Penny Lane

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

I haven't posted here since my Murphy died. I regret posting this time just as much. Penny was my first greyhound and my first dog, and these fora helped me learn how to be a compassionate greyhound lover more than words can say. Thank you for all that you did for us over the years.

You died on a Wednesday, and I wasn’t there to say goodbye.

You came home on a Saturday seven years ago, having chosen me as your own, beyond a shadow of a doubt. You were eager to please, a little scared, and desperate for attention and affection.

You were a challenge to me. So much like myself, perhaps: demanding, micromanaging, opinionated, suspicious. But you were also sweet like sugar, affectionate, bouncy and shy. You were my great communicator, always working hard to let me know what was going on in that sharp mind of yours. I did my best to listen.

You were alpha, they warned, but you showed me you were only a social climber in need of rules and boundaries. I gave them to you, though I never trained you, I always say. We simply reached an understanding. But still you learned what I asked of you, in order to keep your mind busy: high five and sit and find it and touch and kiss and these same again in Italian. And you executed each command like a lady, as I asked. You were a wonderful hostess to guests, a happy research assistant, excellent company, a fierce protector, and a warm bed fellow.

But you also had some challenges to overcome. You were a picky eater with a sensitive stomach and allergies, so I experimented without success until I gave in and fed you raw, on which you thrived. You were terrified of large groups of kids, to the point of being afraid to go for a walk, so I got you a brother: Murphy, whose supervision gave you a purpose far more satisfying than fear, and we walked then as a pack, with you our proud, and oh-so-elegant leader.

You were a bounce. Promised a home, then returned by those who didn’t take the time to get to know you. It was clearly my gain. I promised you that you would always have a place with me, and I meant it: California, Oklahoma, Wisconsin. We journeyed together, reinventing ourselves and growing with the changing climate and terrain.

You weathered the loss of loved ones, a dog walker when work kept me from you, and time in a kennel whenever I had to travel out of the country. Just like the day you died. During my most difficult days you were my constant, my bella gioia, my PITA, my faithful companion, my reason to try, my family.

You died on a Wednesday, and I wasn’t there to say goodbye, to make decisions about your pain, or to witness the beautiful, strong girl I loved so take her last breath. Such a precious moment to have missed. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to forgive myself for that. But I hope you knew that it wasn’t the lack of love for you that kept me away. It could never have been that, Penny.

I miss you. I miss your needle nose nudging me persistently for attention. I miss the way you jumped up to kiss my cheek when I came home, even at 11 years old with osteo in one shoulder. I miss the way you couldn’t wait for me to rub your belly and would have your legs in the air before I even made it to your bed. I miss watching you dig in the dirt, wiggle in the grass, and nest in your blankets. I miss your inquisitive eyes, your gentle, courteous ways, your tenacity. I miss the way you orbited around me like I was the sun, when in fact you were the center of *my* universe.

While shopping the other day, I accidentally reached for a box of your cookies, and I was horrified that I had forgotten your absence. How was that possible? What was wrong with me? But in fact, I’ve realized, I had simply remembered your presence, and I hope I continue to do so for a long, long time because I’m just not yet ready to let you go.

Run free, my sweet Penny Lane, and know that you are so very, very loved.

Penny's gallery: https://plus.google....952820504785729

One of the most moving tributes I have ever read. Please do not beat yourself up because you couldn't be with Penny at the end, she knew you were with her. :heart I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. :grouphug

Godspeed beautiful Penny. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know she knew how much you loved her. Godspeed Penny Lane.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:weep Very moving tribute. You will never forget her presence because you will find out,as I did, that she will be with you always. Then it will comfort you. You were with her when she crossed over-just like you are with her now. Only her body died. She knows & you know. Hearts know what the minds can't undersand.

:f_pink:f_red:f_pink:gh_run

What an incredibly beautiful girl. I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Run with the angels, sweet pea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 You wrote a great tribute to a very special girl.

Godspeed Penny Lane.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest jettcricket

"I miss the way you orbited around me like I was the sun, when in fact you were the center of *my* universe."

When I read this it brought instant tears....I'm so sorry in the loss of your most special girl. :f_red

I'm so sorry for your loss

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Penny.

You made some wonderful memories together.

Rmember all the good times.... they will keep you going over the next few days, weeks, months.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Truly very sorry for your loss of Penny and not being able to be by her side as she passed. Sometimes life prevents us but she always will remember the great life you gave her.

Run free Penny, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.