Osteo Thread Part Vi

I hope this is a good sign. This thread had fallen all the way to page three!

Good thoughts for all our babies..............................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yat420

I just now saw this. I'm sorry you are going through this too with Rita. Buddy and I are right there with you. It's hard to make decisions, so get all your options and opinions from as many as you need to. :hug

Guest taylorsmom

Thanks so much to all who post here. The support is much appreciated and much needed today. As I am sure others can relate, there are good days and bad days dealing with this disease. Today is just a bad day, more from an emotional perspective than anything else. Rita is doing well, has just had her third radiation treatment and next week will be her last radiation and second pamidronate IV. She seems just a touch slowed down, but otherwise completely normal. No limping whatsoever, and she is only on a daily dose of piroxicam (I did get bottles of Tramadol and Gabapentin to have on hand, thanks to recommendations here). It is 3 weeks as of yesterday that I saw the golf-ball sized lump on Rita's left shoulder. We have since gotten a second opinion from UPenn and have also done the online consultation at OSU. We meet with our oncologist on June 25th, and I hope to start chemotherapy at that point. I got a little advice from OSU, but I have to admit it was not as helpful as I had expected--not sure what I expected, really, maybe some kind of miracle!!

My question here is for people who have tried arteminisin. I was hoping to add that to the arsenal and asked OSU for some guidelines. They said it shouldn't be given with other treatments like chemo as it is unknown how it will interact. I am not sure yet what the chemo protocol will look like, but I was wondering what people here have done in terms of starting arteminisin--did you wait until all other treatments were "done"? Is chemo ever done or does it continue indefinitely? What kind of side effects should I expect?

I am also going to join Circle of Grey and the Arteminisin groups on Yahoo to ask these questions and more, but for the moment my Yahoo ID and password have totally escaped my memory!! Gah. Has anyone else temporarily lost their minds whilst going through this with their pups??

Thanks for listening, and hugs for all on this thread going through this!

Nancy and Rita

Unless something has changed, you definitely are NOT supposed to give artemisinin while doing radiation and there's a period of time you want to wait in between although my memory is fuzzy at this point on whether it's stop the arte before you start radiation or wait to start the arte after you finish radiation. But, basically if you plan to continue ongoing radiation treatments, artemisinin isn't an option. I don't believe there are hard and fast rules regarding chemo and arte, but most people just wait since most who use chemo are also doing an amp and the chemo is finite (4-6 treatments generally).

The artemisinin yahoo group is a wonderful resource. I think your best bet is to go there for up to date information.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Nancy, I know that when Twiggy was going through her initial treatments, OSU did not recommend starting artemisinin until she was finished with IV chemo. Then, they recommended it along with the oral chemo in their metronomic protocol.

Two things are different here: Twiggy's situation was post-amp, so I don't know whether their recommendations would have been different for chemo without amp; and OSU no longer recommends oral chemo (Palladia, cytoxan) or even an nsaid as part of a metronomic protocol. They now only recommend using artemisinin post-iv chemo. Again, I don't know whether their recommendation would be different without amp.

I think your plan to join Circle of Grey and the Artemisinin group is a good one. There are probably more people there who have made a similar treatment course.

As to whether chemo is ever done, that depends on what type you are talking about. IV chemo is usually planned for 4-6 treatments ideally 3 weeks apart. I know one oncologist who then likes to wait a year and if the dog is still alive, repeat the process. (This is for post-amp patients, and personally, I don't think her recommendation is a good one - she is the oncologist I "fired"). For oncologists who recommend oral chemo (usually Palladia and/or cytoxan), the plan is to give it for life, unless serious side effects occur. For Twiggy, she was on Palladia for about 3-4 months before she developed life-threatening side effects, and cytoxan for about 6 months. Many others have had limited side effects and were able to stay on the drugs for the rest of their lives, although usually with some Palladia "holidays"

I'd be interested to hear what treatment course you decide on!

