How About A "my Dog Is So Bomb-Proof" Thread?

We have lots of threads about spooks and other issues, how about one to talk about how brave our bravest dogs are? (Also to fight the common impression in forums that it's all bad because we only talk about the bad stuff.) I'll start:

Capri's our first greyhound and spoiled us rotten for any other dog. We did chip and Ajax is perfect in many other ways but he's not bomb proof like Capri is. First of all, she's a little mountain goat, will clamber all around in my car - seats up, seats down, whatever. When I was retraining Ajax that the car was a happy place to make him climb in on his own, I would toss treats in and hold Capri back so that he could explore and get comfortable with the car with no competition or pressure. After he did well, then I'd turn her loose. She never cared if her back legs were on the folded-down seat while her head was in the footwell trying to snap up a treat on the floor. If her feet slipped, she'd just try again. She falls and gets back up. She slips on the kitchen floor and keeps running. (indoor racetrack, you know) But here's the big one that really impressed me:

I have this cute "kitchen chicken" inspired by Alton Brown's. Mine is yellow with metal feet and is heavy enough that it must be solid concrete or something. It didn't even chip when it fell of the fridge. So one evening, the dogs are hanging around the kitchen while I'm making dinner, when I shut the fridge door too hard and the chicken fell off the top of it. It bounced off the microwave, and then bounced again off Capri's butt. The noise itself had both dogs scrambling to get outta there, and while Capri's legs were slipping on the floor is when it hit her. Was she terrorized or hurt? Nope. As soon as the noise stopped, she came back and sniffed the chicken laying on the floor - not so much as a flinch when I came forward to make sure she was okay. She's a very intrepid little beast!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treasure is so bombproof that she navigates through large crowds like it's nothing.

Treasure is so bombproof that she absolutely ignores puppies that climb on her.

Treasure is so bombproof that she rides the Toronto subway without any reaction at all.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My girls are so bombproof that they work Renaissance Festivals happily. They put up with crowds of 15,000+ with kids flopping on them, hugging them too tight, etc for up to 10 hours a day, 2 days in a row. They are fine with cannons, explosions, gun shots, whips, crazy costumes, people of all types, ages, and energy levels, camels, geese, elephants, jousts, and the whole nine yards. They snooze through gun shots, and fire tricks. Neither seem to fear anything. One of them runs through life like a bull in a China shop and easily takes on anything ever thrown at her. Heck...she was doing tricks for the vet when they had her in for her spay surgery.

:lol: They are fine with puppies, all types and ages of dogs, kids, walkers, wheelchairs, and storms. One of mine wants to play when storms are rolling in...I have to make her come inside. They dive headfirst into snow and handle trips like pros. Last year I was gone for over a week and the day after I returned we had 5 Ibizan Hounds that have never been here before, a mixed breed, and 3 strangers come stay with us for a couple of days and my girls didn't bat an eye. They did play a lot though! :lol: I also have a bombproof boy, a true, beyond textbook spook, and a shy boy.

In fact, a friend wrote this about one of them, Lorelei, last year.

The True Beauty of Greyhounds

There are very few people who will deny that a Greyhound is a beautiful animal. They have been the dog of royalty and the chosen subject of art for centuries. Their regal, stylized form has become synonymous with the image of status and elegance. Even if the sighthound build isn't your preference, there is nothing quite like watching them run and I think most any dog lover will admit to that. Truly, they are the supermodels of the dog world: tall, leggy, graceful, low percentage of body fat...well, if that supermodel also sidelined as an Olympic sprinter.

I have never shared my home with a Greyhound, though I've been an admirer since I first became aware of them. I am an online stalker of my many Greyhound friends, mulling over their photos of their beautiful dogs and I read the bios of the adoptable dogs from the many adoption groups and sigh. Someday, there will be a Greyhound (or two) on my couch, but at this time in my life they would not fit into my lifestyle, or my pack of very high energy dogs.

Taking that into consideration, I leaped at the chance to spend a weekend with The Hounds of East Fairhaven, a group that promotes Greyhound education and adoption at Renaissance Festivals. I was able to spend the weekend playing dress up in good company, surrounded by wonderful dogs! These dogs were amazing ambassadors in every way. They were friendly and relaxed even in the middle of extreme chaos: huge crowds, camels, horses, loud music, people wearing masks and wild clothes, gun shots...they weren't phased.

