Guest DragonflyDM

Guest DragonflyDM

I have to admit that my dog has no separation anxiety-- however, I know that I do. I really worry about being away from him and him being unhappy when I am gone. I take him everywhere if I can. To school, family and friends, on vacation, etc.

The idea of going on vacation without Boomer bothers me.

How many of the humans have SA?

ME!!! Mama2 and I are taking a long weekend at the end of the month. First dog free vacation in 5+ years! Have to admit, I'm not really looking forward to it!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Most of us do, I'm willing to bet. Only to what degree varies.

We adopted our first grey... he went everywhere with us.

11 months later we adopted number 2 grey.

They both went everywhere with us.

10 months later we adopted number 3 grey.

Now, we would take all three, but occassionally take just one and leave the remaining at home.

Years go by..

we are losing them in the reverse order.

third houndie passed last year, 2nd houndie passed last week...

our 1st pupper is now going everywhere with us because he has never been home alone... and I know he is greiving too.

Guest HoundWorks

Our number one topic of conversation when we go away for a long vacation is "I wonder what Dex is doing. I hope he's not missing us too much!"

We are going away in July for the first time in many years without the dogs. We have a family wedding in Florida and will be flying. My dogs have never been boarded other than in someone's home (Hi Linda) or with my kids at their homes with their dogs. This is the first time they will be in a kennel and I am frantic already worrying about them.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I have never worried even for a moment. Mostly because we have never left him with anyone other than a trusted friend. If I had to kennel or board him I would probably fret a bit.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Oh yeah.

I had such terrible SA with Perry that I got her a sister...Minnie. Minnie developed two types of severe IBD before she was 3, and I no longer even think about going away.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greysmitten

Umm, I have a confession...

We went away for two weeks a few months ago ...

And I worried about my dog more than my daughter. There. I said it. In my defense, i know that my daughter was completely ok with us going and would be having her own vacation away.

I travel a lot, both for work and pleasure. I never worry because I leave them with people who I completely trust. Having said that, I do miss them and email their care takers almost daily if I can :)

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We left Timo a few times to go on vacation when we lived in Florida. We worried some but felt okay for the most part because we boarded him with our adoption group. I figured they would know what to do in case of an emergency.

Now that we've moved 3000 miles away, we no longer have that option. My husband and I are planning to go away for a weekend in less than a month. Timo will either be staying with a friend who has a German Shepard or will be boarded with a lady who has a grey and an iggy. I will worry quite a bit this first time away, since this is "new."

Well... we just don't go on vacation!

We are both semi retired.... I work a seasonal summer job 2 minutes from home and DH works 2-3 mostly evening shifts a week.

So we're home a lot.

We also have 5 horses here at home, along with the usual barn cats and bunnies.

Can't remember the last time we both went away at the same time!

DH will take 3 or 4 days and go to his "Huntin' Camp' a few times a year.

I'll take the odd day or two and visit my aging Mom who lives 2 hours away.

DS and family are only 40 minutes away.

We have no desire to travel. At all. Ever.

We live on 80+ acres in a beautiful rural area ... our own piece of paradise.

Why would I want to leave??

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I try to plan our vacations around the dogs now - as in, where can I go that allows dogs? We've stumbled on some really amazing places (Savage River Lodge, in Maryland). This weekend we're heading to the Outer Banks, houndies in tow looking forward to some quality sand time. However, DH has arranged for a canoe trip down the Grand Canyon next summer sans dogs, and I'm already dreading it.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

We try our hardest to book greyhound friendly hotels everywhere we go, but one annual trip to Myrtle Beach is a week of no pups... I get very anxious and last year drove over 4 hours round trip to drop them off at Sunshine's foster home. I was a pain in the butt and checked in every day. LOL

This year they are staying with Rainy's foster parents. Bf is now talking about a cruise in another two years. Limited cell service on those has me panicked! I can't check in on my puppies!

------

Jessica

I used to not understand and make fun of (yikes!) people who worried about /missed their dogs. After all, it's just a dog, right? Now I am one of those people (and glad of it!). When we go on vacation, I don't worry about Livy because I know she's having fun at Doggy Day Care and knows I will be back, but I miss her. She's my girl. I miss The Cat, too, and despite what people believe about cats, I know she misses us, too. But she doesn't get to go play with friends (neighbor looks in on her) and so her feelings about us leaving her and returning are less than cordial. She punishes us before forgiving us.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Once I am out of the house it is okay...the hardest part for me is always walking out that door and Mollie gives me so much guilt and does nothing really...all in my head.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I'm on day three of a four day cross-country drive. I miss my babies so much. Burke texted me two pictures of Murray and Holly today. I love Burke. :wub:

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest mirinaaronsmom

If I can't take my pups, I'm not going anywhere. I enjoy my staycations.

But what surprises me is when I'm sitting for friends' hounds and not a one has ever called to check on their hound. I couldn't do that. Maybe I should be flattered that they trust me enough not to check in.

Guest barkdogs

My room mate does dog care in return for rent (during the school year I am away one night a week, plus occasional other short trips) she is a dog walker--and I STILL worry! Really, it's more that I miss them.

I don't worry about them because if I am away without them, they are with DH. However, i do really miss them. At this point we go on vacations that include the dogs because this is our preference.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Wasserbuffel

My biggest worry when leaving my pets is that I've done enough to make my sitter's job a breeze. I really don't worry that they miss me while I'm gone, and I'm rarely gone long enough to miss them. I spend a week each summer away from my cats and birds, and last year Jayne. I don't check up on them, and there is no way to contact me while I'm away. (If something goes wrong they are listed on my vet's records as OK to make medical decisions in my place.)

Guest BlueCrab

When I travel for work, I don't worry a bit 'cause DH takes care of everybody, but he does provide regular updates and they all end up sleeping in bed with him which doesn't happen when I'm home. They go to all our races with us in the motorhome, so we've stopped going to the tracks that don't allow dogs. If the National Championships go back to the track in Ohio that doesn't allow dogs, I don't know what I'm going to do.

We had housesitters for our old pack and never a trip went by without some sort of major mishap / near tragedy on the part of the housesitters. So I gave up and now we don't have a good or reliable housesitter anymore. We went away in January 2010 and left a friend at the house with the current dogs: perfect Trixie who has never in her life put a foot out of place bit the guy in the face before we'd made it to the first layover.

So yes - I definitely have human SA whenever I think about what I'd do if we both tried to go away without them again.

I rarely go on trips other than day trips up north, to cottages, etc. so I can take the pups with me. I have some great places to leave them if I need to though so I don't worry that way.

For the past few weeks both Teague and Karma have been staying with my parents ( 3 hrs away) and I won't see them until next weekend. :sad1 I'm a teacher, so June is really busy for me and it really helps if I can stay late at work. My parents always take them for me at this time to help out. I know they are having a great time, have people with them all day long and can even swim in the lake most days so I don't worry, I just miss them! In a week I'll have my summer holidays so I'll make up for it :)