Kisses to Rita!.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest Jchallis87

hi guys. my name is jenny. I hate that im on here but here I am. Im new to the site because I was told you guys are a great resource for osteosarcomas. My 8 year old Blitz has been diagnosed this weekend with rear right leg OSM and I don't know what to do. ive ben all over the internet at talked to a bunch of people and one minute im sure im gonna take the leg and the next I feel like I should just keep her comfortable. I haven't met anyone who has had a rear leg amputation. the vet says he didn't see anything in her chest XRAY so I thought taking the leg might be the best and we can fight the cancer but I had a woman tell me it doesn't matter she will have mets in her lungs even if you cant see them and that turned me right back around to not taking her leg. I just ned some advice from those of you who have gone through this. not only is she my first greyhound ever shes also my first dog so im not handling this well at all and I ned some comfort and advice because I cant stop crying and its keeping me up at night

Edited by Jchallis87

hi jenny! although we are sorry we meet you here, you are welcome and will make great friends on gt. you've found the right place - lots of SUPPORT, understanding, friends and advice here -- you will find that there is no "right" way to do this - many different paths to take and there is no right or wrong -- it's all about you and blitz and what's right for you - so on this thread you will find all sorts that have made all different decisions each right for them - so it's great information! this is actually the part VI - so there are multiple "threads" of peeps going thru osteo with their doggies. the original thread started 2 years ago when 7 of our doggies were diagnosed in the same week and we needed support. I have lost 2 to osteo - rivie's was on her rib, and win's in his back leg - both not operable - so I was "lucky" that I didn't have as many decisions to make.,..... win had a bum leg from racing days, and the osteo was in the other "good" leg - so he would not have been able to walk w/amputation. so I don't have any advice for you -- just lots of hugs to you and blitz. be sure and read page 1 of this thread - there is a lot of info just in the first post!

Edited by teri_d

I'm so sorry you're having to join us here. Please know that we've all had to go through what you're going through right now, sometimes multiple times. It's never, ever easy.

As Teri said, each decision is an individual one for you and your dog. There are some things that you can keep in mind though. Once osteo has been definitively diagnosed in a limb, it probably has already spread throughout the body in microscopic metastasiis (sp?). Amputation is NOT a curative treatment. It's specifically for pain management, as osteo can be *extremely* painful as it progresses, and to prevent a leg fracture (if diagnosed prior to a break). Most dogs adapt very well and very easily to being a tripod, but you do need to keep the personality of your dog in mind if you're thinking of this option. Is she physically capable of getting around on the three legs she will have remaining? Is she comfortable at the vet, since she will going there at least once a week for several months with follow-up chemo and check-ups. Is your living situation and home adequate to the needs of a tripod (no excessive stairs - though they can do stairs once they re-learn how, easy access to outside for pottying, etc). And of course, the cost is a factor. Palliative care is much cheaper, the trade-off being you will likely not have her around as long. Amputation with follow-up IV chemo is expensive (for us - initial hospitalization after a leg break and amp with f/u medical care $5000; chemo, pills, f/u testing for four months @$3000) but you can gain many months with her.

Unfortunately, no matter which way you decide to go, there's no guarantees about how much time you get. Our boy had his surgery in Feb 2011, did well, and we lost him the next October. Another dog here (Twiggy :wub: ) had her surgery about the same time with about the same f/u treatment, and is still going strong.

There's no right choice and no wrong choice, just *your* choice. It's probably one of the hardest things you will ever have to do. Keep the well-being of your girl in mind, and know she will love you no matter what.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi Jenny. We met yesterday at Woofstock. I'm glad you found this site. You'll receive lots of good advice in additional to what's already been written.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest yat420

I'm so sorry that you are going through this too Jenny! You have gotten great advice so far. There are many of us that have gone down this path, and quite a few that are going through it right now (myself included). There are so many decisions to make and you are so emotional that it makes it harder to try and make a rational decision. Meet with an oncologist, then take a moment to breathe and consider all the options available, don't feel like you have to give an answer immediately. I don't think that there is any wrong choice, it just has to be what is best for you and Blitz. I chose not to have the amputation, and Buddy is going through palliative radiation. Let me know if you have any questions. :bighug

Guest Jchallis87

shes in very high spirits and shes pretty much only using the one back leg right now (shes also still healing from the biopsy). every now and then she uses the other for support but i think she would fair well as a 3 legged houndie. her bone biopsy said it was a low grade osteosarcoma and I know theres probably traces all over the body but all her other scans and her chest xray came up negative. ive sent her scans, her biopsy and her wellness chart to the vet in ohio to see what he recommends. ive been mulling it over for the past week. she wasn't limping until she tore her acl at the end of may and when we did the xray to see if she was a candidate for knee surgery that's when we found it. its coming at a hard time because my mom was diagnosed with breast/lymph cancer in march so im seeing what chemo is doing to her and im not so keen on doing that to blitz but if the vet in ohio thinks shes a good candidate for the amputation im strongly considering it. I haven't been told about palliative radiation im not sure what that is if someone could explain that would be great. id like to get all the information I can. and yes robin I found it :) im glad I found it thank you so much for all your help at woofstock. my living situation is that my backyard has no stairs which has been handy she can just go right outside and we have an open concept house which allows for a lot of movement on our main floor. there are 10 stairs to get up to the bedrooms and she likes to sleep with us but I have no problems carrying her if I need to, im a paramedic I carry humans all the time so a 60 lb greyhound is nothing and im willing to do anything. im hoping for the best that if shes a good candidate I can get many more years from her I know I might be stretching it there but she was adopted off the track at 5 years old and she just turned 8 last week on the day of her diagnosis so I haven't had enough time with her. shes my first grey and my first dog...this hurts so much. ill keep you posted and I really need a hug and support so im glad I found you guys

Hi Jenny, I'm sorry you're here. While my girl Diamond had a front leg amp, I'm telling you because she was 12 when I chose that route. She had a wonderful 6 months before OS hit another leg. She was very happy....even chasing deer! (scared the crap out of me!)

Where are you located? If you're near Ohio State Univ, that's a great place to go. I went there from NJ and was thankful that 9 hrs is considered driving distance.

Remember, whatever decision you make, it's out of love for your girl. So no choice is the wrong choice.

Hi, Jenny. First - I'm so, so sorry you're here. I'm glad you're seeking advice from Ohio State. They're definitely the experts and can help you come up with a plan. In my experience, once I had a plan and a way forward, I was able to stop the constant crying (which I did do, for days). That's not to say I didn't have crying jags along the way, because I definitely did, but I felt worlds better once we'd decided how to proceed.

Re: the effects of chemo - The doses they'd be giving your hound aren't anywhere close to the doses they give people. As a result, dogs generally suffer much fewer side effects. I think my hound went through five rounds. For the first few, he showed zero side effects. For the last two or so, he'd sleep (more than usual) the next day. That's all. Some hounds experience a little tummy upset (mine didn't), but they have medications to help with that. For the most part, they handle it really, really well. Chemo for dogs isn't a rough process like it is for humans.

And while it's probably true that once diagnosed, there are already undetectable mets elsewhere in the body, I wouldn't let that be the main factor in your decision. Survival times vary greatly, but multiple dogs on Greytalk have made it 2+ years post-amputation. One wolfhound, Darcy, made it something like four years, and I believe her owners lost her to something other than Osteo complications.

If you decide not to go through with amputation, you need to make sure that she's getting enough pain meds. It's REALLY important that you act as a strong advocate for her in this, as Osteo is extremely painful, and many general practice vets don't know enough about Osteo and seem to be afraid to prescribe the number/doses of meds required. If you post here what you're giving her, we can give you advice if anything needs to be added/upped. You also need to find out the maximum dosage for all of her meds, because breakthrough pain can (and seems to) happen on weekends/holidays/overnight when it's difficult to reach your vet.

If you have access to and can afford a veterinary oncologist, I'd HIGHLY, highly recommend that you get a referral to one. Ours cost a fortune (although we live in DC, where everything is more expensive), but he was absolutely worth every penny and more.

Edited to add - Palliative radiation is radiation applied directly to the tumor. It may slow growth somewhat, but for some dogs, it also significantly reduces pain. It was an absolute miracle worker for my Gabe. For two of his treatments (including the first), he had to be carried into the clinic. He could not walk on his own, at all. Both times, he walked out on his own, limp free, a few hours later. It doesn't work (or work that spectacularly) for every dog, but if you decide not to amputate, it's worth looking into.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Hi Jenny, I am so sorry that you have to be here. My boy had just turned 7 when he was diagnosed.

Unfortunately, the woman you spoke to is right in that 90 percent of dogs have microscopic metastases in the lungs by the time they are diagnosed. However, in my opinion, this shouldn't be a major factor impacting your decision on whether to amputate. If the metastases are visible on x-ray, then it should be considered. There are far more important things that will impact the ultimate treatment decision you will make. Once again, in my opinion, which leg it is doesn't matter. Greyhounds get along just fine on any 3 of their legs. As others have said, chemo in a dog is much easier than chemo in a human. Vets give dogs a much smaller dosage by body weight than humans receive. The usual goal is not to totally eradicate cancer, but to keep it at bay for the remainder of the dogs life (a few years versus sometimes decades for humans).

