Wound! - Update With Photos On Post #18

Here's what we came home to tonight. Alex and Heisman greeted us at the door like the always do, as if nothing was wrong. Not sure what happened. There was a piece of Alex's skin and hair on the tile, smaller than the wound which is about 2" wide. This gash is on his back, just behind his right shoulder. We see no other signs of a problem. No blood on Heisman. (sorry if the picture is enormous, I tried to make it smaller but can't seem to master that function)

DH just took Alex to the ER. Are we over-reacting? Any suggestions?

Wound.jpg

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Ouch! I don't think you're overreacting. Wounds like that can be much deeper than they look. Diamond had a smaller one that needed three layers of stitches.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest happygrey

I probably would have taken mine to the vet. If it's a bite, it can get infected really pretty quickly so it needs a really thorough cleaning (we had that happen once). He might need a stitch or two to close it as well.

Poor Alex! I hope he's feeling better quickly!

My guess is that it's probably a bite unless you find evidence of a scrape or weird fall somewhere around your house.

Edited by happygrey

From the picture, it does look a bit deep. Even if it doesn't end up stitched, I am sure some profilactic antibiotics won't hurt.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Buck had one almost exactly like that in almost the same place - he ran under a branch or something in the yard. His flap of skin was still attached though. My vet glued it and said if it could hold on even a few days it might be the boost for it to heal up on its own without staples. It worked even tho I got some flack from someone on here for being too weenie to cut the flap off myself when it came loose later. :blush

My theory on ER visits is that if the dog is drinking, not in distress, not vomiting or bleeding it'll wait until morning. I wasted far too much money at the ER in my early days.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I'd have been off to ER with that one. There are many, many wounds I treat at home or wait until regular vet is open. Deep gashes, cuts that expand like a crack in a windshield, wounds that coincide with a dog acting ill or puncture wounds on lower legs & feet fall into the category that make it worth ER treatment. Your pup's appears to fall into the deep gash category. Will fully admit that deep gashes get vet checks because I not only loath looking at them but cannot even bring myself to clean them up. (As I tell the vets, there's a reason I'm in accounting.)

What I would work very hard to avoid is having a dog being anesthetized for wound treatment. That's something I like to avoid anyway but hate it for wound treatment even more. Took an incident with Goofydog's Get Em to teach me that lesson.

Buck had one almost exactly like that in almost the same place - he ran under a branch or something in the yard. His flap of skin was still attached though.

That's what it looks like to me; a tear from running/pushing himself under something. Is your other hound muzzled? In the absence of something obviously in the way of fixtures and fittings, I'd be looking at the underside of a muzzle to see if there's a sharp bit.

I'd probably have taken him in, too. Yes, if the dog is otherwise OK and you're sure there's no internal bleeding it can wait until morning, but in my experience, unless you cover it very well, there's a chance that the dog will make it quite a bit bigger overnight.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Any word on this guy??

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Thanks for the update!

Update...

Alex is doing okay, thank goodness. Stoic, of course, like most Greyhounds. We now think that Heisman may have jumped on him - maybe in the excitement of us coming home Thursday night - and clipped him with his nail. The vet didn't think it was a bite.

We have him on an antibiotic (Cephalexin 500mg) for two weeks and a painkiller (Tramadol HCL 500mg) for several days.

Here is a picture of Sir Goofyhead from this morning, when we were getting ready to leave the house. He was standing between us and the door to the garage, looking all cute and everything, petitioning us to go for a ride. (It worked by the way... how could we possibly resist? :colgate)

IMG_1355.jpg

The wound site. The e-vet (who happened to work part-time at the local dog track) first wanted to use staples, but decided stitches would be best for his injury. He used local anesthesia and reported that Alex just stood through the stitching process. Here, he is resting with his bunny (the same toy he had when he was rescued from the county pound :angry: three years ago.)

IMG_1359.jpg

The night of the incident, there was this little tuft of hair and skin on the tile in the foyer. I have always heard that Greyhounds' skin tears easily. This is proof and it is amazing that this little "divot" turned into a much bigger wound. I am glad our instant reaction was to go to the ER that night.

IMG_1356.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I always learn so much from all of you! :wubsite

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Glad he's doing well. At least he won't need a cone of shame - hard for him to get at it. :rolleyes:

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis