the fluoxetine/fentanyl interaction? I just hope it's not pain that we don't have under control. Or anxiety. Like our vet is so fond of saying, if only Lana could talk!

I think you said she's on codeine and gabapentin. How much of each?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

those photos of twiggy are astounding, as usual.

tempo has reached the point in this recovery where it is time to cautiously come up with a hopefully long-term strategy. today was his 5th carboplatin treatment. as per the evolving course of previous treatments, he has, as of this treatment, shown zero side effects. in fact, this time he wasnt even tired, and demanded to go out and play fetch just hours after we got back from the vet. in any event, next month, if all is still well, he will have his sixth chemo, but he will also have his second chest x-ray. if his lungs are clear, i need to come settle on a plan going forward. the two options i am aware of are the metronomic chemo protocol, artemisinin, and/or a potential combination of the two. i am fairly certain that i want to continue with the oral chemo dosage, but the lack of meaningful data for any of these post-chemo treatments is worrisome, and makes me feel like we'll perhaps just be flailing around in the dark.

:yay:yay :TWIGGY! :yay:yay

Lana: Is she on anxiety meds *only* for her surgery or is she on a maintenance dose for overall anxiety treatment?? I have actually never heard of giving it post-surgery - though it makes some sense - and don't think most of us here have done this (though I could be wrong - we didn't do it for our boy and didn't feel it was really necessary). Also, our surgeon had us discontinue his codeine shortly after coming home and transition to tramadol as an oral pain med. The codeine only made him kind of loopy, and didn't help his pain very much. Tramadol and Gabapentin have proved to be a very effective combination for relieving post-surgical pain, along with an nsaid (though I think you said the nsaid upset her tummy?).

Tempo: Most of us have done some version of the metronomic protocol as outlined by Dr Couto at OSU for long-term care following amp and IV chemo. There are some studies that they have done. Hopefully JoeJoes Mom or Neylas Mom will chime in with actual data. :D

Katie: :confetti:confetti:confetti

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My question would also be does Lana NEED the fluoxetine? Had she been on it prior to surgery with good results? If the answer is no to both, I think I would work toward getting her off of it and off of the codeine and transition her to tramadol and gabapentin (and maybe try Deramaxx instead of Rimadyl-far less tummy upset from Deramaxx in my personal experiences).

I can't remember the timeline post-surgery that Pinky ceased all pain meds, probably 2-3 weeks out. Pretty much once her staples were out, she was off of everything.

Lana looks great-so glad that swelling went away quickly. I'm certain it had much to do with you providing her that great setup where she could have her leg elevated in the perfect position for re-absorbing that fluid :nod

Guest FawnFan

Hi Everyone - I'm so glad to hear all of the amp pups are doing well!

And I just have to say, after looking at some of these pics, I'm not sure I could have gone through an amp with Gunner (and I know the pics I've seen aren't that bad either). I'm feeling a little queasy right now so I'm thinking I might have been a hot-mess in the beginning (I had a hard time with a thoracic surgery pup post-op and I couldn't see what was removed). So hats off to everyone who has been courageous enough to go through this experience with your hounds. I'm sending lots of healing prayers your way and a few extra hugs for both you and your hounds. You all are amazing in my book. :bow2

Twiggy's pictures are wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing those!

And the pictures of Katie are always so beautiful. She is a gorgeous hound and I'm so happy to see her happy. Thanks for sharing these too.

Wishing everyone, and their hounds, in this club a great weekend! :waveusaflag

P.S. Tomorrow will be two months since Gunner left us. His spirit has been here all morning. I actually thought I heard him in the kitchen with me today as I made Dawson's breakfast. I had to remind myself he wouldn't be standing there when I turned around yet that's how real the feeling was. I'm happy and sad about it. Happy he's nearby yet sad he's gone from the physical form. I sill miss my little man. :sad1

Here's a pic of him in his younger years when he was with his first Mom...

8016b660-da62-42ca-9c4e-a464914e8777.jpg