I have written a document that outlines some of the information that may help you in making treatment decisions. Here is an excerpt talking about amputation:

The following is a chart with the generally recognized median time of survival for various treatments. These numbers are not cast in stone. New studies are always being undertaken. New therapies are being tried. In some cases, the treatments or combinations of treatments are new enough that there are no widely recognized statistics. There are also inconsistencies between different studies. Where there are inconsistencies, I have included a range. Note that the info in red has not yet been reviewed by OSU.

Osteosarcoma Treatment / Median Time of Survival

Amputation with IV chemo / 12 to 14 months

Amputation with IV chemo and metronomic protocol / no recognized study

Amputation alone / 3 to 6 months

Radiation, biphosphonate, and chemo combination / 7 months *

Pain Management with medication / 4 to 8 weeks

Radiation alone / no recognized study

Chemo alone / no recognized study

Biphosphonate alone / no recognized study

*results from a very limited study

Removing the affected limb will totally get rid of the terrible pain this disease causes. This is also the only chance your dog has of beating this disease. However, this possibility is so slim (less than 10 percent) that you should not make your decision based on any expectation of eliminating osteosarcoma from your dog’s body. This combination of treatments (amputation and chemo) has been shown to provide the longest median time of survival, currently at 14 months for greyhounds treated at Ohio State University.

The most critical factors influencing the decision for amputation and chemo are:

1) Are there already visible lung metastases? If so, the median time of survival will be shorter and there is currently no chance of beating the disease.
2) Are there any orthopedic issues that would make being a tripod too difficult?
3) Is the dog in good general health? If not, how will this impact the recovery and long term outlook?
4) Can the owner afford the treatment? This typically ranges from $4000 to $10000 over the course of the treatment. I have heard quotes for the amputation alone range from $1000 to $8000. Likewise, I have heard that IV chemotherapy can cost from $1000 to $7000. I know this is a big range. Mostly, it depends on the part of the country where you live and the vet that you choose. The costs can go up if your dog has any complications and whether you choose to do a metronomic protocol.
5) Is the dog petrified of the vet? If so, can accommodations be made to mitigate this? This usually isn’t a problem during the amputation phase. Your dog will be on heavy sedation for much of his time in the hospital. It becomes more of an issue during the IV chemo phase of the treatment. Your oncologist may be willing to accommodate your dog’s special needs. You could choose to do an amputation without chemotherapy. However, this will shorten the median time of survival to 3 to 6 months.
6) Can the owner provide intensive care for the week or two after the surgery? If not, can they afford to pay the veterinary hospital to provide this service? If you have questions about this, please see the document about what to expect during amputation and recovery.
7) What is the owner’s personal philosophy of treating a dog with a terminal disease? There is more on this at the end of this document.

If you would like to see the whole document, email me at finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com. You can also call me at 614-523-0754. I live close to Ohio State University and will put people up in my house if they need to come here.

Jane

p.s. I chose amputation and chemo with a follow-on metronomic protocol for my Joe. I got 20 wonderful months with him.

Edited by joejoesmom

I'm so sorry that you've joined this club. I'm now a 3 time member, and I'll tell you that it never gets easier.

What I CAN tell you is that with my second osteo pup Pinky, she had it in her left rear leg. I chose amputation and chemotherapy (she did 5 rounds of Carboplatin which we thankfully received from OSU at no cost to us, I just had to pay my vet to administer it). She did WONDERFULLY with all of it. She recovered well from surgery and accepted the chemo with no issues at all other than maybe being a little bit more tired a day or so after she received it. There were two times that we had to table her treatments because her white count was too low - that is common and will almost surely happen at least once.

The reasons I chose amputation and chemo for her - she was relatively young (age 8) and very strong. She didn't mind vet visits and didn't mind being handled (letting me pick her up, etc. to help her lay down, although not a requirement, was a big help for me during her recovery that she trusted me to move her around). For being a little bit odd (she was a bit quirky), she was a very friendly dog, but very quiet. I just knew in my heart that she would handle being a tripod well...and she did.

Honestly I think she became more of an individual after she lost that leg. Her little personality blossomed and her little quirks became more endearing. She loved to sing and "talk" to me.

