Toby's Life And Battle

Guest twoskinnydogs

Guest twoskinnydogs

Overtime Toby 23C-17981

Toby’s life began on February 23, 2003. He was born a racing greyhound. His racing career began on December 10,2004 at the Lincoln Park racetrack in Rhode Island. Toby proved to be a fine race dog, winning his first ever maiden race. He quickly moved up through the race grades and in June of 2005 Toby was moved to Woodlands Greyhound Park in MA. In November of that same year Toby was moved again to Raynham/Taunton also in MA. Toby raced in MA through the end of 2006 when he was moved to sunny FL. Toby raced some in FL and eventually ends up at GPA-Orlando. How Toby ended up at GPA is the kicker. You see Toby and three other hounds were found one morning chained to the gate at GPA. He was taken in and ended up catching a ride to North Carolina sometime in 2007. He was moved to Circle of Friends Greyhound Adoptions for adoption. I attended an open house at this group and after a few weeks myself and Emma Doo brought this beautiful light brindle boy home in mid October 2007.

It didn’t take long before Toby was one of the pack, he and Emma became close. This is exactly what I had been looking for, Emma had a snuggle buddy again. Toby was a true gentle giant, he weighed about 82 lbs and he is tall and long. He could easily put himself between me and the back of the couch, never hurting or laying on me. I grew to love this boy very quickly. We visited the kennel on a regular basis. Toby and Emma became a normal part of the pack at the kennel, playing and running with the house hounds. Toby was a fairly healthy boy during his 4 years with us.

On Jan 11,2012 we lost Emma to Osteosarcoma. Emma is my heart dog, our bond was indescribable. I was lying in bed that horrible day and noticed a lump on Toby’s right rear leg. It felt like it was in his large upper muscle. Two days later we were at the vet, who thought it was a muscle issue and gave him drugs to help. A week later this lump was the size of a racquet ball in his leg; back to the vet we go. This time they attempted to get FNA from the lump, drawing back only blood. They did not know what it was! By now it was the first week of February. I decided that it was time to go to OSU. On Feb 7th we had our appointment with Dr. Couto. He went over some tests he wanted to run along with an ultrasound of the tumor. The OSU staff ran a lot of tests that day with no certain diagnoses. Dr. Couto decided that a biopsy needed to be done on the tumor to obtain a sample. I agreed and Toby was scheduled for surgery the next day. I dropped Toby off for the biopsy and left to get something to eat. Dr. Couto’s student called me and told me that Dr. Couto needed to see me because they found something on his chest xray. At this point I was almost not able to drive but I made it back. Dr. Couto told me that Toby had nodules in his lungs, showing me the xray. My heart nearly fell out! Dr. Couto explained to me that they still needed to get the biopsy and that he was certain that that biopsy would come back as hemangiosarcoma. I had seen that before in forums but really did not know what it was. Toby’s surgery went well; they got the samples they needed before he started bleeding. He stayed in the ICU at OSU that night. I returned to the clinic at 0730 the next morning and was able to take Toby out for his potty break. Dr. Couto met with me again and told me that he wanted to start Toby on chemo because he was sure that the biopsy results would match what he thought it was. I agreed and Toby stayed the day at OSU to receive the chemo. I picked him up that afternoon and Dr. Couto told me that he wanted us to stay in town till the next morning just to be sure everything was fine. Toby did well and we drove home in a terrible snow storm that Sat morning.

We started to use our regular vet to administer the chemo each and every Friday. Toby completed 4 cycles totaling 12 weeks of chemo. He never got delayed for blood values; his was good the whole time. Toby got to a point where he started acting like he did several years ago. It was like he thought he was a puppy again. Everyone including myself was amazed at how well the chemo was working. So at the end of the fourth cycle Toby had another chest xray, as required at the end of each 6 weeks. This time I heard what I feared worst, the nodules in his lungs had grown, and that was on April 27th. I contacted Dr. Couto the beginning of the next week. He said that the chemo protocol Toby was on did not produce the results we had hoped for. Now I was told at OSU that the protocol would work for a little while but Toby could not stay on it forever. Dr. Couto told me that we could try artemisinin and a different oral chemo. I got all the drugs and started Toby on this on May 7th. By the end of that week I could tell a difference in Toby. Toby started really going downhill on Sat the 12th. He had started to cough and the leg with the tumor had swelled and bruised. By Sunday night he had progressed even more, he was unsteady on his feet and would walk into things. While I was laying there with him I looked him straight in the eyes and I could see that he was ready.

A lot has happened in my life since losing Emma on Jan 11, 2012. I never thought that I would have lost both of them within months. I have had a major cervical spine surgery and been out of work for months. John came to us and immediately became a part of the family. My marriage fell apart during all this also, making things even more complicated. I know without a doubt that I did good by both Toby and Emma. I do not regret anything I did for either one of them as far as treatment or knowing when enough was enough. Toby left this world May 14th, 2012 at 8:50am. He is now running free at the rainbow bridge with his Emma and he got to meet my Shaft today. I learned a life lesson with Toby, and that is that when you go through something as bad as cancer with a person or pet you form a bond like no other. I gave him my everything for the last 15 weeks.

I cannot thank Dr. Couto and the staff at Ohio State University’s Veterinary Medical Center. Without them Toby would have been gone months ago. I am going to say that Dr. Couto’s program there is the best in the world for caring for our greyhounds. I sat here this afternoon reflecting on Toby’s life, how many people he has impacted and I was amazed at how many people cared for my boy. The greyhound community is like no other, we are a family by one common interest.

I love you buddy! Godspeed my sweet Toby! Until we meet again………

Beautiful tribute to Toby...the love you shared will always be there in your heart. With all of your losses lately, no one can take that bond you had away. We all know you did everything you could and made sacrifices. No one can ask for more than that and more importantly, Toby was loved and knew he was loved.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest TeddysMom

My heart breaks for your loss. I loved reading Toby's story, thank you for sharing it with us. You gave Toby so much love that I can feel it in your tribute, he will live on in your heart.

What a horrible time you've had of it recently! :grouphug: Toby and Emma certainly knew your love for them was the most enduring thing in your life, and you were together 'til the end had to come. With all you've been through, the love and the losses, the pain will out-weigh the joy for awhile, but the love you have to give will come surging back in time to fill all that emptiness with joy again. Until then, take gentle care of yourself. :bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Toby was a special boy and you are right, going through a battle like cancer with them bonds you to them even closer than one can believe. I am sorry he left but am glad you got 3 extra months with your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you so much for sharing Toby's story.

You have had a tough few months.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry you've lost your Toby. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:grouphug Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure that Emma and Toby are cuddling and playing together right now over the Rainbow Bridge. They were lucky to have you in their lives.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Ah Jason- I knew I shouldn't have read this at work. I will say it was an honor to have met your boy and I really admire all you have done for him. Death will never break the bond of love. He will always be close to your heart.

{{{{{{{{{{Toby's Dad}}}}}}}}}}

Rest well, precious boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Such a beautiful tribute to your boy. I'm so sorry. Take care of yourself. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm very, very sorry for the loss of Toby and Emma before him. That was a lovely tribute.

:grouphug:f_white:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thank you for sharing Toby's story with us...I truly enjoyed reading it because your love for him came through in every word. I am very sorry for your loss, and all of the hardship you have been through lately. Hugs to you during this difficult time.

Run free with the other other Angels, Toby...

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)