Silver

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Saying it makes it real

Silver Spade 11/4/99 – 2/22/12

SilverTheScentofSpring.jpg

Silver Scenting Spring

I've been slow to post here the news that Silver is gone. I did say something brief on Facebook -- and notified some of his adoption group people-- he was adopted from Connecticut Greyhound Adoption, twice. The first time was after running for many years at Plainfield, CT. And when his first family had to return him to the group, he stayed with a lovely young woman named Melissa, and her daughter, who was very good with greyhounds, and then came to me the day before Valentine's Day, 2009. I considered him a Valentine adoption. He was diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer a month after he came to me; he beat it, using Chinese Herbal medicine as a follow-up to the surgery at his holistic vet's recommendation and he didn't develop any more lumps or bumps or metastases for almost 3 years. He also held his own against weakening back and hindquarters, again with the help of other Chinese Herbal supplements and regular acupuncture. I presumed he would be the one to make it to 14. He was supposed to be 14 -- my big, soft bunny boy who loved everyone in the whole wide world.

SilverCloseUp.jpg Silver Close up

I waited to post till I'd gotten past a lot of crying -- and surely, I am extremely thankful that he didn't suffer and that he graced my home for almost three years, and as time goes by, I am more aware and appreciative of all the little (but enormous) things that Silver did and gave -- so why does the simple act of typing this little bit bring me back to crying? And why does thinking of simple things, like adding another member to my pack, seem suddenly so daunting and make me think that were Silver here, all welcomes would be smooth as silk -- smooth as his bunny fur. Because that's just what Silver did -- he was the embodiment of love, and acceptance, and softness -- the grounding force in our home and the welcome maker for new hounds. He who smoothed paths and guarded doorways. He without whom life is a little colder, a little more forbidding.

Silver visitsChristmasTimeInWickford014.jpg

I don't know what, if anything, happened on the night of Saturday the 21st. It was snowing. They had played a little in the afternoon, I didn't take Silver for a mini-walk, figured I would do so on Sunday. Silver, you see, loved Walks more than anything in the world -- in really bad weather, a tiny walk would do; if he felt poorly, or I did, we could walk around Marge and Charlie's yard-- but it was a walk and so it was good. I think it's probably just as well that we didn't go down the road because he might have had his problem down the street somewhere. Marge and Charlie were down in Maryland visiting her daughter and granddaughter.

Anyway, there was no overt injury Saturday night. It was just that Silver went into the bedroom, and went to sleep, very early, this was unusual...because he normally slept in whatever room I was in until I went to bed. That night when I did go to bed, he moved himself into the study and, seemingly made himself comfortable, and went to sleep in here. This was extremely unusual and I thought I would find him back in the bedroom in the morning. But in the morning, he wasn't back in the bedroom next to me. (Always, when I put my feet over the side of the bed, they would be greeted by a furry tummy as he smoothly roached and waited for me to rub the furry belly with my toe. Always.) I called and the other 3 dogs went out to do their business. I went in to get Silver, sometimes he didn't hear well when he was sound asleep, and he couldn't get up. At first I thought it was his hindquarters that gave out, like Shiloh's had... but his neck was slightly curved backward and he couldn't move his front legs at all.

I brought the others in from the snow. Agnes insisted on getting back in the corner behind him and laying down with one arm across his fanny, I tried to make her move once but she came right back there. Bravo laid so his paw could touch Silver's back, toward his hind quarters. I have never had two greyhounds as close as Bravo and Silver were. When they slept, they almost inevitably touched each other -- a paw, a head, a back. And Bravo had even taken to grooming Silver's head intermittently.

I called my daughter, and scrambled for phone numbers of house call vets while I was covering him and slipping a small pillow under his head. I reached one vet who could not come and left messages with two others and prayed one of them would get back to me soon. I kept my voice calm because I didn't want him to panic --- he couldn't move, my Silver couldn't move... and checking further I found his tongue, and gums and lips and ears were white and cold as ice and his front lets were as stiff as if rigor mortise had set in. I then realized that Agnes and Bravo were touching him in the only areas he could feel. The vet who lived nearest called me quite soon and said she'd be here as soon as she finished digging out, and she was. She quickly determined that Silver was suffering from something called Schiff Sherrington Syndrome, which I had not heard of --- it is when a disk collapses and, in the process cuts the spinal cord. While the vet was preparing the injection, Silver took a series of deep, but not labored, breaths and on the last one -- I could see him leave his body the same way that he ran up to the house from the back corner of the yard, gathering himself like a magnificent horse and launching himself upward, almost in slow motion-- with an expression of great joy on his face as he loped up to the patio and came up the deck stairs and into the house. He left his body exactly like that, and by the time I reached him followed by the vet --- he was well gone. He took things into his own paws.

Silver survived cancer, he survived being relocated. He was so dearly loved by my neighbor, who was the one who always walked him on her left side when we walked all my dogs together that she said to me this past weekend that she was glad she hadn't been home the weekend he died, because she didn't think she could have borne to come over to say goodbye. I have gotten so many messages of condolence, and I know that the people we see as we walk the other dogs around the block in good weather will miss him deeply -- he was always the one to stand and let the babies and toddlers touch is soft, soft fur. When you asked "Walk?" he bounced like a hobby horse, full of joy. He expressed his joy and his love for his people and other people who loved him with such sweet, gentle sincerity .. leaning, wiggling, looking up at you. I am trying to recall how Silver reminded me to be happy, to be thankful in a hundred different, yet simple ways. It will still take some time before I can look at his picture, or write about him, without crying. I am astonished by the vastness of my love for that simple, gentle greyhound... a healer, and a grounder. Truly one of a kind.

I will love him forever and ever.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful tribute.

Run pain-free Silver. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Carla, I am so very sorry for your loss of Silver. He sounds like a wonderful pup full of spirit and was just about near perfect. I am sure you have huge hole in your heart and in time it will get better but know Silver is forever grateful for finding his way into your home and your life. You were meant to be together.

Run free Silver, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Your beautiful tribute to a wonderful soul was perfect, as was he for you. I am sorry very, very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Silver.

Love that captures the heart and touches the soul remains forever.

Hold the special memories close to your heart

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So handsome, and so sweet :wub: :wub: .

I'm sorry for your loss.

Run with the angels, Silver.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Silver was very special. :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest PhillyPups

Carla, I am so very very sorry for your loss. There are no words to ease the pain, only time to get used to the pain being a part of us. :bighug

Run with the angels Handsome Silver, you are with the very very best.

In reading your tribute to such a special boy, I am reminded and still mourning my wonderful Stepper, it sounds like they were two of a kind. Ah the lessons taught by our angels are life changing.

:bighug to you

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He was as handsome as he was special.

Godspeed Silver.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)