She was diagnosed October 21, 2011. Left rear leg amputated November 7, 2011, she spent one night in the hospital and came home to me around 4:00pm the next day. She was not happy being in a kennel and not being able to move around and it was stressing her out. I had taken off work to be home with her so it was just best for her to be home with me. The first couple of days she needed some help getting up, and it was easier for her to keep MOVING as opposed to standing still (sort of like learning to ride a bike). I used a beach towel around her belly and followed her around in the yard at a JOG (in November, in the rain). She needed a little bit of help to get back up after squatting to potty. By about day 3 or 4 she was annoyed at me following her around, so, I'd just go out in the yard with her and be close by in case she needed anything.

She was kept wrapped up while she still had staples. Our surgeon believes that this makes a big difference for them with swelling and in her case, I believe that to be true.

In mid-October 2012, she developed a couple of tumors in her lungs. We let her go on November 19th, 2012. She never had any trouble breathing, but, we believe that the cancer overall just amped up the disease process and her little body started shutting down.

I have no regrets at all with the choices that I made for her. She was an amazing dog and had an amazing chance at another VERY happy year thanks to the efforts of our veterinarians :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Jchallis87

im in mississaua Ontario Canada so ohios a bit of a stretch and I have no passport right now otherwise I would be in ohio tomorrow morning. these stories have helped me greatly. thank you so much for all your kindness. this is the girl im trying to save this is the face that I love. thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your stories. I was in debate of taking the leg and not doing chemo now im not so sure and I may consider the chemo...yet another decision but these are the decisions I have to make. Im paranoid for my other girl now. im gonna get a body scan for her on her next check up because my greys are closely related. Blitz is dodgers aunt.

31412_615490446278_122703125_35835956_50387031_757253591798_122703125_37775765_1

Jenny, I am beyond sorry that Blitz has been diagnosed. While I can't add anymore that has already been said as it's all great information, the decision on what path you choose is yours. I can say that we chose the amp & chemo path with our angel Charlie and were very lucky to have 21 mths of wonderful happy times with our boy. He was diagnosed prior to his 8th birthday and we immediately amputated at Alta Vista Animal Hospital in Ottawa and it went extremely well. We did keep him there for 5 days so the cost was high due to that (approx. $1,000 a night) but we wanted to be sure and were very nervous bringing him home. Overall, the recovery was not that bad and we were shocked how quickly he recovered and adapted. So that is our brief story and again, whatever you choose, we are here for you no matter what. If you have any questions about amp and chemo, feel free to contact me direct at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com or 613-362-0379.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Jchallis87

This is awesome info. and thanks kyle i might tak eyou up on that offer. i got an email back form the clinic in ohio but it wasnt super helpful they basically said yes she has cancer you can amputate or leave it leaving it she may have 4 months amputate and chemo she might have a year but her lungs look clear. however we cant giveyou any info unless we had 3 lung scans....i sent 3 lung scans to them so they either didnt look at all my documents or the photos didnt open :S so im not so sure right now what else to talk to the ohio clinic about but i think im going to go through with the amputation her lungs look clear in all 3 scans and the biopsey report said is a low grade cancer and in humans that means its stage one so its been caught early. so i think im going to go with the amputation option 4 months compated to potentially 2 years is almost a no brainer to me i think im going to panic when i realize im taking her in to lose her leg im going to feel so unbearably guilty doing this but i think she will be a good candidate for it shes young shes vibrant shes energetic and shes got lots of attitude. i dont know how much chemo she will need but im freaking out.

Guest Jchallis87

as a side note im also glad you guys are all so open, friendly, sharing and no one is judging or implying that one way is worse than the other. the other grey site im on is almost guilting me into just letting her go they all seem to think amputation is a dumb idea so im gonna stay with you freindly positive supportive people :)

as a side note im also glad you guys are all so open, friendly, sharing and no one is judging or implying that one way is worse than the other. the other grey site im on is almost guilting me into just letting her go they all seem to think amputation is a dumb idea so im gonna stay with you freindly positive supportive people :)

jenny - you are doing all the right things! research & decisions aren't any fun when your heart is broken with the os news.....hang in there - you will find friends here that support you in whatever decision you make - lots of different paths here, none exactly the same. you are the only one that knows blitz, and your circumstances (both physical & financial)-- but everybody here is so great to share with each other!!! where's jenn??? neyla was an inspiration to us all and she will chime in here in a bit & has great info!! we will all support you whatever path you take, are delighted with good news and will cry with you when it's not so good - so feel free to rant, ask, cry, post lots of pictures (beautiful blitz & dodger!!)whatever!

