Lucas The Cat (Formely Miss Kitty)

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

I hope you guys bear with me but I am really sad today and need to write a bit.

Some of you may remember about a month ago I posted about a cat named Miss Kitty and asked how hard would it be to integrate her into our home. Miss Kitty was abandonded by some wonderful neighbors that lived across the street when they moved,,maybe 5 months ago. I guess they felt taking thier cat was too much work.. I saw miss kitty trying to eat grease out of the back of a neighbor's truck. I could see she was starving so I fed her,,and she started living on my porch. She didn't leave the porch for 3 weeks so I decided that I guess she was mine. Right after I decided that ,she started wandering a bit,,but always came back,,I guess doing what cats do, going on patrol. I noticed though she never seemed to eat very much at all and assumed she had another food source too,,or heck maybe another house,,but I decided she was mine. We would sit on he porch next to each other and watch the sun go down,,she purred everytime I touched her and if she saw me she would run up to me to be petted. the sweetest cat I ever knew and even my DW decided we will let her into the house after we return from our cruise in a couple more weeks. But,,she still didn't seem right with her appetite.

So here in our city they have a thing called The Big Meow,,it is free spaying/neutering, a microchip,flea treatment and shots,,all for outside cats and all for free. So I decided I didn't need Miss Kitty having kittens and I took her in,,when she was returned to me she was Mr Kitty. Seemed that Mr Kitty was a boy and had been altered so he got a free "high", all the rest of the goodies and a name. He became Lucas.

We decided to board Lucas when on our trip (our greyhound,,Princess Leia,,has a sitter's house she will be at) and when we got back we would integrate him into the household. In order to board him at the vet I was going to use he needed a wellness exam so I scheduled that. Yet,,he still seemed to be off. His appetite was worse. Although he would run to eat when I brought out food,,he barely ate much. Yet he was still a super loving boy, still purring and still greeting me.

So Tuesday I took him to the vet and the vet knew he was in trouble. He only weighed 7 pounds,,down from 8 that he was for the big Meow (and way under weight) so we had a battery of tests run and we were sent home with vitamins and appetite enhancers to get him going. I also noticed he liked to eat sauce but not the food so when we got home I starte pureeing his food. That along with the appetite enhancer seemed to work,,he was eating more,,but not enough. Yesterday evening we got the news. He was in kidney failure. Seems that before we got him the streets took it's toll. The previous owners could have surrendered him to the no kill shelter we have for cats,,but they did not and he paid the price. The vet said he needed to go to the bridge. There was very little to be done. For the last two days he did nothing but sleep. The vet said we could try to hydrate him,,but he is 10 years old and there was only a 20% chance it would even work,,probably less.

So this morning we had to cowboy up for an hour and take Lucas to meet his maker. The rest of the day is lost to me. I fell in love with a cat I barely knew,,but he will live in my heart forever. My wife and myself are just lost today

RIP Lucas,,,Godspeed and I hope to see you at the bridge.

ETA: I wanted everyone to know Lucas already had a nickname,,,Lewckee (lou-key),,,,I have two pictures of him but cannot get them off of my cell phone

Edited by FordRacingRon

I'm so sorry to hear about Lucas. He sounds like a great cat.

I have two cats that came to me in almost exactly the same way (semi-feral outdoor kittens abandoned when the family moved and took their momma with them); used to be 3, the streets took their toll on her as well. So I can imagine to a degree how you feel.

You did so much for him, he surely knew he was loved.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I'm so sorry. I remember your posts about Lucas and how much he meant to you. You and your family are wonderful for taking such good care of him. :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry. Thank you for making sure he was loved and well cared for.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am so sorry to hear of Lucas, RIP sweet boy, and God bless you for taking care of that sweet kitty.

All that mattered was that the end, he was not alone and he knew that he was loved.

:f_white

You and your wife were kind to one fallen on hard times. The lost ones and those down on their luck will be talking about you at the Rainbow Bridge for months to come.

I'm so very sorry he couldn't stay longer.

Godspeed, special kitty.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I'm glad Lucas found you. I wish he could have stayed longer.

Godspeed Lucas.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:grouphug I love the picture you painted of sitting on the porch together with your buddy. You were blessed to have found each other. I'm so sorry Lucas had to leave.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh :( I am so sorry for your loss of Lucas. You gave him the very best gift of knowing he was loved. Remember the times sitting on the porch listening to him purr. That is LOVE. He will be waiting for you at the bridge.

Godspeed Lucas. :angelwings

I am so sorry. Lucas left this world knowing he was loved. Thank you for caring for him.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry :( it does sound like Lucas knew he was home and you made his life a content and happy one. You were his angel here one earth, RIP Lucas. I too loved the picture you painted in my mind of sitting on the porch w/your buddy, such a nice memory.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I'm so sorry Lucas had to leave so soon. You had something beautiful together, and you were each blessed by the other.

:grouphug:f_white:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a sad story to know that his guardians left him behind. What a blessing that Lucas found you and you found Lucas. It was a short time that you had each other but in the end Lucas knew what love was from his humans. Today I weep with you. Godspeed Lucas you really were loved on this earth.......

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I'm sorry you lost your sweet boy, Ron. :cry1 At least he knew he was loved and safe. Know that he will live on forever in your heart. :beatheart Godspeed, sweet Lucas... :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss, though I understand exactly how you feel. At least he knew that there were caring and loving people in the world and at the end, he wasn't

alone. How kind you and your DW were to try to help him when he needed it most.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so sorry, Ron. Thank you for welcoming Lucas into your home and your heart.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.