Which brings me to Lorelei, a young "racing school drop out" who preferred to sniff the roses rather than race. Lorelei belongs to my friend, Shannon, and she was "loaned" to me for the festival. Lorelei is a very beautiful, sweet girl who I've loved from afar for years; she is simply adorable from her sweet little tipped ears to the tiny curl in her tail. It is rumored that she may not be the very brightest of Greyhounds, as her head is filled with cotton candy clouds and sparkly stars, but she is simply brilliant in terms of empathic connection with people. Simply put, she loves everyone unreservedly. She enthusiastically approached every new person all weekend long, untiringly offering herself for pets and leans and winning new admirers, big and small.

At one point, while walking through the milling crowds with hands reaching for her every few steps, we were stopped by a family with a small girl who wanted to see her and her "sister", Delilah. The mother warned that the child had a sensory issue that made it difficult to perceive the strength of her grip. For the next few moments, she hugged Lorelei a little too tight, patted her a little too hard, and Lorelei stood quietly and enjoyed every second of it. The child was delighted!

However, later in the day, Lorelei did something that was truly touching. A very elderly woman came to visit the Hound Barn, being pushed in a wheelchair by her very elderly daughter. The mother was very fragile and infirm, and not all together there, but the sight of the dogs lying quietly in the barn made her sit up a little straighter. Lorelei, who had been lying half-asleep taking a break from her long day, spotted this woman immediately and leaped to her feet instantly and went to greet her. Her steps slowed the closer she came, her head lowered and her whole demeanor softened. By the time she reached the woman, she was moving very gently and carefully. She stopped by her side and lowered her head into the woman's lap and stood very still while the woman took Lorelei's head between her hands and pet her somewhat awkwardly. The woman's whole face just lit up in the most beautiful smile and she began saying, "Oh, you are so pretty! Look at you!" They stayed like that together for quite some time, with the daughter standing by looking on. The daughter was so thrilled, and I could tell that it made the day better for both of them.

Lorelei, to me, is a wonderful example of what is truly beautiful about Greyhounds: their empathic, loving personalities. The elegant, sleek form is just the pretty wrapping paper on the true gift!

Miss Lorelei at the Georgia Renaissance Festival (photo by Anne Boyett)

untitled-0102.jpg

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I'm very lucky, with the exception of Bebe, most of my dogs are pretty bomb proof. They aren't bothered by loud noises, storms or strangers. Basically, they just take everything in stride. Now Bebe, she's another story.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Batman was so bombproof that when you vacuumed, you could lift up his back legs and tail and run the vaccum underneath (he'd be flopped out on his side, of course).

He was so bombproof that he let the neighbor's minpin puppy jump up to give him kisses, repeatedly.

He was so bombproof that the vet once stapled up a leg wound while he stood there, wagging his tail and mugging for ear rubs from the tech.

A day or two after I brought him home, the fence guys were finishing work with the pneumatic nail gun right under B's window. He got up, looked, turned around, and went right back to sleep.

I'm sure I will remember more as the day goes on -- you've brought back some good and funny memories with this thread.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Each of my 3 are bomb-proof in certain ways. All 3 though are amazingly calm with fireworks. My community has a July 4th display every year that is set just 2 blocks from my house - I can actually watch them from my backyard. While none of the dogs will stay outside, they lay just inside the patio door, watching me as if to say, "What'cha doing out there, Momma?"

Last summer, we were out at an event and had asked when the fireworks were going to happen, so that we could get the dogs out of there. Then they started them a 1/2 hour early, catching us just as we were leaving. Ruger and Nedra were completely unfazed. Delta was brave and stood still, even though she shook the whole time.

Ruger is my truly bomb-proof in every way dog. One year at the North TX Irish Festival, I was walking the vendor booths with all 3. Someone stopped me to ask about greyhounds and as I was talking, I heard people start laughing behind me. I turned around to find Ruger flat out on the concrete floor in the middle of the crowed aisle. I had stopped walking, so he decided he was going to relax. He charmed a lot of folks in that moment. At all our events, he is usually flat on his side and that just attracts the smaller children, who invariably get down on the ground with him, petting and leaning on him. When they stop, he'll lift his head off the floor and give them a grin that begs for more. I can put a hat on him, wrap him in Mardi Gras beads - do just about anything to him and he just takes it all. He's truly an easy dog.