This is awesome info. and thanks kyle i might tak eyou up on that offer. i got an email back form the clinic in ohio but it wasnt super helpful they basically said yes she has cancer you can amputate or leave it leaving it she may have 4 months amputate and chemo she might have a year but her lungs look clear. however we cant giveyou any info unless we had 3 lung scans....i sent 3 lung scans to them so they either didnt look at all my documents or the photos didnt open :S so im not so sure right now what else to talk to the ohio clinic about but i think im going to go through with the amputation her lungs look clear in all 3 scans and the biopsey report said is a low grade cancer and in humans that means its stage one so its been caught early. so i think im going to go with the amputation option 4 months compated to potentially 2 years is almost a no brainer to me i think im going to panic when i realize im taking her in to lose her leg im going to feel so unbearably guilty doing this but i think she will be a good candidate for it shes young shes vibrant shes energetic and shes got lots of attitude. i dont know how much chemo she will need but im freaking out.

I totally understand freaking out in general, but if you're freaking out about the costs, Ohio State offers free chemotherapy drugs for retired racers. They mail the doses to your vet's office, and you're only charged the cost of administering them (IV, disposal, etc...). You can send an email to the same person you sent her scans to, and they'll tell you what info they need.

Edited to add - They may've implemented a new policy requiring you to be an Ohio State supporter/member in order to get the free chemo. I believe they were going to that, but I don't know when it was set to take effect. Even so, I think membership is something like $100 a year, which is far less expensive than chemo drugs.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Look through the health and medical forum for a thread titled " this is a thread I hoped I would never have to make". I believe that it was started in March. It covers one person's decision making and the follow up after amp progress that his dog made. He couldn't take time off work so he set up a web cam and we all watched his dog every day.

Good luck! This club didn't exist when my dog was diagnosed. You have lots of experience with all options speaking to you here. Stay away from groups that try to tell you what to do. This is your decision for your dog, and whatever you decide is the right decision for you both.

Edited by Neighsayer

Guest Jchallis87

I totally understand freaking out in general, but if you're freaking out about the costs, Ohio State offers free chemotherapy drugs for retired racers. They mail the doses to your vet's office, and you're only charged the cost of administering them (IV, disposal, etc...). You can send an email to the same person you sent her scans to, and they'll tell you what info they need.

Edited to add - They may've implemented a new policy requiring you to be an Ohio State supporter/member in order to get the free chemo. I believe they were going to that, but I don't know when it was set to take effect. Even so, I think membership is something like $100 a year, which is far less expensive than chemo drugs.

thats awesome news! however i wonder if they send the drugs across the border :S im in canada but i can always ask. not freaking out too much abou the cost because at this point there no cost that can stop me but i wouldnt mind havign some help. i will ask christine (shes the vet who got back to me) to see if they still do that. thats awesome! you guys are so awesome!!!!!!! :) im going to ask right now.

Look through the health and medical forum for a thread titled " this is a thread I hoped I would never have to make". I believe that it was started in March. It covers one person's decision making and the follow up after amp progress that his dog made. He couldn't take time off work so he set up a web cam and we all watched his dog every day.

Good luck! This club didn't exist when my dog was diagnosed. You have lots of experience with all options speaking to you here. Stay away from groups that try to tell you what to do. This is your decision for your dog, and whatever you deidr is the right decision for you both.

you guys really are amazing im glad i found this site.

thats awesome news! however i wonder if they send the drugs across the border :S im in canada but i can always ask. not freaking out too much abou the cost because at this point there no cost that can stop me but i wouldnt mind havign some help. i will ask christine (shes the vet who got back to me) to see if they still do that. thats awesome! you guys are so awesome!!!!!!! :) im going to ask right now.

you guys really are amazing im glad i found this site.

As of a year or so ago, OSU was able to send chemo drugs to Canada. I seem to recall that there were some delays with international shipments in the OSU shipping department. Several years ago I went to OSU and picked up chemo drugs for someone in Canada and shipped them myself. I know that they (the university not the greyhound program) have cracked down on circumventing the system, so I'm not sure this is still possible. Let me know if I can help in any way.

I am very disappointed that someone would try to tell you that one treatment is better than another. Even an oncologist who has personally examined your dog shouldn't tell you that one decision or the other is wrong. It just isn't clear cut with this illness. Yes, there are some studies that give median time of survival for different treatments -- but this is just a clinical viewpoint. It doesn't take into account all the other parameters, such as the dog's personality, the owner's finances, etc.

Only you know what is best for your dog and your family. Any decision you make will be out of love and that can't be wrong.

Jane