Delta and Nedra - so long as I'm on the other end of the leash, I can ask them to do just about anything as well. They aren't quite as relaxed as Ruger is, but they are calm, cool and collected when they do events with me.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Bootsy is so bomb proof that he lives with a 3 year old boy :eek

Argos was pretty bomb proof also

Fate takes care of us, because i am not the right fit for a high maintenance dog

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Angelique

My boy is shy and reserved, and really doesn't like strangers or people in general all that much. That said, thunder, fireworks, playful and rough dogs, puppies, loud music, people yelling ...As long as mom is within eye sight, he is bomb proof. A huge tree limb fell not 10 ft from where he was sleeping, he looked up, sniffed the air and went back to snoozing.

Celeste is our almost bombproof dog. She was our first too. Celeste will sleep through most anything - except fireworks. The latter didn;t bother her until a neighbor set one off in his driveway right in front of her while we were passing one July 4th. GURRR. Other than that, Celeste is the ULTIMATE meet & greet dog. She hasn't met a person, dog, cat, bird, ferret, etc. that isn't her friend. Crowds don't bother her one bit. She adores puppies especially chihuahuas which we are convinced she thinks are baby greyhounds. Celeste also LOVES going to the vets office. We used to bring her with us to all of Faye Oops appointments - including when she had to be PTS - because she provided much needed comfort. Pretty much everyone at our local pet stores and vets office know Celeste and love her as much as we do.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Our Bella is so bombproof that she was asleep within 30 minutes of bringing her home, including sleeping through a screaming fire engine. She lives in Manhattan, and so can now sleep through sirens, fireworks, thunder & lightening, protests, the FedEx depot across the street, 42nd st traffic, walking through Times Square, walking through Grand Central Terminal, traveling on trains and in taxis, falling asleep in Grand Central and on the train.......

The only thing that spooks her is a human foot, under the bed clothes, touching her. That is SCARY and all efforts to escape must be made immediately :youcrazy

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest mom2hounds

We have also been blessed with a bombproof hound. Nothing phases Forti. Parades with fire trucks, fireworks, storms,elevators,stairs, children, M&Gs. She just goes with the flow.

Two of my dogs are so bombproof that they became Therapy Dogs and worked for many years with an assortment of populations.

All of my dogs are so bombproof that they said "Wot Hurricane Irene?" :sowhat even tho their mom was KNOT quite that calm. :wow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The only thing that spooks her is a human foot, under the bed clothes, touching her. That is SCARY and all efforts to escape must be made immediately :youcrazy

WHAT?! They MUST be twins! I'm sure there was some sort of mix up with tattoos or racing names....my Bella is the same, she will jump right up so fast if a foot touches her, hand is ok...just don't bring a foot near her, or else she'll jump to the ceiling. :rofl

WHAT?! They MUST be twins! I'm sure there was some sort of mix up with tattoos or racing names....my Bella is the same, she will jump right up so fast if a foot touches her, hand is ok...just don't bring a foot near her, or else she'll jump to the ceiling. :rofl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Nixon is totally bomb-proof.

He's been a Therapy Dog for over a year, and last weekend passed the gruelling 'Children's Test'. Here's the link.

I can also vacuum beside, under and on top of Nixon.

Ruby is really good, too.

I've had her to the old folks home for 'musical entertainment' evenings and she's been known to punk herself down for a nap on the hardwood dance floor with old peeps stepping over her.

She's not crazy about the vacuum, though.

Nigel is a good boy, too.

We've only had him for 5 months and he hasn't been as many places as the other two.

He's fine with the vacuum, although I don't think I could run it across his body like I can with Nixon!

None have any issues with loud noises or thunder storms.

All three are blood donars and just lay flat out and nap during that procedure. They just got asked to donate this weekend...there's a shortage of 'negative' blood.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I have known far more calm, quiet greyhounds than anything else. Even my super spook was

unflappable about everything else other than her real fear which was people. Cracker is my 7th

hound over 13 years. All of my hounds have been "bomb proof" by the standards of this thread.

Heck, Pearl (the spook) was flown here from Florida. I have never set paw on an airplane. Go figure.

Re Pearl: Zema my spooky girl was not unflappable but was *manageable* about most things. Joseph, who isn't spooky, can be difficult -- when he doesn't like something, he *really* doesn't like it.

Gidgie is frightened of thunderstorms and doesn't seem to like big crowds of dogs, but she's pretty unflappable about everything else. Only greyhound I've had who'll plop down for a nap at the vet's office -- in the waiting room, the treatment room, any type of floor surface, any time. And when the vet comes in, she'll just open her eyes and lift her leg in hopes of a tummy rub.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.